Why become a member? ×

Ultra Lightweight Cabs

SuperSeagull

Take a look at the new Markbass MB58R line of cabs. In 'Pure' spec they are insanely light - BF-esque. I have the 2x10 and it's an excellent cab. Much nicer than the MB NY122 I had prior.

I went through this process about 20 years ago, after knackering my back lifting very heavy cabs for many years, and now that's being compounded by age!!

I need 4 things from a cab, clarity, great tone, light weight and portability. After trying a few different makes I settled on Barefaced. They were the only quality lightweight cab manufacturer at  the time, and while they have some competitors these days I wouldn't change. BF's still tick all my boxes.

I owned BF 10's and the 12's and finally settled on 2 112 Super Compacts. They are the cloth grill models, to shave a few lbs off the total. They weigh 22lbs (10kg) each and are loud enough that I haven't been overpowered by a guitarist in years. They fill the room, and the stage, with their great dispersion. I wouldn't get a 212 because it is too heavy. IMO 2 112's is the best, most flexible and portable rig for a damaged back.

They are not cheap, but my back doesn't care about budgets, so I buy what I need.

I use Aguilar amps.

Edited by chris_b
  • Like 3

As much as weight is important, also consider the handle, how they are place and how they balance when carried. The other thing is to get a decent trolley. The Wolfcraft TS 660/850 range are excellent, When I bought mine it was £70 but they have gone up somewhat since. I tried several others but this has lasted really well.

• Like 3

I bought a GR Bass AT800 Cube combo. The driver on it blew a few weeks ago, possibly due to me putting too much dirt into it (when I used the same patch with a Tecamp Puma 900 and BC 112 Mk3, it made some rather unpleasant noises). I've now replaced the speaker and will be using it again. I went for a combo because it meant that not only did I have a lightweight cab, I didn't have to carry an amp (albeit a very light one) as well. On reflection, maybe I should have gone for a GR Bass cab and used it with the Tecamp instead.

I've had Barefaced (Big Baby II and One10) and have a BC 112 Mk3, the forerunner of the LFSys range. I'd say GR Bass, Barefaced, and LFSys would all do a good job.

Edited by tauzero
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

. . . .  get a decent trolley. The Wolfcraft TS 660/850 range are excellent, When I bought mine it was £70 but they have gone up somewhat since. I tried several others but this has lasted really well.

For the last 15 years or so, I've also used Wolfcraft TS 850. I use it less now I have the Super Compacts but it's a life saver when I can't park near the gig. It will take 2 112 cabs, an amp box and the accessories bag.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, pete.young said:

Have to say I'm very happy with my LFSys Monza, slightly over your spec at 11kg but a great sounding cab and an easy one-handed lift because the handle is in the right place.

That was what I was thinking about as I also have a Monza.

• Like 2

In terms of lightweight cabs,   Does anyone have experience of using similarly configured Barefaced/GR Bass/LfSys cabs. 
It would be very interesting to know if, and how, they differ in terms of sound characteristics. 
If they do have a "Character" how does this differ between them? 
It's pretty much impossible to compare how they sound in the same place with a similar head (and Bass?).   So a little insight would be very helpful in making a choice. 

Hmm ...... maybe at a Bass Bash .......... Doners bring cabs etc for a "face off"  Blind if you like ...........     

This was one of @Phil Starr's excellent presentations at the SW Bash.

CabShootout.JPG.d1c8df1596f74d5f2ed23f27ffed8fd6.JPG

There was indeed a GR cab at the shootout. The cabs tested were the LFSys Silverstone, LFSys Monaco, Barefaced BB3, GR 2x12 (don't know the model) and - over to the left in the photo, RCF 745.

• Like 4

I have a BF Midget which is really light. I also have a GRBass 208 (2 x 8" with tweeter) - which is 4Ohm. You are welcome to try either or both out - but not at the same time as I need to use one of them. We can meet up as before.

6 hours ago, stevie said:

This was one of @Phil Starr's excellent presentations at the SW Bash.

CabShootout.JPG.d1c8df1596f74d5f2ed23f27ffed8fd6.JPG

There was indeed a GR cab at the shootout. The cabs tested were the LFSys Silverstone, LFSys Monaco, Barefaced BB3, GR 2x12 (don't know the model) and - over to the left in the photo, RCF 745.

From memory the consensus was that the LFSys was the best, the  GR was the least liked of the three brands but hopefully others will chime in. As am LFSys user and friend of @stevie I could be accused of bias, however I am trying to reflect the consensus. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, warwickhunt said:

Why can't you cut the whole transition to IEM... and just go IEM?  

I'm not a 'total' convert or advocate of them but they absolutely work in a LOT of situations, even in small band/pub gigs.  

Some people are just anti-iem our BL refuses and I suspect that at least one guitard would as well. The drummer who is the eldest by far, is all for it. The BL supplies the PA, a powered mixer with no outputs other than the two speaker outputs. I have offered to use my digital mixer and active speakers but BL says no.

2 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

Some people are just anti-iem our BL refuses and I suspect that at least one guitard would as well. The drummer who is the eldest by far, is all for it. The BL supplies the PA, a powered mixer with no outputs other than the two speaker outputs. I have offered to use my digital mixer and active speakers but BL says no.

To be fair I've had a love/hate (love) relationship with them BUT if 'I' was likely to be incapacitated carrying gear about, they'd be my absolute go to solution!  

I realise the factors of each band/individual would vary inc' PA abilities but it does sound like needs must and maybe the OP needs to take the step?  :/

13 hours ago, warwickhunt said:

Why can't you cut the whole transition to IEM... and just go IEM?  

I'm not a 'total' convert or advocate of them but they absolutely work in a LOT of situations, even in small band/pub gigs.  

Its a good idea. I've used IEMs before - not the greatest fan but I would use them again. I don't think the rest of the band are up for it at this stage and we'd need an upgrade to our PA as well. 

I have to make compromises, being in a 5 piece especially as the band leader, although the youngest, is also the most tech averse or maybe averse to losing control?

If I had my way we would use them but it’s not worth breaking up the band for YET. 

Even if you do use them it does not necessarily mean that you ditch your rig. There is a space for a hybrid solution if your PA is not up to scratch. 

So many great ideas on here, thanks all for your input. I'm settled on dropping the combo plus an additional cab and going for amp plus two cabs - keeps everything as flexible and light as possible. I was tempted by the BF One10 x 2 route as a modular solution but not convinced its the right idea for the type of band I tend to play in. Ideal would be a couple of BF Super Compacts so will be looking out for those s/h. Now, they come in at between 10 and 12 kg, my current MB NY121 is only 13kg so possibly find another of those, new amp on the top and, I think the smartest idea of all, a trolley. But I'm still considering options and in the meantime my back is improving thanks to my chiropracter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SuperSeagull said:

So many great ideas on here, thanks all for your input. I'm settled on dropping the combo plus an additional cab and going for amp plus two cabs - keeps everything as flexible and light as possible. I was tempted by the BF One10 x 2 route as a modular solution but not convinced its the right idea for the type of band I tend to play in. Ideal would be a couple of BF Super Compacts so will be looking out for those s/h. Now, they come in at between 10 and 12 kg, my current MB NY121 is only 13kg so possibly find another of those, new amp on the top and, I think the smartest idea of all, a trolley. But I'm still considering options and in the meantime my back is improving thanks to my chiropracter.

FWIW, the Markbass MB58R 121 Pure and Energy are 11.1kg and 11.6kg respectively.  They would definitely be worth considering.  It's a shame they haven't built an MB58R in the NY121 form factor though. I reckon that would be a big seller.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SuperSeagull said:

You could pop along to the South West Bass Bash in a few weeks and try many of these cabs.