Why become a member? ×

Whatever Happened to Picato

I mentioned in another thread that I used to love the Picato Groundwounds. As I remember it these were made at Picato in Wales. I may be wrong but I think they were based in Treorchy. I understand that the Welsh facility closed some years ago and PIcato strings are now made by another UK company?

I found this on Wikipedia but it is not really that enlightening.

"Picato Musicians Strings has been owned by Strings And Things Limited since the early 1980s when it acquired the business of General Music Strings Limited, the original founders. General Music Strings Limited was established in the 1940s by the Stein family and by the 1970s were prolific British producers of strings for acoustic, classical, electric and bass guitars; as well as banjo, mandolin, ukulele and violin. It was during this period that Tony Iommi lost the tips of two of his fingers in an accident and the Picato company designed an extra low gauge string set (.008" - .032") especially for him.[1] At that time Picato strings were used by many famous rock guitarists and bassists such as Ritchie Blackmore,[2] Roger Glover,[3] Tony McPhee and Eric Clapton[2] to name just four."

Any more info?

I used top love their groundwounds and full on flats.  However, they did change towards the end and the flats went from fantastic (pre silk ends) to dead and cardboard boxxy when they also added black silks at the ends - the E was unusable.  I now use Elites groundwounds, a bit brighter/livelier but settle down well.

I think they also used to make the Status strings as they also offer a 'halfround' but stock died out when picato went under

From memory of the Picatos the Elites are slightly higher though its been a while since i played picatos. 

I really miss their silkless flats, very old school with a pillowy 'whhoooomf' that ive not found since