Why become a member? ×

NBD (but it's going back) - Cort GB Modern 5 - ** Now with bonus added GuitarGuitar buffoonery **

lemmywinks

2 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

I'm probably just going to contact Cort about it tbh.

I've had a ton of Cort branded (and Cort built) basses over the years going back to the Korean factory and always had confidence in them due to consistent quality, my current main gigging bass and my fretless are both made by them. This is just poor though and has made me wary of the brand. Seeing as Spacecowboy has also sent his A5 back I think their sale is just customer returns, at least at this stage when stocks are low.

I still want one as they sound brilliant, at some point I'll score a good one and stick a Uni Pre in it!

Problem is, Guitar Guitar are not doing their job, and for me they're the worse of the two parties here.  Cort pump out instruments in silly numbers and there's bound to be issues with a fewnat the price point, and it looks like you may have been experiencing the bottom of the barrel. If they are customer returns, that only really makes it worse for the shop, as SURELY they should be checking returned basses over very carefully, even if the returners didn't give any reason for the return.

I'm not sure Cort will even listen to a complaint from you as you have returned them all? 🤷‍♂️

Hope you manage to grab one either way 👍🏻

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Kev said:

Problem is, Guitar Guitar are not doing their job, and for me they're the worse of the two parties here.  Cort pump out instruments in silly numbers and there's bound to be issues with a fewnat the price point, and it looks like you may have been experiencing the bottom of the barrel. If they are customer returns, that only really makes it worse for the shop, as SURELY they should be checking returned basses over very carefully, even if the returners didn't give any reason for the return.

I'm not sure Cort will even listen to a complaint from you as you have returned them all? 🤷‍♂️

Hope you manage to grab one either way 👍🏻

I think Cort might be a bit concerned tbh as it's their own brand, something they've always struggled with in terms of getting that upper mid tier recognition. I've always recommended them to others thinking they'll get a great bass for the money but now I'm sat here 0/3, 100% failure rate and that's due to a shop selling dodgy goods as new, so now I can't tell people that a Cort is a good bass anymore.

A shame really as these are beautiful basses which sound killer.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Bugger me, you really can't catch a break Lemmy. I picked up the first one, with the binding issues earlier today. Played it at the store through one of the Darkglass combos and it sounded absolutely massive, absolutely zero complaints in terms of sound for me. I only got them to transfer that one to the store, not the second one so no chance to check and see if I could hear the pickup rattle, though I've no doubt it'd have irritated me as well as you. 

Would it be worth the time to try and get them to pay for a proper tech to give it a go over? 

Apart from the binding issues, the only thing I didn't like in-person was the clear pickguard, it almost seemed to have a purple tint to it? Might have just been to my eyes, but it was always coming off anyway, so it didn't bother me. Even found some panhead screws to fill the holes with instead of the countersunk screws from the pickguard. Lovely satisfying moment peeling the plastic off of the cavity cover too. Just need to give the action a little tweak to suit my very aggressive playing, and I've got my new main. Even got a little spendy and got a lovely Pinegrove Leather strap for it too. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PinkMohawk said:

Bugger me, you really can't catch a break Lemmy. I picked up the first one, with the binding issues earlier today. Played it at the store through one of the Darkglass combos and it sounded absolutely massive, absolutely zero complaints in terms of sound for me. I only got them to transfer that one to the store, not the second one so no chance to check and see if I could hear the pickup rattle, though I've no doubt it'd have irritated me as well as you. 

Would it be worth the time to try and get them to pay for a proper tech to give it a go over? 

Apart from the binding issues, the only thing I didn't like in-person was the clear pickguard, it almost seemed to have a purple tint to it? Might have just been to my eyes, but it was always coming off anyway, so it didn't bother me. Even found some panhead screws to fill the holes with instead of the countersunk screws from the pickguard. Lovely satisfying moment peeling the plastic off of the cavity cover too. Just need to give the action a little tweak to suit my very aggressive playing, and I've got my new main. Even got a little spendy and got a lovely Pinegrove Leather strap for it too. 

Yeah that first one (and the third one when it worked) was exactly what I expected these to sound like, they're incredible instruments. I didn't notice any tint on the pickguard, just looked clear to me. I'd be careful with taking the pickguard off

though as those tops are quite soft and are prone to dings.

The MB preamp (while decent enough and better than the old Bart Mk) is the weak link IMO and isn't quite up the standard of the rest of the bass, switch it into passive mode and it sounds just as good with the same output, Big Singles are just immense. Quite liked the bass control on the preamp (think it's around 80hz from memory) but wasn't keen on the mid and treble, on my Uni Pre I like to boost quite a wide range of treble then tame the excessive highs with the passive tone control but on this one it's like an ice pick to the ears whatever I did so I just cut a fair bit. I also like to boost a tiny bit of lower mids which the MB doesn't do so just left that centred.

I just asked for a refund tbh as that seems to be their policy, tbh I would have probably taken a discount and used the bass in passive mode if offered but in the end I thought it best to just get a full refund and wait for a used one. I don't need another bass and just bought it because I wanted one!

I did get an email from them assuring me these are all new basses but I'm not so sure really, that second one had definitely been around the block.

6 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

Yeah that first one (and the third one when it worked) was exactly what I expected these to sound like, they're incredible instruments. I didn't notice any tint on the pickguard, just looked clear to me. I'd be careful with taking the pickguard off

though as those tops are quite soft and are prone to dings.

The MB preamp (while decent enough and better than the old Bart Mk) is the weak link IMO and isn't quite up the standard of the rest of the bass, switch it into passive mode and it sounds just as good with the same output, Big Singles are just immense. Quite liked the bass control on the preamp (think it's around 80hz from memory) but wasn't keen on the mid and treble, on my Uni Pre I like to boost quite a wide range of treble then tame the excessive highs with the passive tone control but on this one it's like an ice pick to the ears whatever I did so I just cut a fair bit. I also like to boost a tiny bit of lower mids which the MB doesn't do so just left that centred.

I just asked for a refund tbh as that seems to be their policy, tbh I would have probably taken a discount and used the bass in passive mode if offered but in the end I thought it best to just get a full refund and wait for a used one. I don't need another bass and just bought it because I wanted one!

I did get an email from them assuring me these are all new basses but I'm not so sure really, that second one had definitely been around the block.

Haha yeah, I'll be babying it, right up until that first ding, then all bets are off. Though the only playing I'm doing these days is much tamer than my old band, so I'll not be throwing it around like my Epi Grabber.

It's my first active in a while, so I'm going to reserve judgment on the pre until I get it plugged into my proper rig, but I'll definitely agree that passive/active sounds basically the same when the B/M/T are all set to noon, surprised me how little difference there was, I had to twiddle the knobs to make sure the push/pull wasn't a dud haha. I did like it with the pre flat and a little bass boost, but that was playing fingers with just the amp in the noisy room, I'll want to see what it's like in a band environment before I can be sure if I want to change anything or not. 

I'm going to swap the knobs out though, just to personalise it a little. Would love if someone was looking to trade the chrome bridge and tuners for black versions too, but I'll keep myself under control for now haha. 

For sure, those pictures you posted of it absolutely weren't of a new bass, except perhaps in the sense that they'd never sold it, it'd just been hanging on the wall getting played by anyone and everyone. 

• Like 1

Agreed. I mean, I get it, when I was working retail, we were selling shoes, and the ones that were on display would still technically be 'new' when we sold them, even if they'd been worn to try on in the shop, but also people weren't wearing the shoes for an hour walking around the shop, and we were constantly sweeping and mopping the floor to keep it clean. And, any shoes that came back as returns got boxed up separately and sent back to the warehouse where it'd be sold as 2nd hand for a steep discount. 

Speaking of GuitarGuitar, I ordered an MXR comp from them and the item I received clearly has marks on it, especially on the knobs. Looks like a return sold as new. I then realised that it was £20 cheaper on Bax so I ordered it there and plan on return the other one to GG. 

2 minutes ago, Ian McFly said:

Speaking of GuitarGuitar, I ordered an MXR comp from them and the item I received clearly has marks on it, especially on the knobs. Looks like a return sold as new. I then realised that it was £20 cheaper on Bax so I ordered it there and plan on return the other one to GG. 

Yep, there's definitely some unscrupulous practices going on.

Unfortunately everywhere else the GB Modern 5 is over a grand.

• Like 1

Well the third bass is now up for sale, no mention of the preamp fault (just a random "there's a ding on the neck" line, there isn't btw) so maybe they've fixed this:

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/230420404129008-14542343--cort-gb-modern-5-open-pore-charcoal-grey-ex-demo-ie221

No sign of my refund yet so I've messaged them, weird how they can get the bass back up for sale. I still wouldn't buy this bass btw, I'll wait until I get my full refund to tell you why.

• Sad 2

Posted (edited)

Right so apparently my refund is processing now so the other issue with that 3rd bass was the truss rod being completely maxed out and the bass having a little too much relief for my liking, more than the first bass which PinkMowhawk now has (the best of the three IMO). You can back off tension but it's at its limit so basically a goosed neck for all intents and purposes, playable (and giggable) as it is but if you need to make an adjustment in the future you're out of luck. All attempts at adjusting it were made with the strings slackened way off and no tension on the neck so it's definitely not a happy bass and one to avoid.

I didn't reveal this earlier as I am always a little wary of shops knowing you've made (or in this case tried to make) a truss rod adjustment even though it's just a normal part of a setup, it's also why I asked for a straight refund instead of a repair/discount. I was planning on putting an Uni Pre in one of these anyway but not one I where I can't get the neck as flat as I'd like that might be a ticking timebomb in the future.

Wish I'd just grabbed one of these when they first went on sale really as it looks like I've ended up with the dregs, all three of 'em!

Edited by lemmywinks
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

Right so apparently my refund is processing now so the other issue with that 3rd bass was the truss rod being completely maxed out and the bass having a little too much relief for my liking, more than the first bass which PinkMowhawk now has (the best of the three IMO). You can back off tension but it's at its limit so basically a goosed neck for all intents and purposes, playable (and giggable) as it is but if you need to make an adjustment in the future you're out of luck. All attempts at adjusting it were made with the strings slackened way off and no tension on the neck so it's definitely not a happy bass and one to avoid.

I didn't reveal this earlier as I am always a little wary of shops knowing you've made a truss rod adjustment even though it's just a normal part of a setup, it's also why I asked for a straight refund instead of a repair/discount. I was planning on putting an Uni Pre in one of these anyway but not one I where I can't get the neck as flat as I'd like that might be a ticking timebomb in the future.

Wish I'd just grabbed one of these when they first went on sale really as it looks like I've ended up with the dregs, all three of 'em!

Yeah, I definitely got the best of the bunch it sounds like, with (relatively) minor binding issues rather than the bass either killing batteries, having been tested out by half of the country, or the neck being un-adjustable. This has been a pretty rough go for you eh Lem? Could be worth a look at their other new Jazz style basses, the GB Fusions? Or, whatever other brand you've got in mind if this has put you off of Cort for the foreseeable.

6 minutes ago, PinkMohawk said:

Yeah, I definitely got the best of the bunch it sounds like, with (relatively) minor binding issues rather than the bass either killing batteries, having been tested out by half of the country, or the neck being un-adjustable. This has been a pretty rough go for you eh Lem? Could be worth a look at their other new Jazz style basses, the GB Fusions? Or, whatever other brand you've got in mind if this has put you off of Cort for the foreseeable.

I want the fancy top, specced out hardware and the Nordstrands really so will just wait for a used GB Modern. Was tempted to wait it out until the end of January and get a new one instead of a refund but I'd most likely just end up with another lemon!

Was going to put an ad in the wanted section but you need to pay for that now.

5 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

I want the fancy top, specced out hardware and the Nordstrands really so will just wait for a used GB Modern. Was tempted to wait it out until the end of January and get a new one instead of a refund but I'd most likely just end up with another lemon!

Was going to put an ad in the wanted section but you need to pay for that now.

That's fair, I know there was one a little while ago that was going for £500 in the classifieds, you might get lucky and the current owner moves it on. Either way, good luck with it! 

• Thanks 1

Is this all pointing to Cort making some nice looking basses but doing it in a factory where no-one on the shop floor really cares about the end product and the bosses just want fast work?  Whereas ... go to a proper bass maker who you can actually talk to ( Shuker, Skelf etc) you'll get something practically perfect.

There's probably a good reason Corts are "great value".

"The 13-year labor struggle at Cort Guitars began with an abrupt layoff in 2007. Claiming financial troubles, the company fired its employees en masse and shut down its factory in Daejeon. The guitars that had been made there were transferred to a facility in Indonesia."

Having said which, a mate has a cort single cut 5er which is rather nice..he used to run a guitar shop tho so probably got to pick one out and it might be Korean not Indonesian or Chinese.

NB: I used to live in Seoul where there was a guitar market rammed with cort instruments ... they did an excellent ovation acoustic bass copy, but that was 1994.

2 hours ago, NickA said:

Is this all pointing to Cort making some nice looking basses but doing it in a factory where no-one on the shop floor really cares about the end product and the bosses just want fast work?  Whereas ... go to a proper bass maker who you can actually talk to ( Shuker, Skelf etc) you'll get something practically perfect.

I currently have a Cort Space, and previously have had a GB4 Custom (lovely, fabulous neck, but it was for a Marillion tribute which I got chucked out of) and a GB5 Custom (neck was rather thicker than I like, still a nice bass but I moved it on in exchange for a Sei Jazz and a negative amount of money). The Space was a bit odd as it has split magnet pickups (Bart MK1s) and one magnet appeared to have been put in the wrong way round, so each pickup solo was fine (what I did when I gave it a quick once-over) but two strings were out of phase when both pickups were used. Replaced the pickups and all is well.

3 hours ago, NickA said:

"The 13-year labor struggle at Cort Guitars began with an abrupt layoff in 2007. Claiming financial troubles, the company fired its employees en masse and shut down its factory in Daejeon. The guitars that had been made there were transferred to a facility in Indonesia."

Having said which, a mate has a cort single cut 5er which is rather nice..he used to run a guitar shop tho so probably got to pick one out and it might be Korean not Indonesian or Chinese.

NB: I used to live in Seoul where there was a guitar market rammed with cort instruments ... they did an excellent ovation acoustic bass copy, but that was 1994.

Cort haven't built basses in Korea for years now, the singlecut will be Indonesian.

TBh I've had a ton of Cort built basses and they've never been anything other than excellent, even the ones with the licensed Bart MkI electronics were very well put together and just needed a decent preamp.

Plenty of people bought the guitar guitar clearance basses early on (they've been on sale for a while now) and had no issues, I think the basses I've had are the dregs of their stock and are mainly customer returns. So basically you're getting the basses which other people haven't found to be acceptable. Couple that with a shop that don't really care about what they send out and you'll get some duds.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, NickA said:

I have purchased 3 new Corts, 2 BG and a AG in the last year, 23 and 24MY and they're superb. For the prices paid, they are some of the best value instruments I've ever owned, out of about 300, from budget to boutique (Alembic, Status etc).

12 hours ago, NickA said:

Because they make more instruments than any other company in the world and they have phenomenal buying power (materials, parts), and experience.

I can dig around and find many threads on the net where instruments from small manufacturers are also less than perfect.

14 hours ago, NickA said:

Guitar Guitar are knocking these out at £200 less than Thomman. Why? Because they’re all likely to be customer returns, warranty repairs or something else.

I’m not criticising the OP as these are all advertised as brand new, no issue basses but they’re clearly not.

This is duplicity on the case of the seller and should be called out. But when something appears too good to be true there’s usually a catch…

• Like 4

Just now, Burns-bass said:

Guitar Guitar are knocking these out at £200 less than Thomman. Why? Because they’re all likely to be customer returns, warranty repairs or something else.

I’m not criticising the OP as these are all advertised as brand new, no issue basses but they’re clearly not.

This is duplicity on the case of the seller and should be called out. But when something appears too good to be true there’s usually a catch…

And Cort basses are, by and large, good. I’m the end, all manufacturers will have problems. These basses clearly should have gone back to the manufacturer but through some chicanery were probably left with the retailer at a massive discount.

I have no vested interest in Cort but I’d like at the retailer here.

• Like 2

Guitar-Guitar did this with the end of line Vox passive Starstream basses about a year, or so ago. Going by the posts on BC, most of them were obviously B-stock/returns. Most BCers who bought them sent them back. They were selling for a massive discount (annoying for me as I was trying to sell an A1 version at the time) and there was no mention of them being B-stock.

Like @Burns-bass said, if it’s too good to be true, it probably is. Guitar-Guitar seem to be serial offenders in this respect.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, crazycloud said:
On 04/10/2024 at 18:21, NickA said:

Because they make more instruments than any other company in the world and they have phenomenal buying power (materials, parts), and experience.

Company I worked for called it "leveraging low wage economies" ... otherwise known as screwing the workforce and undermining your home economy.  😉