Why become a member? ×

Do drugs make you a better player?

I think there is a overly romanticised view of drugs when it comes to rock 'n' roll. Over the years I have worked with a handful of drug users and they are generally a pain in the **** - not as creative as they think they are and pretty unreliable. In the 90s, we had a guitarist who was permanently smoking weed ("only weed") and he'd have to give me his money to cover rehearsals at the start of the month or he'd spend it on weed. We'd then get to middle to later in the month and he'd be calling me up asking for a loan. Every month it was the same, we'd debate it for an hour with me reminding him of what happens every time, only for history to repeat - he'd then get angry with me when I asked for it back "it was just a fiver, not a tenner", only to eventually remember that I wasn't a liar and it was as I had written it down. Unsurprisingly, I don't miss that! 

These days I work with a few musicians who have issues around alcohol and I have to say it is the same. Some really talented players junking 1/2 a day of recording because they listen to the play back. I find it staggering when good musicians practice all the time and then when they go out, they blow it for themselves. 

I hasten to add most musicians I work with these days are focussed and creative. Have a pint, smoke a spliff (if you have to) but just keep your act together! 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, meterman said:

don’t think so, except some amazing records have been made when the artists have been completely out of it. “Family Affair” by Sly & The Family Stone would be one example.

I think Family Affair was recorded during the pinnacle of Sly’s drug use and paranoia. Excessive overdubbing and constant reworking had pretty much worn the master’s out so the entire sound is down to excessive drug use. 

I smoked a fair bit of puff back in the day, although I never partook before playing -- it was a nice way to wind down after a lengthy Saturday afternoon rehearsal though. 

Quick story with a bit of current relevance: back in the day we used to rehearse at Angie's in Wokingham, we'd spend all of Saturday afternoon there and then pack up & leave in time for the evening's band to load in. One afternoon we'd finished playing and were just having a chat when a chap walked in through the door -- he was in shadow so I couldn't see him. He apologised for interrupting, saying he was with the evening band but realised he was a bit early and could come back later if we wanted. We said it was fine and that we were done. "Great, thanks" he said, "oh, my name's Herbie by the way..." as he walked out of the shadows, and my mind went oh my god that's HERBIE F***ING FLOWERS and I nearly fell over myself to go and shake his hand. He was a lovely guy and chatted with us for a bit, and then there was a lull in the conversation. He sighed and said, "well I don't know about you, but I'm going to skin up..." :lol: He rolled two tiny spliffs of this ridiculous grass, smoked one himself and sent the other round the band, my god it was wonderful stuff. Herbie by name... 

Edited by Rich
  • Like 5

I`ve never really been a drug user - did a bit of speed when younger but drink was always my bag. I always found dope-smokers to be the worst ones to get motivated, to the point where at one band practice our guitarist turned up without his guitar. It was like working with Dylan from The Magic Roundabout.

I should add however that whilst it might have been a tiresome process in getting him/them going, they never caused any aggro, I`d far prefer it that way round than dealing with a coke-head wanting to wallop everyone.

5 hours ago, tegs07 said:

I think Family Affair was recorded during the pinnacle of Sly’s drug use and paranoia. Excessive overdubbing and constant reworking had pretty much worn the master’s out so the entire sound is down to excessive drug use. 

The production of "There's A Riot Goin' On" have been fairly well documented. Shocking to read about, but still "Family Affair" is a brilliant record, despite the production (like Sly) being all over the place.

There's also "Revolver" by The Beatles. Marijuana and LSD get indirectly name checked ("Doctor Robert", "Got To Get You Into My Life, "Tomorrow Never Knows", etc). I'm not the biggest Beatles fan but that is an amazing album. 

Don't do drugs though, kids, or I'll leather yer 😂

On 10/09/2024 at 08:28, SteveXFR said:

I'm impressed that Scott Devine found another presenter just as irritating as he is.

I think that's unfair. Scott has become a real pillock over the years (Dude) but I find Ian quite endearing and his enthusiasm is infectious. He also gives some pretty solid advice and teaching.

On 10/09/2024 at 18:42, rwillett said:

Not sure if beta blockers are classed as performance enhancing drugs, but an awful lot of snooker players in the 80's and 90's seemed to have heart conditions and needed beta blockers. I have no idea what effect they would do on bass players, possibly make them even more laid back? Might get rid of nerves.

Since my heart attack last year I've had to take beta blockers, and they've had a very noticeable effect on my playing: They directly affected my internal sense of time to the point that I thought that the rest of the band were playing everything twice as fast as normal. When I reduced my dose, it felt like the band had slowed back down again to a more normal tempo, though obviously they'd been playing at the same speed all along.

From a performance point of view, I certainly don't get any nerves before a gig, but then I don't get any excitement or enjoyment either, just a feeling of cold detachment. I suppose that technically they have improved my playing as I make fewer mistakes, but they've sucked all the fun out of it too. I'm currently in negotiations with my cardiologist to see if I can reduce my dose further without my heart blowing up.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Grooverjr said:

I think that's unfair. Scott has become a real pillock over the years (Dude) but I find Ian quite endearing and his enthusiasm is infectious. He also gives some pretty solid advice and teaching.

Got to meet Ian a few months back. He was doing a clinic thingy, mostly concentrating on getting interesting sounds out of his Helix. Genuinely nice guy, proper bass nerd too. 

I met Scott back in the dim and distant past, well before he was doing SBL, and he was nice enough. Not seen him since though, so I’ve no idea what he’s like now. 

IMG_2126.jpeg

• Like 3

Old hippy bass player , but saw drugs and drink cripple too many friends. Today I might have a beer or two in the run of a week. Most without any.  It’s been many years since I had a buzz on , probably around a dozen or more. Never counted. Not a pot smoker , do not take any other drugs. Never planned to be so moderate. Just happened. Still have friends that are chronic pot smokers , some that do like their drink. Some wear that better than others , I’m fine without. If it becomes a problem I’ll drop the gig.

I do drink a pot of coffee in the morning.

5 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I guess without the Statins, and Beta Blockers some of us might be in trouble. . . .

Yes, playing whilst dead could be a challenge.  No idea of the effect of the Beta blocker on my bass playing but it certainly affects my cycling.  Takes me about 5 miles to get warmed up, hill climbs are done 'running on empty' even at the start of a ride.

54 minutes ago, 3below said:

Yes, playing whilst dead could be a challenge.  No idea of the effect of the Beta blocker on my bass playing but it certainly affects my cycling.  Takes me about 5 miles to get warmed up, hill climbs are done 'running on empty' even at the start of a ride.

Yes, I've noticed this too about the BBs. My wife always shoots off like a rocket at the start of a ride. I've learnt to let her go and catch her up when my pulse is finally up to speed.

• Like 1

I'd agree with the 'they certainly make you think you're better' sentiments above, plus for those super-talented musicians inextricably linked with drugs (most of whom we have no definite Clean performances for to compare with the opposite), I'd suggest they were fantastic despite the drugs. The shrinking number of stoners I know (they're all artists of one sort or another ) have always come up with convoluted excuses to get out of it while pursuing their art (including a common contradiction in terms of 'it vagues me out, I can concentrate more'), but if you've convinced yourself you need to be altered while performing, then that will subconsciously restrict your performance when you know you're not. I can, however, completely see how Weasel Dust is the entertainer/performers drug of choice for stage times, providing the King Of The World sensation that allows uninhibited performance. It's when the audience are the ones gurning and grinding and thinking (in spite of all the rational evidence otherwise) that they're All That that it becomes tedious.*

* Wow, I got into a bit of a 'that' loop there...my apologies. I must stop snorting Shake'n Vac**...

**  Terrible high, but leaves you with lovely fresh sinuses...

• Haha 2