Why become a member? ×

OM nights

Geek99

After many months of fruitless attendance at OM nights I went to two last week and ended up with three invitations to co-play at next months 

so I have to learn 

Dakota 

folsom prison blues 

she sells sanctuary 

I still haven’t found what … but in f#
sharp dressed man

i know it’s not likely to have troubled Jaco to learn these (or indeed 99% of you folks) but I’m time and talent-challenged so have my work cut out. 

lady who runs both nights is bass-curious and very taken with my acoustic bass @Len_derby as she is quite petite and found a full size bass attractive but also daunting. I have started her on her way learning “the chain” on it  in the time honoured manner 👍

• Like 9

Folsom Prison Blues - it's country, root-5, following a typical 12-bar chord progression, I IV I V IV I. Not like the guitarist-with-a-bass at my regular OM plays it, a walking bass line (probably because it's got "blues" in the name).

Sanctuary - straightforward D-C-G. For the vocal bits, other than "and the world...", there's a passing B at the end of the C. The middle bit is just a D, preferably a low D.

Still haven't found is again a typical 12-bar chord progression. I IV I V IV I again. Just root notes, constant eighths.

Dakota - there's just three chord sequences, E C# A (in and verse), A E ('makes me feel like the one'), E B A ('I don't know where we are going now'). Root notes, constant eighths.

Edited by tauzero
Dystypia in Dakota
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tauzero said:

Folsom Prison Blues - it's country, root-5, following a typical 12-bar chord progression, I IV I V IV I

Worth checking that everyone involved is on the same page for this one - it follows a typical 12-bar chord progression, but it repeats every 11 bars if you play it like the original version. You only get one bar of the I chord at the end each time round.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Owen said:

THAT'S THE SPIRIT!!!!

Comments to conjure with are 

“I don’t know what key I sing it in” (Dakota) 

“they’re quite good guitarists, not sure I’ll measure up” (zz-top) 

“not sure how I’ll emulate the guitar part with an acoustic” (the cult)

I see the train a’coming… and it’s going to wreck 

• Haha 2

It is astonishing how few people will clock things not working right in our register. In cases where there is ambiguity about the direction things are going, the groove or rhythm is more important than the pitch. Don't get me wrong, playing the correct big letter of the chord is where it is at, but when everything is wobbling, the ability to drag people through rhythmically paramount. We can worry about harmony in the next chorus. 

• Like 1

Good luck! If it's any help I can confirm that Dakota is extremely easy to play, all quavers and root notes: verse is E, Db, A; slide up to A on the 12th fret of the A string at the start of the chorus, then back down to E when the singing drops out, and do that twice; then for the "I don't know..." bit it's just E, B, A.

• Thanks 1

I've been to a handful of open nights and on one occasion was unfortunately asked up to play bass on a couple of songs that I didn't actually know.

"Is Paul out there?  Where is he?  Oh, there he is.  Come on up!"

['Oh, sh*t, oh, sh*t, oh, sh*t.']

"Nope, you're OK."

Wife interjects, "Go on, it'll be fun."

Sigh.

Well, it wasn't fun.

The evening was full of these dead behind the eyes bedroom-warriors; blokes who'd taken up guitar because they had a bit of money pre-retirement.  All the gear.  Gibson and Fender.  Guys with an arthritic claw like grip on their necks, struggling to extend beyond three chords whilst reading off music stands.  One of the blokes had the fecking audacity to later stroll up to the bar and tell me I wasn't following the right bassline despite never having heard Wonderful Tonight or whatever wretched Clapton/Eagles thing it was that they were playing; this despite him being one of the most inept guitarists I've ever witnessed.

Sure, each to their own but, with all respect to the OP, I'd sooner cut my arm off than play the selection of songs listed there.

• Haha 6

Sadly I have to start somewhere, bass is not a solo instrument. Clearly I have fewer choices than you as I have to play to my talent level and my available practice time given kids, work, home chores and DIY 

4 hours ago, Owen said:

It is astonishing how few people will clock things not working right in our register. In cases where there is ambiguity about the direction things are going, the groove or rhythm is more important than the pitch. Don't get me wrong, playing the correct big letter of the chord is where it is at, but when everything is wobbling, the ability to drag people through rhythmically paramount. We can worry about harmony in the next chorus. 

When I was stepping up to reading for my jazz band the MD said pretty much that with far fewer words. If I paraphrase him further, "Never Stop".

• Like 2

Maybe I was just lucky that nearly everyone played the songs very much the same as the record as far as chord progressions went and I have a good ear.

Those songs were standards 20 years ago when I was jamming and I played along dropping the odd clanger. Trains wrecked only with the odd noncompetent given the mic.

If you are slated for backing folks ahead of time one would hope they have a handle on it. Better charge up your phone and have the songs on repeat all day.

When I was the house band bassist a few years ago for a popular OM, I got quite adept at reading guitarist's fingers, although when they use a capo it inflicts a whole new level of pain (the same applies when you're reading the chords over someone's shoulder and they're using a capo).

• Like 1

Yes, OM nights can be like this. I've not done one for a while now. But you go to a few, and nothing. Then you turn up one night and get asked along to next week, or to another OM night altogether. Re learning songs - if I'm asked to do something I'm not familiar with, I either ask for a chord chart, or usually look up the song on YouTube. Mostly there's a video of someone playing it, and even a play-along tab, if you're lucky.

I recall playing an OM years back. I was with the "house band" who opened with a few songs, then OM attendees got up to play, then we closed the night with another shortish set.

At the start of the 2nd half, a trio of drummer, singer / guitar and lead guitar asked me to join them. I had never heard of the song they wanted me to play - "It's OK, we've got the lyrics & chords - it's even colour coded" said the singer. I agreed, feeling rather cocky because it didn't look too challenging......

As the song kicked off, it suddenly dawned on me that the ambient light and light from outside had dimmed. The stage was lit by colour changing LEDs, and you guessed it - as the colours changed, parts of the text just disappeared! My own fault for being cocky, I think :) :) 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, tauzero said:

When I was the house band bassist a few years ago for a popular OM, I got quite adept at reading guitarist's fingers, although when they use a capo it inflicts a whole new level of pain (the same applies when you're reading the chords over someone's shoulder and they're using a capo).

I use a capo on bass to remind me not to play in a standard key 

If @Geek99 has an ipad or similar, and can download an app to it that allows words and chords, that may help.

One can quickly alter Folsom Prison Blues in G (but capo'd 3 to fit the singers voice, say) to the actual key of B flat.

Alternatively, if you have an Internet connection at the venue, you can use the Ultimate Guitar tab website to get the chords, and change keys on the fly. 

And, with a bit of luck, you and the rest of the band will both be playing the same version!

• Thanks 1