Why become a member? ×

"Back to Bassics" - Oh god that's terrible!!

stufunkybass

Hi all,

I have decided to take some time out of gigging. After getting very dis-ilusioned by the lack of work and lack of money I was making from gigs.

After owning some very tasty basses and a very nice portable bass rig I have streamlined my equipment down to one bass!

The Bass is the Moon 5 string I have up for sale at the moment.

Anyway here's the question:

One Bass, one bass combo - to fit the bill for the occasional gig (not Wembley!).

I love Jazzes and am thinking Marcus Miller Jazz Bass and either Ampeg R100 or SWR Basic Black.

Havent got a fortune to spend so it's a new rig on a budget.

I have never gigged with just a combo before so would welcome some recommendations.

Cheers Guys

Stu

Edited by stufunkybass

So you're fed up that no one appreciates you, wants you to play and doesn't want to pay you when you do? Join the club!!

Keep going, don't give up, raise your game and fight back! You need to keep gigging to keep "match fit". Find out where the local "music mafia" hang out and get in with them. In my opinion a combo doesn't cut it. Good luck.

Stu - are you looking to sell the Moon & use the money to buy both a bass & a combo?

The MM basses are nice but a lot of people don't like the core tone circuit & replace them with a 'Marcus Retro'. By the time you've got a nice MM & fitted a retro for £200 you wouldn't have much left to buy a combo.

I've gigged with a combo plenty of times without many problems. Obviously there are massive differences between what's out there (especially with the new breed of class D heads & neo speakers).

The two most recent ones I've used were a MarkBass CMD112 which was really nice & a Genz-Benz Shuttle 300 with the 1x10 speaker. The Mark had more depth to it but the GB is brilliant for what I want as it's so tiny & weighs nothing but still has a decent gigging tone.

I've only gigged the GB whilst going through the PA though (in quite a large venue) & it needs to be raised as high as possible for the best use as a stage monitor. I bet it would hold its own against most amps out there for pub gigging - unless you plan on playing subsonic reggae :)

If you want to try a really low cost option bass then a lot of people have said very good things about the Squire Classic Vibe Jazz - only £250 brand new!

[quote name='molan' post='497144' date='May 25 2009, 10:58 AM']Stu - are you looking to sell the Moon & use the money to buy both a bass & a combo?

The MM basses are nice but a lot of people don't like the core tone circuit & replace them with a 'Marcus Retro'. By the time you've got a nice MM & fitted a retro for £200 you wouldn't have much left to buy a combo.

I've gigged with a combo plenty of times without many problems. Obviously there are massive differences between what's out there (especially with the new breed of class D heads & neo speakers).

The two most recent ones I've used were a MarkBass CMD112 which was really nice & a Genz-Benz Shuttle 300 with the 1x10 speaker. The Mark had more depth to it but the GB is brilliant for what I want as it's so tiny & weighs nothing but still has a decent gigging tone.

I've only gigged the GB whilst going through the PA though (in quite a large venue) & it needs to be raised as high as possible for the best use as a stage monitor. I bet it would hold its own against most amps out there for pub gigging - unless you plan on playing subsonic reggae :)

If you want to try a really low cost option bass then a lot of people have said very good things about the Squire Classic Vibe Jazz - only £250 brand new![/quote]

Hi mate,

That's the plan - sell the Moon and spend circa £500 for bass and buy a used bass combo for about £200 - £250. I've owned a SWR basic Black before and know what I'm getting. I've also played through a R100 and really like the tone too.

Cheers for your thoughts

Stu

[quote name='chris_b' post='497127' date='May 25 2009, 10:46 AM']So you're fed up that no one appreciates you, wants you to play and doesn't want to pay you when you do? Join the club!!

Keep going, don't give up, raise your game and fight back! You need to keep gigging to keep "match fit". Find out where the local "music mafia" hang out and get in with them. In my opinion a combo doesn't cut it. Good luck.[/quote]

Cheers Chris!

I love bass and really love shopping for kit too - so I'll be fine.

Thanks again

Stu

If you want a very giggable combo then this Trace at £300 would more than fir the bill [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=41491"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=41491[/url]

It's a 300w 4x10 so plenty of power & depth for gigging but obviously a big old beast to lug around :)