Why become a member? ×

Sting on BBC Radio 2 concert last night - sheer class

EJWW

Anyone else catch Mr Sumner on the telly last night performing at the Radio 2 concert in Preston?

I must have heard these songs hundreds of times and he's probably played them thousands but he keeps them so fresh and enjoyable. 

I've always loved Sting's bass playing but he really smashes it here. Lovely tasteful and interesting guitar playing by Dominic Miller too.

Give it a watch!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0022vt9

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I watched a bit but the way he does The Police songs now isn’t for me, sure they’re much better crafted now but I prefer them in their original form. Did think that his band were great though, a full sound with a remarkable amount of space, not an easy feat at all yet they seemed to manage it with ease.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I watched a bit but the way he does The Police songs now isn’t for me, sure they’re much better crafted now but I prefer them in their original form. Did think that his band were great though, a full sound with a remarkable amount of space, not an easy feat at all yet they seemed to manage it with ease.

Yep. I felt the same TBH.

I thought he played a lot of the Police stuff on a fretless...which wasn't evident last night, of the little that I saw anyway.

That aside, though. I'm seriously impressed by anyone that can sing/lead and play the bass st the same time... 

>Exit, Police fan back in the day<

His guitarist and drummer are excellent and they create a very musical and full sound with a very sparse line up.  But I wish somebody would take that 50s throwback from him and hand him a brand new Ibanez, or Yamaha, or something. I can hear his bass when I put the sound through my hi fi but it's awfully woolly 😂

Edited by gjones

12 minutes ago, gjones said:

His guitarist and drummer are excellent and they create a very musical and full sound with a very sparse line up.  But I wish somebody would take that 50s throwback from him and hand him a brand new Ibanez, or Yamaha, or something. I can hear his bass when I put the sound through my hi fi but it's awfully woolly 😂

I love woolly bass 👍

• Like 1

On 08/09/2024 at 19:20, Beedster said:

I love woolly bass 👍

owww i dont know, i dont think it would sound very good..

but it might stop people bitching about the weight 🙂

bass.jpg.4936f35d999bca717c8453b3460804eb.jpg🙂

Edited by funkgod
  • Haha 5

I've seen the Police at smallish venues over the years up until 84 .The most memorable one being  in 1979 at the Bridlington  Spa,i was right at the front that night he was using a Fretless P Bass and it sounded sublime. That gig last night was nowhere near the power they pushed out in the late 70s.

Dont need to say anymore about the totaly original and hugely talented Sting. Grew up with him and Ive played all his fantastic music. But the day he started that pretentious soft thumb thing was the day quality bass guitar playing died... and now everyones doing it and it sounds like mush.

Edited by diskwave
  • Like 1