Why become a member? ×

NAD - Fender content

JapanAxe

Strictly NAW (week) as I picked this up from @essexbasscat the previous weekend. It has also belonged to @krispn - not the first time I have owned stuff after him, the guy obviously has great taste!

The amp in question is a Fender TB600 head, which combines a valve preamp and overdrive stage with a chunky Class AB output section in a 2U rack format. I have had a hankering for one of these on-and-off for a while, so when the stars aligned I went for it.

My first go with it through my BF Super Twin was not very auspicious as there was a bit of a crackle and when I switched it on the second time it went dead. This last was user error - on close inspection, the amp has a rated power consumption of 900W, which at 240V mains equates to a current draw of nearly 4A. A toroidal transformer (which this amp has) also draws a high inrush current, so no wonder!

As well as fitting a higher rated fuse in the mains lead in place of the 3A, I decided to give the amp a quick service. The innards are easily accessible once the top cover is removed, allowing me to remove and test both 12AX7 valves (Groove Tubes badged, Russian made, original fitment and still good) and treat all the pots, sockets and switches with switch cleaner. No more crackle after that! I also spotted an intact 10A fuse on the power inlet board which reassured me that there wasn't likely to be a troublesome short circuit somewhere. I also replaced the bolts securing one of the front grab handles as it had taken a knock at some time and they had been bent. None of this should be taken as criticism of the seller - it's an 18-year-old amp and some maintenance is inevitably going to be required.

The preamp tone controls are passive, so they have enough range to set your desired sound but not enough to create unusable extremes. The Vari-Q will notch out a narrow band of frequencies or add a subtle hump of mid boost; the Room control is a tilt EQ. It's all very well thought out. In the living room all my basses sound great, with plenty of top end when required, even through my tweeterless cab.

Down to business with the first of 2 rock'n'roll gigs this weekend gone. My weapon of choice was an AVRI '63 Precision. You know when you're just enjoying listening to the sound that you're making? It was one of those. Afterwards Mrs Axe said to me, 'Your bass was quite loud tonight you know.' Yes. Yes it was. I had a strong impression of power being delivered effortlessly on demand. The core tone is solid, fat and round, just as I like - there's definitely some heft going on! On the second gig I hd an issue with booming, but it was the PA, not my bass rig. Once sorted it was again a pleasure to play.

Pic below is from the sale ad but I'll try to furnish some Fender/BF combo p0rn in due course.

IMG_0467.thumb.JPG.49fcd15fb8c7ce2c955c4

Edited by JapanAxe
  • Like 7

I always fancied trying once of those heads but never saw them in the shops to try. 

Just looked like a really solid, well thought out amp. Definitely Fender's attempt at providing competition to the Ampeg SVT Pro and Mesa M-pulse lines which were doing well (at least in the USA) around about the mid/late 2000s. 

Edited by thodrik
  • Like 1

It’s fun once you start to blend int he drive section. All that pleasing fat fundament robe just gets a wee lift from adding a touch of gain. It’ll go heavier but that ‘finishing touch’ which a wee nudge of drive can offer is tone heaven. 

7 minutes ago, krispn said:

It’s fun once you start to blend int he drive section. All that pleasing fat fundament robe just gets a wee lift from adding a touch of gain. It’ll go heavier but that ‘finishing touch’ which a wee nudge of drive can offer is tone heaven. 

Yes I had a little go with it at home but haven't tried it on a gig yet. I do like to mix in a little bit of 'fur' - it's less obvious as 'distortion' in a live mix, but it does help to colour the sound.

Quite surprised to hear about the crackle, I never gigged the amp during my ownership but tested it in a studio a few months ago before posted the ad, all seemed ok at the time and I advertised it in good faith. I always give full disclosure about the equipment I sell, if there's any problems I try my best to sort things out. That being said, I'm glad you're happy with the sound  

16 hours ago, essexbasscat said:

Quite surprised to hear about the crackle, I never gigged the amp during my ownership but tested it in a studio a few months ago before posted the ad, all seemed ok at the time and I advertised it in good faith. I always give full disclosure about the equipment I sell, if there's any problems I try my best to sort things out. That being said, I'm glad you're happy with the sound  

No complaints here at all Tom, with either the amp or your ad. Might have been a pot or socket but or even the lead from my bass, but quickly disappeared. I've had the same when I haven't used an amp for a while.