Why become a member? ×

Do drugs make you a better player?

On 10/09/2024 at 10:50, TimR said:

Surely it depends how much you've taken and whether you're a slave to that particular drug.

1 pint of beer can calm the performance nerves, make you less inhibited so you move around the stage a bit more.

3 pints will certainly make me move around the stage a bit more, but not in a good way.

Confession time from me : years ago in a blues band I was playing in , I had the misfortune of finishing my job early . ( 2pm) 

Instead of going home to south London from soho and then back in the evening to a Great Portland Street , I had a few jars with a friend until the evening . This was a mistake . I was my usual lively self on stage . 

Unfortunately , I stood on one of the guitarists foot pedals causing unnecessary distortion at the wrong moment . 
Talking to a few of the crowd ( well about 40 or so, mainly friends ) while playing was frowned upon. If Di Enid from girlschool and Steve Harris can do it then why not me I thought . 

It was our 2nd gig .  At our next rehearsal , my behaviour was discussed . 😬 They basically wanted me to be a stiff cardboard cutout , which I couldn't be . Then a few new songs were suggested : Down man blues/ Blues in my head/ lightning blues. I asked about some red , and realised I'd better quit . No hard feelings though , although the frontman we had ( who I knew ) looked like Rolf Harris and was just las arrogant . Plus he became a thieving alkie .  So, lesson learnt ..

• Haha 1

The important thing to remember is to make sure that everyone in the band is taking the same "refreshment". I vaguely remember a totally disastrous gig back in the 90s where speed, weed, mushrooms and alcohol had been imbibed by different players. It was a complete train wreck!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Never more than a pint when I'm gigging. Any more and the notes don't leave my head but they definitely don't come out in the right time or order.  The only exception was at a party,  4 in the morning, totally pie eyed, playing the guitar accompanying someone singing John Martyn. I knew and everyone in the room knew I was brilliant. Sober the next day everyone was saying "play some more Jo" but I never played like that again, sober or drunk.

'The world exists as you perceive it.
It is not what you see, it is how you see it.
It is not what you hear, but how you hear it.
It is not what you feel, but how you feel it.' 

Rumi

..... The perceptions of audiences might well be different to drug induced perceptions of the bass player that perceives themselves as a playing genius though! 

On 13/09/2024 at 23:38, PaulThePlug said:

#MyKindOfFriday...

Throw acid, ecstasy and smack into the mix and it sounds exactly like my old band 😂

https://www.discogs.com/release/2771606-The-Prescriptions-Psychedelicatessen

We’re all almost tee-total boring middle aged gits these days although some of us do have a penchant for hot milky drinks. And we eat biscuits. Not sure if those are classed as performance enhancing, though? 

• Like 1