Why become a member? ×

Staying safe on stage

clarket2

Hi all

Wondered if I could ask a bit of advice on how people deal with audience members coming on stage uninvited and disrupting the performance? I get its an occupational hazard but there is a balance between being respectful to audience members and keeping performance going but also protecting yourself and your equipment. Was just interested in strategies people have learned for navigating/reducing this as a problem?

99.9% of audience members in my experience get it and are respectful and even those that want to come have a sing along with the band can be fine. I'm talking more about when people (due to drink/other reasons) don't stick to the boundaries that keep performers safe and/or keep the performance going. Some examples that come to mind from the past few years are:

Trying to play instruments (while in use by the performers)

Taking back up instruments off stage

Playing with amps/pa gear

Climbing on equipment

Inappropriate physical contact

Aggression (both verbal and physical)

Thanks as always

Tom

Not really to address the aggressive adult types, but when I used to play weddings with lots of kids we would put a rope across the front of the stage and ask people not to cross (and keep children behind it) - just tie it to something more solid than a speaker stand!

Once in a pub, a very long time ago, we stopped playing until the landlord removed the person causing trouble.

My band used to play the 12 til 3pm shift at a local music bar. The guitarist spent more time kicking drunken people off the stage with his Dr Martens than actually playing guitar. None of the drunks seemed to mind a quick boot up the arse.

Good times 🤣

1 hour ago, clarket2 said:

Climbing on equipment

In the early days we had to deal with people doing all of these things. Fortunately I haven't seen any "situations" for many years, but if someone is interfering with the band, the gear or the performance you have to stop until they move or are moved off the stage and away from the band. Until COVID I regularly depped in a band where the bass player refused to do the gig because the people made him "nervous"! I never saw any problems, but they were a little lairy at times.

Edited by chris_b

Most people getting on stage are doing it for a laugh, don`t have any intentions of breaking anything, it`s their night out and they`re just getting a bit merry and over-excited. I do find this happens more with covers bands in regular pubs rather than originals bands, no idea why. 

But if their behaviour is getting to a point where it`s unsafe, either for them or the band then simply give them a good firm push and yell f**k off at them, and be prepared to hit them full pelt if needed (tho not if it`s ladies, irrespective of their behaviour I`m sorry, it might not be equal treatment but I`m not walloping women).

A rope is a very good idea, as soon as someone crosses gig stops. I've twice had mics shoved into my face when an audience member has found their way into the what is pretty clearly the band's area and knocked into my mic stand - I'm playing DB do can't simply move out of the way as I would with an electric - the last time it was so painful it messed up the rest of the gig for me. Made me realises that this.....

3 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Play better venues?

...is actually very sound advice. If you don't have that option, at least make sure the people behind the bar are aware that the safety and security of the band is their issue while the band are performing, and specifically it's not up to the band to try and police the audience.  

3 hours ago, Beedster said:

...I've twice had mics shoved into my face when an audience member has found their way into the what is pretty clearly the band's area and knocked into my mic stand - I'm playing DB do can't simply move out of the way as I would with an electric - the last time it was so painful it messed up the rest of the gig for me. Made me realises that this.....

Set your mic stand up with the single leg facing towards you (ie directly under the mic), that way it goes sideways when someone knocks it...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SimonK said:

Set your mic stand up with the single leg facing towards you (ie directly under the mic), that way it goes sideways when someone knocks it...

Been my experience that it doesn’t work so well with a double bass  👍

Lots of good advice here (although I wouldn’t necessarily follow the suggestion I gave earlier in the thread - it has worked, but there is also the risk of escalation.)

If it’s a pub or social club and someone is being an anus, you can ask the management to deal with them. Private events are a bit trickier, but if necessary you can stop playing and announce over the mic that you can’t be having audience members in the playing area. If this happens more than once, hopefully the audience will realise that the eejits are spoiling it for everyone else. Emphasise their safety and yours (lots of electrical equipment) rather than risk of damage to kit. Anything you can do to create a divide between band and audience will help (eg empty cases placed to prevent stage side access), but if there’s not even an actual stage then that can be difficult.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beedster said:

Been my experience that it doesn’t work so well with a double bass  👍

Really? I could see how it might clatter the neck but it should at least miss your face.... starts to experiment with a mic stand.... 

7 minutes ago, SimonK said:

Really? I could see how it might clatter the neck but it should at least miss your face.... starts to experiment with a mic stand.... 

I always have the single leg facing away, it’s just habit now but originated from needing the mic stand and endpin to keep their distance from one another - less chance of me tipping a mic stand into the audience, but I guess more chance of them tipping one onto me. I’ve not looked at how other players do it, especially on small stages, probably should 🙂

23 hours ago, clarket2 said:

Hi all

Wondered if I could ask a bit of advice on how people deal with audience members coming on stage uninvited and disrupting the performance? I get its an occupational hazard but there is a balance between being respectful to audience members and keeping performance going but also protecting yourself and your equipment. Was just interested in strategies people have learned for navigating/reducing this as a problem?

99.9% of audience members in my experience get it and are respectful and even those that want to come have a sing along with the band can be fine. I'm talking more about when people (due to drink/other reasons) don't stick to the boundaries that keep performers safe and/or keep the performance going. Some examples that come to mind from the past few years are:

Climbing on equipment

Thanks as always

Tom

The only trouble I've encountered in years of gigging is the inappropriate physical contact - basically getting dry humped by some woman who thought it would be hilarious while her friend videoed it.  HOW EFFIN' HILARIOUS (not).  I could have done without it, personally.  What can you do though?  She's behind me.  Can't bump her out of the way with my backside, don't want to give her any encouragement.  I just tried to concentrate on what I was doing and hoped she'd get bored and eff off.  Eventually, she did bog off when she didn't get a rise or reaction out of me but damn.  So funny isn't it?  Now what do you think would have happened if I had suddenly started grinding myself against a female performer?  I'd be out on my ear within seconds, I reckon.  But because it's the other way round, it's "funny" and I should be grateful for the attention, right?

Well, no, it sucked and I'd rather it hadn't happened at all, thanks.  I don't know what I could have done differently - compromise my musical performance to channel some brain power into my spacial awareness perhaps?

Thankfully, it's a super rare occurrence.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, neepheid said:

The only trouble I've encountered in years of gigging is the inappropriate physical contact - basically getting dry humped by some woman who thought it would be hilarious while her friend videoed it.  HOW EFFIN' HILARIOUS (not).  I could have done without it, personally.  What can you do though?  She's behind me.  Can't bump her out of the way with my backside, don't want to give her any encouragement.  I just tried to concentrate on what I was doing and hoped she'd get bored and eff off.  Eventually, she did bog off when she didn't get a rise or reaction out of me but damn.  So funny isn't it?  Now what do you think would have happened if I had suddenly started grinding myself against a female performer?  I'd be out on my ear within seconds, I reckon.  But because it's the other way round, it's "funny" and I should be grateful for the attention, right?

Well, no, it sucked and I'd rather it hadn't happened at all, thanks.  I don't know what I could have done differently - compromise my musical performance to channel some brain power into my spacial awareness perhaps?

There appears to be a cultural assumption in the over 40's that if you're on stage you're fair game, the idea being "We're the customer". I don't think it's an over 40's thing, I think it's slowly dying out as that generation ages. 

On 16/09/2024 at 11:14, gjones said:

My band used to play the 12 til 3pm shift at a local music bar. The guitarist spent more time kicking drunken people off the stage with his Dr Martens than actually playing guitar. None of the drunks seemed to mind a quick boot up the arse.

Good times 🤣

Although my comments above were lighthearted, I have played places where the drunken antics of the knuckle dragging, audience were so extreme, that I refused to play there again. It resulted in me getting sacked from the band but my physical wellbeing was more important to me than a gig in a very dodgy pub.

So my advice is, if the pub is dodgy, don't play there.

23 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I remember seeing a mate's band many years ago when between songs some eijit came up to him very loudly..

"Can I have a go on your guitar?"

"Only if I can have a go on your girlfriend."

Did the trick.

That's my fave line to use. I also use it with bassists in support bands who turn up at a gig but conveniently have forgotten their bass/amp or cab.

When I was in the KISS tribute band we had pyro on stage and put notices on the PA cab to stay away from the edge of the stage. Once, at a gig in South Shields, two numpties decided they wanted to sing on the chorus of a song so clambered up onto the stage just as some pyro went off behind us (luckily nowhere near them). That was enough for me and I downed bass and headed to the dressing room while my bandmates stood there perplexed. I refused to perform until the in-house Promoter came and saw me and got his act together/sorted security....
It was a tense half hour of no band onstage but I'd do it again every time. The stage area is sacred ground and NO punter shall enter it without permission.

Edited by cetera
spelling
  • Like 4

On 17/09/2024 at 09:21, neepheid said:

If someone is right behind you and you don't want them there, step backwards and accidentally tread on their toe.

4 hours ago, BigRedX said:

One of the many, many reasons why I no longer play in covers bands. I've played to some extreme audiences - punk and psychobilly - in some very dodgy looking venues, but unlike pub gigs the audience respect the band and the stage area.

Same experience here, punk/Oi/psychobilly and aside from every now & then someone landing on stage due to over-exuberant dancing there`s never been any actual issues from audience members, either with my band or with any of the bands on that scene that I`ve seen play.