Why become a member? ×

A 3000w Trickfish amp!?!? Golly!

kwmlondon

"hand made chassis" a smith is hammering the casing out by hand?

2x1500watt at 8Ohm, why not call it a 5000watt amp then if that's what it runs at 4Ohm? 

The marketing lingo throwing up dust clouds. This all sounds like Bugera trickery to me.

Bullhead? I think what comes out the other end of the bull.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Bolo said:

"hand made chassis" a smith is hammering the casing out by hand?

2x1500watt at 8Ohm, why not call it a 5000watt amp then if that's what it runs at 4Ohm? 

The marketing lingo throwing up dust clouds. This all sounds like Bugera trickery to me.

Bullhead? I think what comes out the other end of the bull.

Presumably they're quoting what it puts out with 2 x 8ohm loads as it has two separate power sections. Not a bad idea really, I can remember when Ashdown released the Superfly/Little Giant heads and people were a bit annoyed when they realised they'd be unable to get the full power output from their new amps as they didn't own 2 x 4ohm cabs. Better to under promise and over deliver sort of deal.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

...and people were a bit annoyed when they realised they'd be unable to get the full power output from their new amps...

Full power, again. I think people should understand the difference between loudness, impedance, and wattage. But no, watts everywhere.

"I need a 4 ohm cab to get full power out of my amp."

Oh dear.

But the amp looks decent, although the price tag doesn't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, itu said:

Full power, again. I think people should understand the difference between loudness, impedance, and wattage. But no, watts everywhere.

"I need a 4 ohm cab to get full power out of my amp."

Oh dear.

But the amp looks decent, although the price tag doesn't.

Unfortunately that's exactly how most bass players rate amps, blame the companies that market them that way.

It didn't help that the Superfly sounded a bit underpowered if just used with a single cab that wasn't particularly sensitive, so buyers with a less than stellar single cab would have been a bit underwhelmed with their new 500w amp. I got enough volume for rehearsals out of mine with a decent Deltalite equipped 1x10 but had mixed results with other cabs.

At the end of the day they have to slap some sort of power rating on it and I think if you'e producing an amp that only gets it's max rating with a cab configuration most players don't have then it's safe to just rate it like they have done.

• Like 2

While talking about amps and amps only, wattage is fine. But a system with an amp and a cab produces dBs (and heat). There's no service which could tell us about loudness a system is able to push out. Or the quality of the sound.

Edited by itu

hey guys, Jake from Trickfish here.  Maybe I can clarify couple things.

The quoted wattage ratings for the 3K's dual amplifier outputs are RMS ratings per the power module manufacturer (Pascal). 

The amplifier cannot be bridged at 3000 or 5000 W (8 or 4 ohms).  Each of the output channels was designed with enough wattage (1500 or 2500 at 8 or 4 ohms ) for that not really to be a necessary function.   

While the chassis is in fact machined/manufactured, the amp is hand built/assembled in Texas. I guess the PR could have been more accurate in that description.   🙂

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions that I can answer about the 3K. Here's a picture I took on a gig last week.  I cant say enough good things. 

IMG_5452.JPG

• Like 8

19 hours ago, J.Wolf said:

hey guys, Jake from Trickfish here.  Maybe I can clarify couple things.

The quoted wattage ratings for the 3K's dual amplifier outputs are RMS ratings per the power module manufacturer (Pascal). 

The amplifier cannot be bridged at 3000 or 5000 W (8 or 4 ohms).  Each of the output channels was designed with enough wattage (1500 or 2500 at 8 or 4 ohms ) for that not really to be a necessary function.   

While the chassis is in fact machined/manufactured, the amp is hand built/assembled in Texas. I guess the PR could have been more accurate in that description.   🙂

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions that I can answer about the 3K. Here's a picture I took on a gig last week.  I cant say enough good things. 

IMG_5452.JPG

Well Hi Jake from Trickfish! I honestly never expected someone from your company to reply to this post but cheers for the update and I wish you all the best with this amp. Good luck!

(what a nice man)

Thanks man!   We realize this amp isn't for everyone, and that in addition to achieving the tonal properties we were shooting for, it provides a pretty specific set of solutions for players as a backline rig, as a electric bass + keyboard bass rig, a wet/dry or clean/dirty setup etc...  

Mostly I just wanted to clarify the comments about our wattage rating specifications, and what that means for impedance possibilities. Most of this is addressed on our website 3K page and on the YouTube video we released specifically on the feature set of the 3K. 

Thanks for everyones interest and comments here!  

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/09/2024 at 15:10, J.Wolf said:

We realize this amp isn't for everyone...

Haha, you're right about that! I can't imagine needing so much power ever. Then again I don't do gigs but for those who don't believe in in-ears and need/want to run three 8 Ohm cabinets it might be a solution. For the time being my Bullhead Mini 500 (plus TF112) serves me well.

17 hours ago, Treb said:

Haha, you're right about that! I can't imagine needing so much power ever. Then again I don't do gigs but for those who don't believe in in-ears and need/want to run three 8 Ohm cabinets it might be a solution. For the time being my Bullhead Mini 500 (plus TF112) serves me well.

No, but imagine the power!!!! Especially having a pair of 8x10" cabs - one clean and one distorted! Phwoaaaar!

On 17/09/2024 at 16:31, Treb said:

Totally, its a lot of power.  but really what it is, and what we were after is a lot of headroom, at ANY volume. the 3K sounds killer in a setting where one could easily use a 500w amp, and it can also do mondo power/volume for a loud band on a big stage.  So I dont think of it as though the wattage rating precludes it from being a fantastic sounding/performing amp at moderate volume levels and up. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, J.Wolf said:

Hey Andy! Certainly true, but I'm not clear on which comment you are responding to.

Your post above: 

"Totally, its a lot of power.  but really what it is, and what we were after is a lot of headroom, at ANY volume."

• Thanks 1

On 23/09/2024 at 19:50, agedhorse said:

Your post above: 

"Totally, its a lot of power.  but really what it is, and what we were after is a lot of headroom, at ANY volume."

I guess that comment was based on experiences like the one from the photo I posted above. That was a very loud gig on a loud outdoor stage, and even at that volume level, the amount of headroom was extremely noticeable and made for a super enjoyable and easy playing experience. I've played a lot of amps that can do loud, I haven't played many that can retain that degree of composure at those levels.  Not surprising given the power ratings I guess.

25 minutes ago, J.Wolf said:

I guess that comment was based on experiences like the one from the photo I posted above. That was a very loud gig on a loud outdoor stage, and even at that volume level, the amount of headroom was extremely noticeable and made for a super enjoyable and easy playing experience. I've played a lot of amps that can do loud, I haven't played many that can retain that degree of composure at those levels.  Not surprising given the power ratings I guess.

I would LOVE to have five minutes with that rig!!! Hehehe!