Why become a member? ×

Ian King Rig Rundown (from the pit on "Hamilton" at London's Victoria Palace Theatre).

fretmeister

Great video, fantastic player and musician.

I've played that bass and it is amazing in every respect, except for the weight, 11lbs if I remember correctly! I would love to own many Overwaters, but they are usually on the heavy side and I can't deal with the weight!!

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

The only Barts I've had have been the cheap ones in an Ibanez.

They are so bad I think they've probably damaged the brand a little.

Yeah, I've not heard good things about the cheap one's. Mine are the Original Single Coil J-Bass 9S and they are phenomenal.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I'm loving the tone he's getting with the Overwater and the EBS acoustic preamp.

I've never had an EBS anything - but now I'm thinking about it! :D Damn this GAS!

Exactly the same here, such a great tone and fantastic playing...

3 hours ago, chris_b said:

Great video, fantastic player and musician.

I've played that bass and it is amazing in every respect, except for the weight, 11lbs if I remember correctly! I would love to own many Overwaters, but they are usually on the heavy side and I can't deal with the weight!!

I asked for mine to be on the lighter side and they obliged. No idea of the actual weight but feels like standard fender.

4 hours ago, OliverBlackman said:

I asked for mine to be on the lighter side and they obliged. No idea of the actual weight but feels like standard fender.

Hi, any chance of getting the weight? I'd be very interested. Cheers

The most entertaining video on bass I've seen - thanks for sharing it!  Was so curious about bass in stage shows. I had a great bass teacher for a year or two (Mike Nichols in Guildford) who like Ian King, played in West End orchestra pits and also, I see, Overwater basses. Also they've a John East preamp connection.

Mike advised me when thinking about buying a used Lakland JO5 to get a John East preamp fitted, which I managed to do this year (a J-Tone) that I'm really pleased with.

Yeah, but he never said what plectrum he uses... 😁

Seriously though, an excellent video. He has that completely relaxed look at the fretting hand that to me shows a top player, rather than that slightly panicky sweaty look I have...

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, chris_b said:

Hi, any chance of getting the weight? I'd be very interested. Cheers

Sadly not right now as the ex took the house scales!

4 hours ago, kiat said:

The most entertaining video on bass I've seen - thanks for sharing it!  Was so curious about bass in stage shows. I had a great bass teacher for a year or two (Mike Nichols in Guildford) who like Ian King, played in West End orchestra pits and also, I see, Overwater basses. Also they've a John East preamp connection.

Mike advised me when thinking about buying a used Lakland JO5 to get a John East preamp fitted, which I managed to do this year (a J-Tone) that I'm really pleased with.

Mike is a very good teacher! It’s not often you get access to a teacher of his level and experience. One of my favourites I experienced at ACM for sure.

• Like 1

Thanks, that is an interesting video, very impressive player!

I'm curious as to how good the Boss tuners are - he seems to be saying that he can check his double bass intonation while playing to check he is spot on?  If so, that is really impressive!  I don't think he meant he was just checking his open strings are in tune.  If the Boss tuners are that accurate, and presumably able to track the notes quickly, they might be handy for people learning fretless, EUB or double bass to check and correct intonation?

Or, did I completely misunderstand how he is using this with his DB?

2 hours ago, richh said:

Thanks, that is an interesting video, very impressive player!

I'm curious as to how good the Boss tuners are - he seems to be saying that he can check his double bass intonation while playing to check he is spot on?  If so, that is really impressive!  I don't think he meant he was just checking his open strings are in tune.  If the Boss tuners are that accurate, and presumably able to track the notes quickly, they might be handy for people learning fretless, EUB or double bass to check and correct intonation?

Or, did I completely misunderstand how he is using this with his DB?

I think he’s using them to check intonation.

Very clever idea.