Why become a member? ×

Plectrum advice

ardi100

As stated in the title, really!

I haven't played with a pick for decades and I have an audition coming up with a few songs that really need it to nail the sound.

Firstly, which picks do you recommend for a pick-averse bass player.

Secondly, how the hell do I use it?

For a pick averse player I’d go for something around 0.73 to 0.88mm, nothing too rigid. I’d also go for something quite large so there’s plenty to grip. Dunlop do triangle shaped picks which is also a bonus as each point works as a pick so if it rotates in your grip you can still use it quite easily. 

I’ve loads of picks so PM me your details and I’ll send a few over if that’s any help.

• Like 6

A real revelation for me was moving to a thinner, more flexible pick. I've always been a fingerstyle player, but have tried briefly a couple of times over the years to play with a pick. As it's a bass I thought I needed a really thick inflexible pick and never got on with it, and stupidly never tried anything else.

Recently again I needed to use a pick for a couple of songs and I think on the back of something I read on here, I bought a multipack of Dunlop picks. I've now found I get on best with the orange .60 and particularly the red .50 ones. I'm still rubbish with a pick, but much better than I was!

Edited by AxelF

I like the Dunlop 0.73mm (yellow?) ones, they're a good balance between being too flimsy and they still have a decent percussive attack.

When I started playing electric bass I used to use the 3mm purple Dunlop picks all the time, but I tried one again recently and it was like trying to play with a Lego block.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I found the thicker picks, while you'd think they'd be great for bass, transferred quite a lot of vibration into my hand, specifically the thumb joint. Got quite uncomfortable Thinner Dunlops as Lozz suggests, I found ideal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I’ve loads of picks so PM me your details and I’ll send a few over if that’s any help.

Wow! That's very generous, thanks. I don't mind going to my local music shop and having a look at what they've got and buying a few different styles (although browsing for picks is pretty lame, isn't it!). 

And thanks for all the recommendations.

Once you've found the right one, how many do you have at a gig? Do you lose or drop them? 

I'm not worried about the audition, but I feel nervous about being left pick-less in the heat of the moment. I suppose I could always just play with fingers, but then the tone would be all different.

3 hours ago, ardi100 said:

As stated in the title, really!

I haven't played with a pick for decades and I have an audition coming up with a few songs that really need it to nail the sound.

Firstly, which picks do you recommend for a pick-averse bass player.

Secondly, how the hell do I use it?

I wouldn't overthink it. it's just another tool in the bag to use when needed. You're a bass player. were capable of anything

1 hour ago, ardi100 said:

Once you've found the right one, how many do you have at a gig? Do you lose or drop them? 

One and a spare in the bag. I keep my gamer tucked under the pickguard. I haven’t lost a pick for decades.

I've been through loads but have been settled on the 1mm blue tortex for some time. For me they have just the right attack but enough flexibility when you hit hard, and without the "thwacky" sound that can come from thinner picks.

P.s. I do always scuff them up a bit with some coarse sandpaper, which really helps with grip!

Edited by bakerster135

Been using these for years with both guitar and bass. Firm enough to have an attack but enough give in them to be comfortable. 

I usually have a handful stashed in my wallet and a couple readily available at gigs (often tucked into my cabinet between the grill and the cloth). 

IMG_6341.jpeg

• Like 1

The only way to find out which pick is the right one for you and the right one for the sound that works with your band is to try a load. 

For me the point of using a pick or finger is that the timing feel is different and I have gone for a pick (Herco Flex 75) that is very similar to the sound I get when I use my fingers. Interestingly I find that unlike most people on here my finger style playing is louder than my pick playing.

One thing to bear in mind is that just like EQ settings a pick that sounds great when you are playing on your own may not sound as good with the rest of the band. I found that hard picks in particular tend to produce a bass sound that disappears if your band includes a guitarist who favours clean single coil sounds. So go to your next rehearsal armed with picks in a variety of thickness and materials, and don't be surprised if the one that sounds great when playing with the band sounds weird when you are practicing at home.

• Like 2

What @BigRedX said. The variation in tone and perceived volume in differing settings will determine where you land on your choice, along with comfort.

I'd take up @Lozz196 offer of a variety  so you can try some out. 

Good luck with the audition 👍🏻 Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

John 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Interestingly I find that unlike most people on here my finger style playing is louder than my pick playing.

Mine too, confirmed by the LED readout on my compressor.