Why become a member? ×

Adjustable bridge

Monstera11

I'm having trouble with my adjustable bridge, I had it fitted back in the summer and it's just a pain in the arse to be honest.

I mostly play, psychobilly/ rockabilly and have innovations silver slap or rockabilly slap. From what I've found on the web ideally my action should be between 6-10mm. Is this right? I haven't played my bass in years and have just started again recently and want it to be setup right.

So the bridge is set to its lowest but the bolt is still visible and leaves a gap as if it's be highered. But if you turn the screw it just spins around and goes down to the foot but leaves a gap at the top of the foot and does nothing. So if you imagine a adjustable bridge that's been highered, but instead of the screw bring at the top touching the bottom of the bridge its actually touching the top of the feet ( basically upside down)

Right now at it's lowest it gives me an action of 6mmG, 8mm D,A and 11mm on the E!

The E string is so high in comparison to the other strings, the only way I can lower it is to take the bridge off and turn the foot so it lowers that way. My question is if I turn the foot just on the E side will this affect the way the tension is spread, and damage my bass? I don't want it to pop a hole in my bass. Am I better of sanding top of off the bridge off instead?

I know it's only a millimeter but it annoys me. Also it buzzes like anything no matter what height it's at, at it's highest it's 15mm still buzzes despite going to the luthier twice, any ideas.

1 hour ago, Monstera11 said:

I'm having trouble with my adjustable bridge, I had it fitted back in the summer and it's just a pain in the arse to be honest.

I mostly play, psychobilly/ rockabilly and have innovations silver slap or rockabilly slap. From what I've found on the web ideally my action should be between 6-10mm. Is this right? I haven't played my bass in years and have just started again recently and want it to be setup right.

So the bridge is set to its lowest but the bolt is still visible and leaves a gap as if it's be highered. But if you turn the screw it just spins around and goes down to the foot but leaves a gap at the top of the foot and does nothing. So if you imagine a adjustable bridge that's been highered, but instead of the screw bring at the top touching the bottom of the bridge its actually touching the top of the feet ( basically upside down)

Right now at it's lowest it gives me an action of 6mmG, 8mm D,A and 11mm on the E!

The E string is so high in comparison to the other strings, the only way I can lower it is to take the bridge off and turn the foot so it lowers that way. My question is if I turn the foot just on the E side will this affect the way the tension is spread, and damage my bass? I don't want it to pop a hole in my bass. Am I better of sanding top of off the bridge off instead?

I know it's only a millimeter but it annoys me. Also it buzzes like anything no matter what height it's at, at it's highest it's 15mm still buzzes despite going to the luthier twice, any ideas.

It won’t damage the bass, no. If you’ve got a plywood bass then it’ll be fine. If you have a fully carved one, might be worth taking to a luthier.

The action shouldn’t buzz. The problem is that the low tension strings reverberate a lot. In the end, when you’re playing acoustically or through an amp the audience won’t hear it. 

If you’re confident working with wood then give it a crack. Reshaping the top of a bridge can be a challenge so make sure you know what you’re doing before you start working.

Photos?  I'm having trouble understanding. Sounds like the adjusters weren't installed properly as they should screw right down.  The hole drilled in the top half of the bridge isn't deep enough.

Here's mine in "bowing" mode for orchestra. 12mm on the G.  And in Jazz mode. 8mm on the G.  Eva Pirazzis tho, so moderately high tension and a low action mwahs not buzzes.

The knurled wheels go up and down the threaded bolts that are fastened in the feet, so when you screw it right down more of the bolt goes into the top of the bridge....or not if the hole's too shallow.  I'd fix that before filing the bridge down.  Tho you can do that, file the slots down till you're happy, then reshape to match.

IMG_2024-09-17-22-26-28-873.thumb.jpg.c63163c3a0fbf426a39c43f4a39f494c.jpgIMG_2024-09-17-22-21-10-248.thumb.jpg.759a39911c4221413dec77db2e3caa87.jpg

You've been to a luthier twice, and your bridge doesn't adjust properly and your strings are buzzing.

Sounds to me like you need a different luthier.  Some luthiers can get a little snooty when they learn that you're not playing in an orchestra.  I think you need to ask around and get the right guy for your bass and playing style.