Why become a member? ×

Do drugs make you a better player?

I don’t think so, except some amazing records have been made when the artists have been completely out of it. “Family Affair” by Sly & The Family Stone would be one example.

Around the late 80’s / early 90’s I was in a six-piece band where four of the band were dealers. It was absolute chaos, all the time, every day or night there was a fresh disaster or an amazing lucky escape. When people talk about the Happy Mondays or Flowered Up, well it was like that except without the big record company budgets. We’re all still alive but in various states of disrepair. 

Drugs never ever made us personally better players, or writers. Similarly my bipolar medication now has a negative impact on how I play and sing, my voice is a pitchy rasp compared to when I was a kid, and was a soloist in a choir. And my hands shake now because of the lithium, which definitely affects my playing. But, you learn to get by. I don’t touch recreational drugs at all and don’t romanticise them or recommend them. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I wish I hadn't watched that video. Scotts bass lessons adverts everywhere I look now. I cannot escape the irritating gurning face and terrible jazz noodling 

Flush your cache...save your sanity....Dude ;)

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 1

Guess the title of this thread should be 'Do recreational drugs make you a better player' in which case the answer is mostly no, or at least not in the doses people tend to take them to constitute recreation (whilst very low doses might).

Performance enhancing drugs on the other hand.......... 

• Like 1

We did a gig at a fraternity house at Rutgers University New Brunswick NJ. We all ate mushrooms. People were dancing and screaming. We played all night. 

Everyone kept telling us how great we were. 

It's pretty weird playing on psychedelics. 

A bit of weed helps me get some great ideas. A recording app on my phone means I have a record of them. If I am at home I can get them down on Guitar Pro. Funny thing is, the morning after a session I can still be quite productive - lying in bed with an acoustic guitar and the recording app has led to some creative stuff.

Not really playing in a band or smoking da 'erb either these days though....

Can I just say thanks to the OP for posting that vid, I don't think I would have seen it otherwise.    I really like Kelsey's playing and enjoyed all 45 mins of it.  Sure, he looked a bit mellow, but he was engaging and gave some good insight into his basses and stuff.

I didn't think the interviewer had to try that hard?

I enjoyed it, anyway....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

As I said before are there actually any performance enhancing drugs that will make you a better player form a technical PoV?

There’s nothing gonna turn me into Jaco, but there’s plenty that’ll improve my ability to play what bits if Jaco I can already manage 

2 minutes ago, Huge Hands said:

Can I just say thanks to the OP for posting that vid, I don't think I would have seen it otherwise.    I really like Kelsey's playing and enjoyed all 45 mins of it.  Sure, he looked a bit mellow, but he was engaging and gave some good insight into his basses and stuff.

I didn't think the interviewer had to try that hard?

I enjoyed it, anyway....

Must admit I was expecting far worse given the title and build up. Did none of these people live through the 80’s for God sake 😆

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

As I said before are there actually any performance enhancing drugs that will make you a better player form a technical PoV?

Not sure if beta blockers are classed as performance enhancing drugs, but an awful lot of snooker players in the 80's and 90's seemed to have heart conditions and needed beta blockers. I have no idea what effect they would do on bass players, possibly make them even more laid back? Might get rid of nerves.

I know that when I worked in the newspaper business (IT not journalism), a number of people used Bolivian Marching Powder™ to get through the late shifts, the IT staff were strictly (and I mean strictly) banned from anything past caffeine, no alcohol, certainly no BMP. The financial journalists could not function with alcohol, that's not a joke, they would go to a press conference at 12:00, get utterly wasted afterwards, roll back to The Independent around 15:00, manage to find the lift and work out how to press the floor they were on (3rd floor) and lean against the lift burping 90% alcohol, they'd then write 600 words on a share issue with no mistakes. As the IT dept was 7th floor and production ground floor, I'd be constantly in the lift watching these titans of journalism burping away, but they never missed a story. 

Rob

2 minutes ago, rwillett said:

Not sure if beta blockers are classed as performance enhancing drugs, but an awful lot of snooker players in the 80's and 90's seemed to have heart conditions and needed beta blockers.

Ha, I was just thinking of Bill Werbeniuk when catching up on this thread !

• Haha 1

I once saw legendary stoner metal band Kyuss live. Obviously all the band were high but drummer Brant Bjork had clearly had a lot of hallucinogenic and was out of his tree. He was definitely seeing something strange. He didn't miss a beat though. Absolutely solid for the whole show. At the end, he just sat there while the band left the stage, a tech had to come back on and get him.

2 hours ago, Beedster said:

Must admit I was expecting far worse given the title and build up. Did none of these people live through the 80’s for God sake 😆

I did not! In this day and age though I think it’s unusual outside of snoop dogg and Joe rogan to see an interviewee that’s not sober given that anyone has access to the clip.

2 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I once saw legendary stoner metal band Kyuss live. Obviously all the band were high but drummer Brant Bjork had clearly had a lot of hallucinogenic and was out of his tree. He was definitely seeing something strange. He didn't miss a beat though. Absolutely solid for the whole show. At the end, he just sat there while the band left the stage, a tech had to come back on and get him.

Can a band be considered stoner if they aren't high?

To answer the original question - drugs might not make someone a better player, but having a good time might 😀

Do drugs make someone play better? Are we including the performance aspect? Which drugs, which person, which situation? It's got to be possible.

There have been some fantastic players who were high on copious amounts of illegal substances. Did the drugs inspire them, and unlock their creative processes, or were they just very talented and having fun at the time? We are unlikely to see such talented people in our orbit, down the Dog and Duck, but elsewhere? As I say, it's possible.

Do drugs make you a what..? Whatever, man; leave that sh** for serious talk over a spliff, not here where some of us are trying to concentrate. Now then; what was I saying..? Ah yes. The question of... What question..? No, man, it all comes down to the question of whether drugs make someone play better, presumably referring to playing a sport or game, a complex one that requires us to consider various factors. Performance enhancement in sports is a topic surrounded by ethical debates and regulations, and the term "better" is subjective and can refer to different aspects of performance.

Firstly, let's differentiate between types of drugs:

1. Performance-enhancing drugs (PEDs): These are substances that are specifically designed to improve athletic performance. They can include anabolic steroids, human growth hormone, erythropoietin (EPO), and various other stimulants. While some PEDs might provide a temporary or artificial boost in certain physical aspects like strength or endurance, they come with significant health risks and are typically banned in professional sports. The use of PEDs can lead to unfair advantages, which is why they are often vilified and regulated.

2. Recreational or cognitive-enhancing drugs: These might include substances like marijuana, alcohol, or certain prescription medications used off-label for performance enhancement. The effects of these drugs on performance can be varied and unpredictable. Some may claim to improve focus or reduce anxiety, but they can also impair coordination, judgment, and decision-making.

Now, let's consider the factors that might influence the relationship between drugs and performance:

- Physical effects: Some drugs may increase physical capabilities such as strength or endurance, but they often come with risks such as increased heart rate, blood pressure, and potential for injury due to overexertion.
- Psychological effects: Drugs can alter a person's mental state, which might affect their performance in a game or sport. For instance, they might reduce anxiety or pain perception, leading to increased risk-taking or playing through an injury.
- Legal and ethical considerations: The use of banned substances can result in disqualification, suspension, or even a lifetime ban from competitive sports, which can significantly harm an athlete's career.
- Long-term health: The long-term use of certain drugs can lead to severe health issues, including organ damage, addiction, and mental health problems.
- Consistency and skill development: Athletes and players generally achieve peak performance through consistent training, good nutrition, and rest. Reliance on drugs might overshadow the importance of these fundamental elements.

In conclusion, while certain substances might offer temporary or specific performance benefits, they often come with substantial risks to health and career. Moreover, the concept of playing "better" extends beyond just the physical aspect; it includes fair play, adherence to rules, and the holistic development of skills and strategy. Therefore, it's not as straightforward as saying drugs universally make someone play better. In most cases, especially in professional settings, the use of drugs is discouraged and often illegal, as it undermines the integrity of the sport and can lead to negative health outcomes. The safest and most sustainable way to improve performance is through dedicated training, proper nutrition, and rest.

... or something. B|

• Like 2