Why become a member? ×

Too old to rock’n’roll… Who decides?

Mickeyboro

I stopped playing for 4 years at the age of 27yrs old because I thought I was too old. It sounds crazy now but a lot of us did back then. 

I do think things change with age. I have enjoyed playing more since I started again and the last 20yrs of band life have been incredible. 

I am starting to feel I am too old to be going up and down the country for one off gigs with a band that I am not wild about. I didn't feel like that 5yrs back. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I'm 70 years old and all the other

members of the band are in they're late 30s.

I'm envious.

I've had to cancel a dozen gigs this year because various band leaders have had medical procedures! I need to start playing with 30 and 40 year olds!!

• Thanks 1

I stopped playing in my twenties, and then started again after a really long absence. I now enjoy playing more than I ever did in my early twenties. So I have no intention of quitting, as I'm enjoying it so much. I fully realise that ageing can have an adverse effect on the lugging of heavy gear, and late nights - so there will be a time when it becomes more difficult, and then probably too difficult.

I have been acquiring lighter weight amp gear, and some smaller, lighter, short-scale basses - so that I can hopefully head off some of the issues. I'm already feeling the benefits of playing shorter scale instruments, and finding big chunky necks less favourable. And I'm really liking the sound of my tiny, yet powerful AI cab.

At this stage, I know I'm still going to be enjoying playing for a while yet. But I think I will know when the late nights and the lifting no longer suit me, so I will make that decision then. Hopefully, that's a good few years away yet. If a band member told me they think I'm past it.... then I'll simply find another band. (I often play with a Folk Club, and I'm one of the youngest there - so I can always just continue with that).

Even if I have to, or want to give up gigging, I have a feeling I'll be playing more of some of the other instruments I wish I had more time to practice / learn etc. and just enjoy playing them at home.

Edited by Marc S
  • Like 1

I'll keep playing as long as:

• It's still fun
  • My health holds
  • All the important bits of me can operate well enough
  • I can hold a bass for between 30-60 minutes at a time (with or without an "appliance")
  • I can travel to and from gigs without needing an ambulance
  • I can manoeuvre my kit from point a to point b somehow
  • My bandmates are happy to have a (XX) year-old bassist in the band
  • I can still read the chord sheets on my iPad from a reasonable distance

I've been gigging since the mid 80's (I'm 61) and I still really enjoy it. If that were to have to stop for any of the reasons above, I'd hopefully still be able to play with my mates, informally. The biggest buzz for me isn't the appreciation of the crowd or the money (ha!) - it's the physical act of playing that I love. As long as I can do that, in whatever format, I'll be happy.

Edited by rushbo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

I'm envious.

I've had to cancel a dozen gigs this year because various band leaders have had medical procedures! I need to start playing with 30 and 40 year olds!!

In America they can’t afford the medical procedure so they just carry on until they drop.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

Sure, fitness and dexterity can take a dive with age, but if a singer has been taking care of their voice then they can carry on well into their twilight years. I saw Tom Jones in a 300 capacity club when he was 81 - his voice was incredible. 

I think there is more to it than just age. Playing with younger people (see @Bluewineabove) or playing genres that don't just cater for one age group can help. I'm still working on this to put together a new project - probably why it is taking so long, but determined that it won't be all 'blokes of a certain age'.

Hi Myke,

I'm a huge Tom Jones fan. I think he's an amazing artist to this day.

I consider myself fortunate to be playing with younger, responsible talented and smart musicians .

Daryl

FB_IMG_1722661068880.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

Another take on this is the audience. My late mum was born in 1929. Due to the war she didn't really get any teenage years, so her main musical influences ranged from Frank Sinatra through Rock & Roll, and on into the 60s. Her biggest bugbear in her 70s/80s was other people deciding what her age group wanted, in her words, Vera bl00dy Lynn and Glen Miller. 

Fantastic 

Myke, 

My late mom was born in 1927. She is how I got into rock & roll. I remember watching all the rock & roll dance TV shows with her in the late 50s. And we listened to all the Black R&B radio station together too.

She passed at 84. She never got old.

Daryl

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, fretmeister said:

In America they can’t afford the medical procedure so they just carry on until they drop.

Fretmeister,

A lot of older folks over here do have financial issues with Healthcare. 

Just so you guys know. I have excellent Dental & Healthcare insurance coverage.

Daryl

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Marc S said:

I stopped playing in my twenties, and then started again after a really long absence. I now enjoy playing more than I ever did in my early twenties. So I have no intention of quitting, as I'm enjoying it so much. I fully realise that ageing can have an adverse effect on the lugging of heavy gear, and late nights - so there will be a time when it becomes more difficult, and then probably too difficult.

Hi Marc,

I find giging at age 70 a lot more fun than I did as a young lad. Being retired obviously makes gigging easier, plus I'm a lot smarter now. Lol

Datyl

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chris_b said:

I'm envious.

I often wonder what my young bandmates say about my age when I'm not around. I can imagine comments like;

" He's so grateful " lol

Daryl

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, ahpook said:

I suppose there comes a point when someone can't actually play their instrument, remember songs, have the energy to gig, and so on, so that playing in a band becomes impossible...when I'm there I hope realise it myself before someone has to tell me.

I hope I make the decision when to pull the plug on gigging.

I would hate to be sat down by our band leader and hear something like this.

" Well mate, it's like this " lol

Daryl

In my 20's I spent 6 months playing the US airbases in Germany. We did 5 sets a night from Monday to Thursday, and 6 sets a night on Friday and Saturday. . . . and then we went out to party! The clubs in town did 6 and 7 sets.

These days I so appreciate everything I took for granted back then. 

• Like 1

As long as you keep yourself in both physical and mental shape then crack on IMO. The question is whether people WANT to see your wrinkly gurning bass face on stage. If they don't.... sod 'em.... you're the one cracking the bass end out! 😎

Edited by odysseus
cant spel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bluewine said:

Fantastic 

Myke, 

My late mom was born in 1927. She is how I got into rock & roll. I remember watching all the rock & roll dance TV shows with her in the late 50s. And we listened to all the Black R&B radio station together too.

She passed at 84. She never got old.

Daryl

I think they would have got on well Daryl!

• Thanks 1

Rock and roll is literally an old man's game. Those who were in their teens and 20s in the 50s and 60s, when rock and roll was in its pomp, are in their 70s and 80s now. A pal of mine plays a lot of care homes. The residents want classic soul, rock and roll and similar because that's what they listened to in the halogen days of their yoof.

• Like 2