Why become a member? ×

Line6 Helix

JPJ

Firstly, I’ve got to say that I find the Line6 Helix website pages absolutely useless. So can any wise Basschatters advise which Helix product allows you to run two instruments (so two separate 1/4” inputs), two separate signal paths with EQ (including HP & LP filters, can easily load IR’s, and has a built in XLR based DI output. I don’t need lots of effects (but some would be nice, maybe reverb, compression, chorus, octave, and a bit of drive/dirt on one signal path). Smallest form factor wins as I’ll not be doing a whole lot of patch changing.

The HX stomp CAN do it, but it's awkward in how you have to set it up and you're restricted to 8 processing blocks total  (used to be 6 but an update upgraded it!) and doesn't have XLR ours. You need to go to the HELIX LT for that.

Go the whole hog...

• Like 1

Stomp doesn’t have XLR but the output can be run balanced, so a basic 1/4” to XLR adapter gets you FOH ready; personally I carry one of these cables as a backup but normally run on to a separate preamp/DI. I run my bass and synth through the Stomp. 

Dead easy. Although dependent on what you want from it, you might struggle with DSP. For example i dont beleive you can have two 2048 IRs simultaneously. you can have 2 1024 IRs though. 

As others pointed out, theres no XLR outputs but the jack outs are balanced/unbalanced so you can just get the relevant cable adapter, or what I do, just have a DI box to hand. I used to think the lack of XLR outs on multieffects was a deal breaker, it really isnt.

Don't get me wrong, the full size  Helix's are pretty immense, but  they are pretty big and actuallyt quite heavy.. the stomp literally fits in the front pouch of my case and will do everything you want, as long as your realistic with your ambitions!

Just be aware that while the Helix Floor and Rack have plenty of analogue inputs - 7 in total including the return inputs only one of them (Guitar In) is at instrument level, so depending on what you intend use with it you may need a level/impedance matching box to use the other inputs effectively.

• Like 1