Why become a member? ×

Seeking a brand new bass, try before I buy.

brettdbass

Hey there forum peeps.

I'm looking to buy a really nice bass, as a present for myself. 

I don't know exactly what I want, but I have several preferences, and I've come to seek your help in tracking down my dream machine.

It has to be 4 strings, fretted and long scale.

I have a strong preference for the precision-style pickup configuration. Also vastly prefer a natural wood style finish, or as close to that as possible.

Ideally new, open to near-perfect second hand.

Budget up to about £2K.

I don't know what make or model I want, but research tells me Ibanez, Lakland and Warwick will likely be good contenders.

Because I'm searching for my ideal instrument, I need to be able to try out lots of options to find out what I like, hate and eventually, I hope, love.

And now, the kicker.

I live in Leicester in the East Midlands, and there are no nearby retailers I can find with a good selection of basses to try out anywhere nearby.

PMT Notts and Northants both have crappy stock. They're the best l can find nearby, but their stock is not good enough to justify the trip.

So, can any of you fine wise folk help out this old duffer find the seemingly impossible?

Thanks.

Pmt only stock really boring basses.  Not so far to bass direct in Warwick tho, who have EVERYTHING...and Bass Bros nearby.  But for £2k, natural wood finish ... Warwick streamer?  Generally go 2nd hand for £1600 to £1800... push the budget and try a Spector?

Warwick necks vary enormously through the years. Do you prefer thick or thin necks?

PS: Another vote for Bass Direct, about 35 miles from Leicester. Bass Bros, about two miles from them, has rather more limited stock but would be worth visiting - you need to make an appointment though, unlike Bass Direct that you can just drop in on.

Edited by tauzero
  • Like 1

It’s great to hear that you intend to try plenty of bases wherever possible. In my view, this is a really good idea. As others have suggested, both Bass direct and Bass Bros are not too far from you. A train trip to London wouldn’t be difficult either, even if this means taking some money for the train fare from your budget. The Bass Gallery in Camden is packed with an incredible range of basses and a couple of hours in there may be very helpful in helping you to decide what suits your needs and preferences

• Like 2

A day trip by train to London may be the best course of action. Get up to Camden from Kings X or Euston (whichever  your terminus is), there you’ll find a branch of Guitar Guitar, then you can go to the Aladdin’s cave that is The Gallery, a bit up the road.

• Like 2

As many have said here already you’d really need to go to visit either The Gallery or Bass Direct. They’re the only places where you can realistically try a wide variety of instruments at all price points; both new and used. Seeking out various branches of PMT or Guitar Guitar would not prove particularly fruitful as neither of those chains stock that many basses and would only cover and handful of brands. 
If it were me I’d be straight down to The Gallery. Even all the way from Leicester. It’d be well worth the extra time

• Like 4

Come to think of it, visit Bass Direct, then you're just by the M40 which takes you into That London (via the A40) and The Bass Gallery is quite close to Euston Station (I used to walk past Euston Station to the Royal Veterinary College when I was a student, and The Bass Gallery is only a little further along). Go back via Bass Direct if you prefer one that you tried out there.

If you have to buy without trying, it's always a bit of a gamble, so go with a store that has a good return policy and a bass brand that has a good track history. 

I have seven basses, bought five of the from Reverb.

No problems whatsoever with any of them.

Keyword...savvy. 

• Haha 1

£2k is pretty good coin. My one thought is that buying secondhand at not stupid prices lets you buy try things without losing much money at all... and then lets you look at older basses that fit what you're after in your price bracket... a natural finish BB1200 for example, pre'92 streamer stage 1, and so on.  

• Like 1

Also in that fancy London is Wunjo on Denmark st.  They have all kinds of stuff and are really helpful.... but last I went they seemed a bit snowed under with beat up, overpriced old Fenders..check their website.

Not sure a £2k budget will achieve a custom John Shuker btw ... also it's hard to find any to try out.

Edited by NickA
  • Like 1