Why become a member? ×

Changing Neck

tarcher

I have a 20 something year old Korean P type bass and I've recently acquired a Spector 24 fret neck which I'm intending putting on the P body.
The original neck has only 22 frets which means that I either have to cut a deeper pocket or move the bridge.
If I move the bridge,(which is an easier option and one that I prefer to do) which is being replaced with a Badass any way, what difference to the tone am I likely to hear.
Also the Spector neck is about 1/8 -3/16 of an inch narrower so I'm going to have to make and fit some spacers.
Any comments and advice would be gratefully recieved.

Moving the bridge towards the neck will have the same effect as moving the pickup towards the bridge - the pickups should sound a little brighter. Beyond that it's difficult to say - and how much change you would actually notice (especially given the other changes - new neck, new bridge - which are fairly major) is anyone's guess.

Judging by the variations you see in pickup placement, there doesn't seem to be an "optimum" pickup position at all.