Why become a member? ×

Too old to rock’n’roll… Who decides?

Mickeyboro

2 hours ago, Rayman said:

This is our 41st year as a band (admittedly with some breaks and other projects), but we’re going stronger than ever, writing some really great new material, and attracting a lot of younger people to come to see us live. My voice is fine, drummer can still do it, So we have no plans to retire yet, as we’re having a bit of an Indian Summer to be honest…. even though, I managed to fall sideways off the stage at the last gig last weekend.

IMG_8979.thumb.jpeg.6b0c8cef8daf38b4fb5aedeb491ac32a.jpeg

IMG_5493.thumb.jpeg.105eac57b0a09e25b14d82629aef0402.jpeg

You look in a lot of pain , in that first pihoto. ( Yes I know you're concentrating 😀)

Your band looks really slick and professional in the other photo 👍

• Thanks 1

Ive been ghosted a couple of times following conversations initiated by Joinmyband, seemed keen til i revealed my age.

I have an audition next week. They've heard me but not seen me yet. I suspect I might have a few years on them...let's see how it goes!

Being over 35 (I'm being kind) ages you out of most "we're gonna be the new Oasis!" youth bands who still think they can make money from original music. Don't go answering those ads with the "I look younger than my age/I'm still 25 at heart/I can be like a mentor until you find a younger player" routine unless you really like sympathy. Age still matters to the record industry and unless you have some past success you can spin into a Scene Legend type gig it's probably not happening. You should be more sensible by that age anyway... 

Once you're over that mental hurdle and are just happy with making the music you want to, preferably with some pay involved, then you can keep going until you physically can't stand the late nights any more. If you're prominent and competent in any niche genre for long enough you'll probably never struggle for gigs. Everybody else has been weeded out by the aforementioned late nights and you've hopefully got a reputation for not being a total van monster - reliability is key over talent and nobody wants to take a risk on a young hotshot who ends up throwing their TV out of the window when they're served the wrong temperature of latte. 

• Like 3