Why become a member? ×

Running out of steam!

theplumber

Been playing with current band for over two years. Great guys,decent songs and the band is super tight! Recently found myself daydreaming or something like that during gigs! Most gigs we do and currently this year it numbers over 50 from Jan through to Dec,are well attended and we tend to go over well and have punters come to see us from other venues. But in making the numbers up and keeping us busy I have booked a few pubs that just don't seem to have enough folk in to make a decent night. I know....paid practise and all that! But after storming a city centre venue and having a brilliant night we end up in gigs in the suberbs playing to folk who are standing with their backs to the band,watching 4 televisions or playing pool.....tumbleweed blowing between tunes lol. At first we took it on the chin but after a recent gig with at one point 4 folk in the pub I started thing I might be better off going for a walk on a Saturday night! In fact there are maybe more folk out on my local canal path than in some of the venues! It had been pointed out by members of the band that if we don't turn out and support these venues that thankfully at least try and put on music it may well an ever decreasing spiral of gigs going forward! Anyone else in similar situation? I put my notice in 3 weeks ago and will be having a meeting with the guys at the break today to arrange a date to finish with the band. The drummer is also going. The funny thing is that yesterday we played a well know Glasgow City centre venue in the afternoon and it was brilliant! The band on top form! Looking to bail out in about 8 weeks time . Did enjoy being off the last 3 weeks and it did revive me somewhat so maybe 3 to 6 months off might be a good idea and start looking for something else in the spring. There are a number of other reasons to stop,not just the gig situation....no new songs in the set for over two years,no one else from the band booking the gigs or looking for new venues and the usual.....Can we not do so many gigs,can we not go out in the winter,etc etc....moaning over! Run out of steam!!

• Sad 3

I've not been in that exact position (apart from the 'no new songs for x years' once) but I know that a lack of response from an audience does affect me negatively - more so than a negative response because at least that is a response. I would find it hard to be enthusiastic about those poorly attended gigs and if it looked like a trend that was getting more frequent, I think I'd be thinking the same as you. I would certainly take it through with the other band members and see if there is some alternative to jacking it in. It would be a shame to lose the work you've all obviously put in to get that tight and 'great guys, decent songs' seems to be something worth fighting for if some of the other posts on BC are to go by.

Maybe a full band break; take a few weeks and then start to have informal rehearsal/jams to see if the mojo is back?

Whatever you choose, good luck.

• Like 1

Fifty gigs a year, that’s on average almost one gig every weekend, do you rely on the gig money?, if not, then it’s almost like doing another job.

My solution would be to be very selective and weed out the poor gigs, this could possibly drop it down to 30 gigs per year and then use the freed up time between those gigs to learn some new songs.

• Like 3

Yes getting the gigs was pretty easy and yes now that we have tried some of the so called lesser gigs it does seem a better idea to stick to the decent ones. I don't rely on the gigs for money. I am retired so doing 50 plus gigs a year is fine with me. The fact is that we are all in our 60's and our keyboard player has decided that he will not change the set that the band has been doing for over 7 years. Or should I say he can't!. At times,and he does admit himself that he struggles with our set as it is at times. It's classic rock so it does not really matter to the punters as we shift around a lot anyway,what we play. If we added some new songs they would be at least 30 years old anyway! Our drummer is leaving as well. He has been playing in the band over 7 years and I think he is a fantastic drummer,great singer and really nice guy! I can't imagine playing with a differant drummer in that band. They have tried out a new bass player and drummer which has not worked out due to them not really putting the work in to the songs for the audition! I suppose it's hard and I should know. It took me at least a couple of months practice with the band before I got out gigging! There are other issues which I won't go in to so it's better I bail out and leave what has been a great band or me. No falling out and we have agreed an ending date which is 1st November.

• Like 2

we've got a gig coming up that is iffy attendance wise, it was decided that if it's poorly attended this time we won't play it again, we do practice new songs, to keep things fresh for us and the crowd,  otherwise there would be no point in practice nights, which involves going to the pub afterwards, most get dropped after a few outings when they don't go down too well, you don't say whether you have band rehearsals.

The band is run very much on a consensus basis, but  if someone really doesn't want to do something we don't do it, thankfully nobody uses their veto very often, well not since our last guitarist left 😄.

• Like 1

I felt that “ daydreaming “ feeling and what am I doing here at a recent audition !! 

The songs were dull, slow plodders that made me think what the hell are you doing !!

If it doesn’t work for you anymore then a break or new band is possibly the answer 

• Like 1

Yes thinking that. I will have a look around and see if anyone is looking. I have some dep work coming up with another band so that will keep my hand in. Stopping on 1st November and have cancelled some gigs in and around that time to let us wind down. The band intend to carry on and already taking bookings for next year so hopefully the right folk come along. Who knows maybe in about 6 months I may get a call asking me back lol