Why become a member? ×

What am I actually trying to achieve and with what?

NancyJohnson

23 minutes ago, prowla said:

I've been wondering about an ICE amp; I was at a car show and some of them were kicking out ridiculous bass - I was thinking my bass pedals could do with something like that.

Many commercial pedals won't be able to fully drive the modules, or will only be able to do so at settings you may or may not actually like. My DIY amps all have an Aux In formatted to work with more pedals, or even with an active bass plugged straight in, but IME it almost never sounds as good as just going in to the front end of the built in preamp. And in any case, a great many commercial amps already give you ways to bypass the front end, so they already are "ICE amps" but with the useful insurance factor of working on their own if your pedals fail. 

10 minutes ago, Passinwind said:

Many commercial pedals won't be able to fully drive the modules, or will only be able to do so at settings you may or may not actually like. My DIY amps all have an Aux In formatted to work with more pedals, or even with an active bass plugged straight in, but IME it almost never sounds as good as just going in to the front end of the built in preamp. And in any case, a great many commercial amps already give you ways to bypass the front end, so they already are "ICE amps" but with the useful insurance factor of working on their own if your pedals fail. 

I was meaning these... 🙂

synth-Toro12-stepPedaltrain-240303.thumb.jpg.f7dfa956cadb892d8ffa98f2c4b8815d.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, prowla said:

I was meaning these... 🙂

synth-Toro12-stepPedaltrain-240303.thumb.jpg.f7dfa956cadb892d8ffa98f2c4b8815d.jpg

Ah, not at all what I was expecting. I would most definitely want a full featured preamp for that scenario, going straight to a basic power amp with limited protection scheme could be very problematic.

19 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Is building a custom amp actually a thing?  Ooh.  My head is racing a bit now.

I have heard it said that the amp modules are all pretty similar (or only supplied by a couple of different manufacturers.  

Many manufacturers use ICEPower,  I have seen Powersoft and Pascal modules too, although some do design their own power sections. I used an ICEPower 50ASX2 when I modded my Ashdown After 8 combo, changing it from a 15 watt to a 100 watt units powering the internal 8 ohm speaker.

• Like 1

On 17/09/2024 at 09:34, warwickhunt said:

I 'think' you and I @NancyJohnson are possibly trying to achieve the same sonic goal/tone re a sound and I'm following this as I'm struggling to achieve it as well, hence I've read and I'm following this thread.  I'm going to use such vague terms that I'll be laughed at but here goes... I want a sound that is slightly aggressive, a bit of grit/drive but not overdrive; almost a good valve amp just starting to break up that is also maybe fattening up as you get speaker compression.  Like you I have good amps (Thunderfunk, Tech Soundsystems Blackcat, EBS HD350) and some decent cabs (TC RS210 x2 and a TKS 115) and I have a few preamp pedals (Fishman Plat Pro, Sansamp, BBE Acoustimax, Radial Bassbone) but I can't quite achieve that tone in a package that can (easily) go with me to a range of gigs.  I also have an MXR OD (too much drive even when dialled to minimum) and a TC booster (adds a nicer break up but it is still really 'distortion').  The Sansamp drive is an easy fix but it is too global on it's application; I almost want drive but just on the top end.

I know some folks achieve their goals through modelling but I just can't, I've honestly tried and I end up spending 5 times as long messing about to achieve the same result as I'd get from my Sansamp or Radial pedals.  I have tried Helix, I owned a Kemper (Toaster) and the Nux MLD through FRFR and through IEM; as a result I'm actually more comfortable using IEM and going through the PA with no backline but I can't find the pedal(s) that will get me the tone I want.  

Any way, I'll see if you manage to find something and I'll see if it works for me!  :)  

I reckon you and the OP need to go to the masters - Mr Gallien and Mr Krueger. 

On 25/09/2024 at 04:50, prowla said:

Isn't the AvecAmp (SansAmp with an amp) pretty much that?

The SansAmp pedals are well below the standard rack preamp level of "line out". If the amp amp isn't  known  to run on pedals it will be hit and miss if it runs on a BDDI. That is why I suggested using the RBI. Output for Africa on those.

7 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

The SansAmp pedals are well below the standard rack preamp level of "line out". If the amp amp isn't  known  to run on pedals it will be hit and miss if it runs on a BDDI. That is why I suggested using the RBI. Output for Africa on those.

I think @NancyJohnson has had an RBI, and also a 2112.
The VT500 is sometimes jokingly referred to as an "AvecAmp", because it is an integrated amp with a 500W power stage; according to Tech 21 it is "formulated with the same proprietary technology as our SansAmp Character Series VT Bass DI pedal.".

VT500_FRONT_FACE.png

Interestingly, I happened across this thread from a few years back...

1 hour ago, prowla said:

I think @NancyJohnson has had an RBI, and also a 2112.
The VT500 is sometimes jokingly referred to as an "AvecAmp", because it is an integrated amp with a 500W power stage; according to Tech 21 it is "formulated with the same proprietary technology as our SansAmp Character Series VT Bass DI pedal.".

VT500_FRONT_FACE.png

Interestingly, I happened across this thread from a few years back...

Yup, had a lot of stuff:

RBI (rack)

VT Bass (rack)

Geddy2112 (rack)

BDDI (twice)

GT2

VTBASS DI

DP-3X

GED 2112 DI

... there's probably been more.

I'm kind of coming round to either a GSS Baby Sumo or finding someone to build me something.  Small is the way forward; no more racks.  If I need a trolley to get it into a venue, it's too big.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Yup, had a lot of stuff:

RBI (rack)

VT Bass (rack)

Geddy2112 (rack)

BDDI (twice)

GT2

VTBASS DI

DP-3X

GED 2112 DI

... there's probably been more.

I'm kind of coming round to either a GSS Baby Sumo or finding someone to build me something.  Small is the way forward; no more racks.  If I need a trolley to get it into a venue, it's too big.

You're still welcome to try out some of mine if you like; I mentioned that I took an Ampeg pre/power along to a Bass Bash a couple of years ago and never powered it on because my Markbass EVO sounded so good.