Why become a member? ×

String recognising Q

Owen

I taught someone who bought an NS5 loaded with them. This was many years ago and it is entirely possible that the bass eq was whacked up on them, but they felt really nice and sounded silky. 

• Like 1

On 11/09/2024 at 18:31, Owen said:

B is an extra £150 odd. 

I've bought gigbags for less than £150.

I've bought pedals for less than £150.

I've bought amplifiers for less than £150.

Hell, I've bought basses (and gigged them, for money, in front of an audience) for £150.

Robin Williams was wrong y'know ... it's double basses that are God's way of telling you that you have too much money. 🙄

Seems they are a softer ( less bright, lower tension) version of the famous Eva pirazzis.  Hybrids with a bit of an Arco bias I guess.  Got to be pretty good then.

The range of prices you can pay for stuff never ceases to amaze. But double bass string prices are just crazy now.  Set of Eva's is £370 list (tho £270 in reality). Even beginners strings ( dAddario prelude) are £120 a set.

Needed a new c and g for a cello ...£85 each. Ooph.

I just took off a set of Gamut guts and replaced with Spiros with a view to using a Krivo live. Two rehearsals in and the guts are going back on. Cost twice as much as the Spiros but bloody hell they make the bass sound like a £10k instrument whereas with Spiros it sounds like the £2k instrument it is. In short, expensive but worth every penny 👍

22 hours ago, NickA said:

Excellent bowing strings.  How well do they pluck?

I had them on my Czech ply bass that I use for bluegrass and they felt good to play and sounded OK but not very loud, they are recommended on many sites as a good string for bluegrass. I switched to Spiro medium, a very different type of string but also used for bluegrass, and got a real boost in volume and better sound and have stayed with them. They work well in acoustic situations and better than the Obligatos with a pickup, might not be the same for all basses of course.

Edited by Staggering on

19 hours ago, NickA said:

Excellent bowing strings.  How well do they pluck?

I've heard some very good pizz tone from people using them. They can get a little more singing and sustainy than I would have expected from a synthetic core string. Some players with a firm right hand technique complain that they "roll" a little.

Edited by Beer of the Bass