Why become a member? ×

NBD (but it's going back) - Cort GB Modern 5 - ** Now with bonus added GuitarGuitar buffoonery **

lemmywinks

3 hours ago, BassAdder60 said:

My chosen place now will be Peach Guitars where I visit, see, try it and purchase  

Dangerous place to visit! I went there 10 years ago looking to PX my Martin D28P for the (then) recently released Martin 00018 with the performance neck, which was about £1,700. I walked out with a Taylor 712 Fall Limited Edition 12 Fret, which was way north of £2K even then. Reality hit me on the drive home when I started to think about credit card interest! I have hardly played the Taylor for fear of marking it and would never dream of playing it live. I don’t think I would have had the same qualms with a 00018. Good salesmen are dangerous for your wallet!

17 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

Why not go to a shop and inspect the bass you're going to buy?

Because the only two stores that had the 5 string version of this bass at the clearance price were Edinburgh and Newcastle, neither of which are close to my house.

So let's say I made the 8hr round trip to Edinburgh and found out the bass had dodgy binding, then the next day make the 6hr round trip to Newcastle and find the second bass isn't actually new and is in well used condition. I've spent two days and a decent chunk of diesel money yet have nothing to show for it and the store has no obligation to make sure I get the bass in the condition it was advertised, whereas at the moment I've enjoyed my free time and the customer service at guitar guitar are making the effort to reach a suitable outcome. Which is hopefully me having a nice shiny new bass with Nordstrands in it.

My way makes more sense IMO.

• Like 5

On 10/09/2024 at 16:54, lemmywinks said:

You would think with basses that are around a grand (well outside of the sale anyway) they'd at least open the box and give them a cursory glance,

Probably nowhere near a grand to the factory that made it and far far less to the people who did the work.  But the shop should have checked.

One reason an ACG or Shuker would be 3-4x the price, despite no middle men.