Why become a member? ×

Guttlin Helectrix

Sambrook

There's something 'almost but not quite' about the styling - looks like with a couple of tweaks of proportion it would be striking rather than lumpen. The rudimentary hardware & janky retro-style pickups look horrible & the Danelectro knockoff headstock doesn't work.

I quite like the scratchplate design but don't get why there's a huge bit of it where the controls aren't. And where they are, they just look like they've been sort of abandoned there.

Maybe I just don't understand it - but hey - at least it's not yet another Precision, right? :D

i tried one a while ago, it was well built, looked and sounded good, the only thing i noticed was the weak E string. but that seems to be a weakness of the short scale? i’m still contemplating getting one though…

and yes, i do like the design, works for me, but obviously not everybody’s cup…

Edited by triplebass

1 hour ago, triplebass said:

the only thing i noticed was the weak E string. but that seems to be a weakness of the short scale?

Weak E string on a short scale bass is entirely due to having the wrong strings on it. I always thought my Burns Sonic bass had a poor E string sound and I would go to great lengths to avoid using it. Ultimately it turned out to be the fact the Rotosound (which was pretty much all that was available when I first started playing) are incapable of making decent strings that aren't 34" scale standard gauges and once I'd switched to Newtone, the E string was as good as all the others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1