Why become a member? ×

A custom pick guard, but...

Dood

I think I want to try a pickguard on one (or more) of my Fender Power Jazz Bass Specials - now, the standard MIJ Jazz Bass Special is a P bass body and thus, without too much trouble a normal Fender Precision guard wil pop straight on (disregarding the controls alignment for the moment). 

However, the PJBS has additional sculting around the horns and a longer 22 fret neck to navigate around. Firstly, I don't know if a pickguard will even look that good on my basses and I wouldn't mind finding a talented basschatter who is good with design to mock up an image and then, some suggestions for people who'd actually be able to make a really high quality pickguard if I decided to give it a go.

I'm not against the idea of a jazz or "54" shape guard if it looks good, as an alternative. 

I'll get a decent "flat on" picture of the bass up later.

Ok, so I found this! https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/371822625824941/ 

I'm not sure about the controls area of the guard, but at least its a start for me to visualise what it'd look like I guess...

436826593_1826071364524855_3577419890321247485_n.jpg

437181953_1132733484641978_3163680190328549669_n.jpg

and, I don't really like the look, so I may shelve the idea... 

Edited by Dood
Changed my mind! Nahhhhhhhhhh....
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Dood said:

and, I don't really like the look, so I may shelve the idea... 

I think that looks great, but then I prefer Fenders with scratchplates- I like the way they echo the curves of the body.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ahpook said:

I think that looks great, but then I prefer Fenders with scratchplates- I like the way they echo the curves of the body.

Me too - accentuates the "smaller" body , looks great!   Just in the middle of refurbing one of these and might well go in this direction.  

• Like 1

If in doubt... without...

Why would anyone add a pickguard that is mainly there to cover the pickup and control wirings routing, when they have gone to the extra trouble of neat pickup routs and rear routed control cavity... makes no sense! 😉

Edited by PaulThePlug