Why become a member? ×

Plectrum advice

ardi100

On 06/09/2024 at 15:26, ardi100 said:

Not really. 

I last used one in the early 90s. I have no recollection of what thickness. I just wondered if things had moved on since then and if so, what were people's experiences.

No more or less.

I started playing with my fingers, switched to a pick for six or seven years in the 80s and then back to fingers in 1990. I've no idea what picks I used all those years ago, only that I never felt 100% comfortable using them compared to fingers. 

58 minutes ago, peteb said:

I started playing with my fingers, switched to a pick for six or seven years in the 80s and then back to fingers in 1990. I've no idea what picks I used all those years ago, only that I never felt 100% comfortable using them compared to fingers. 

This!

I never used them as much as that, but I feel some techniques will need to be learned.

On 10/09/2024 at 21:05, ardi100 said:

This!

I never used them as much as that, but I feel some techniques will need to be learned.

I'm comfortable with both. Sometimes if my hand is playing up I'll use a pick live so as not to reach the limit of endurance, but other than that I select the method to suit the sound I'm after for any given song. It's good to keep well practiced at both.

On 05/09/2024 at 21:17, ardi100 said:

Once you've found the right one, how many do you have at a gig? Do you lose or drop them? 

I'm not worried about the audition, but I feel nervous about being left pick-less in the heat of the moment. 

I have a guitar strap which has slots cut in the leather end to hold three spare picks. I found picks the same colour, so you can't even see my emergency pick stash from a few feel away  :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

I'm comfortable with both. Sometimes if my hand is playing up I'll use a pick live so as not to reach the limit of endurance, but other than that I select the method to suit the sound I'm after for any given song. It's good to keep well practiced at both.

Some songs suit different techniques for sure. We have one in our set list I've never been happy with, tried it with a pick yesterday and it suddenly all fell into place.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

Same here. I reckon at least 25% of our average set requires me to play with a pick for "that sound". If my fingertips get too sore by the end of the night I'll often switch to a pick to alleviate the pain. Although luckily our usual set closers are pick songs.

Edited by Greg Edwards69
  • Like 1

I switch between fingers and pick depending on the song, tried all different gauges, settled on 2mm then found I couldn't grip them very well after a few songs. Started using Acoustik Attak XLs, like the shape of them and they are easier for me to grip, not cheap though. Hard part for me is keeping everything from the shoulder down as relaxed as possible.

6 hours ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

Same here. I reckon at least 25% of our average set requires me to play with a pick for "that sound". If my fingertips get too sore by the end of the night I'll often switch to a pick to alleviate the pain. Although luckily our usual set closers are pick songs.

Sometimes during rehearsals it's simply great fun to bang on some drive and really dig in with the pick to the Foo Fighters Breakout. I do enjoy that sort of twangy malarkey. It's good for the soul.

If Jaco had let rip and done that now and again he'd have been less uptight.

Edited by Bassfinger

1 hour ago, Bassfinger said:

Sometimes during rehearsals it's simply great fun to bang on some drive and really dig in with the pick to the Foo Fighters Breakout. I do enjoy that sort of twangy malarkey. It's good for the soul.

If Jaco had let rip and done that now and again he'd have been less uptight.

I don't know, I think it was the sweaters that really did his head in.

IMG_0778.thumb.jpeg.114f3664342acae968c3f435c8756516.jpeg

IMG_0779.thumb.jpeg.66164133e22e1c78d5ad9bca42020e66.jpeg

IMG_0780.jpeg.17cd0205460cc0283c8519baa749db65.jpeg

I reckon if he'd gone to a reputable gentleman's outfitters and got properly attired he might not have ended up so radged. If I'd had to wear any of those I'd have been livid. 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, meterman said:

I don't know, I think it was the sweaters that really did his head in.

IMG_0778.thumb.jpeg.114f3664342acae968c3f435c8756516.jpeg

IMG_0779.thumb.jpeg.66164133e22e1c78d5ad9bca42020e66.jpeg

IMG_0780.jpeg.17cd0205460cc0283c8519baa749db65.jpeg

I reckon if he'd gone to a reputable gentleman's outfitters and got properly attired he might not have ended up so radged. If I'd had to wear any of those I'd have been livid. 

If I remember this correctly, Joe Zawinul recounted that Jaco was wearing two non-matching shoes when they first met, and that's long before the drugs. Just that type of guy!

• Like 1

On 06/09/2024 at 11:43, pst62 said:

I'm mainly play finger style, but when I use a pick I use these.

IMHO They are far better for grip than any of the other brands I've tried.

Available in many thicknesses here.

https://www.guitarsuperstore.com/snarling-dogs-105-c.asp

Brain Picks.jpg

I'd like to try these someday but I'm yet to find anywhere that sells them in smaller quantities than a tin of 12. I'd happily buy 3 each of purple .60, red .73 and black .88 to try, but don't want 12 of each! 

I asked in another pick thread and didn't get an answer, but is the grip on these similar in feel to that of the Dunlop Max Grips? I wanted to like that grip but wasn't all that keen on it, yet am still curious about these for some reason even though they look similar. Also are they similar in flex to Dunlop nylons? Thanks. 

Just the other day I came to the realisation that thinner picks are a lot less taxing on the wrist and fingers, I switched from using 1.14mm Tortex III's (my favourite for playing guitar) to using 0.60mm Dunlop Grips, I think they sound great and the grip portion definitely seems effective.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, dmc79 said:

I'd like to try these someday but I'm yet to find anywhere that sells them in smaller quantities than a tin of 12. I'd happily buy 3 each of purple .60, red .73 and black .88 to try, but don't want 12 of each! 

I asked in another pick thread and didn't get an answer, but is the grip on these similar in feel to that of the Dunlop Max Grips? I wanted to like that grip but wasn't all that keen on it, yet am still curious about these for some reason even though they look similar. Also are they similar in flex to Dunlop nylons? Thanks. 

Yes, they have a much more substantial grip than the Dunlops. As for flex, they're no different to any other 1.0 I've used. It might be worth trying ebay for smaller quantities.

• Thanks 1

Interesting to see all the comments re thin rather than thick picks. I always find thin picks on bass to be too thin sounding. I am finding I am using a pick less and less nowadays but there are songs that just need it.

I have gone heavier over the years and when using them my gotos are all Dunlop 3mm, either Big Stubby (475-300), Primetone (510-300), Flow Jumbo (547-300), or Primetone Classic Sharp (should be 477-300 but I can only see 500 which is too much even for me!! 🤣

Edited by WalMan
Update comment

On 21/09/2024 at 17:47, pst62 said:

Yes, they have a much more substantial grip than the Dunlops. As for flex, they're no different to any other 1.0 I've used. It might be worth trying ebay for smaller quantities.

Thanks. My usual place for picks (Dirty Riffs Guitar Shop on eBay) doesn’t stock them, and I can’t see anywhere selling them in less than 12. Never mind.