Why become a member? ×

Help with choosing a bass distortion pedal

Mike Bungo

Hi. I play in a classic Punk band and I currently use an Ampeg pre amp which I love into a TC Electronic Nova Drive for Overdrive and the odd song with distortion. I'm wanting to get separate pedals so I'm going to get an Ampeg Scrambler for overdrive but need help with choosing a distortion pedal that's not gonna give me overkill and that's also not gonna break the bank. I've tried a Big Muff & Dark glass but they just seem to be too much......Thanks in advance

Pedal Board.jpg

Edited by Mike Bungo
additional thought :)

I love that Ampeg pre-amp pedal and like you, I've been looking for overdrive and distortion to compliment it (although I'm after more of a Chris Squire drive sound with the option to go a little further). I've got an EHX Hot Wax pedal (originally bought for guitar). It's two independent overdrive/distortions which can also be combined (actually the 'Hot Tubes' and 'Crayon pedals crammed into one box). Works for me with a P Bass, Hohner Jack and Sterling Ray34 HH into FOH.

Edit: I have also used a Marshall JMP 1 valve pre-amp rack unit, also originally bought for when I was guitaring. It has programmable patches that can be selected using a midi pedal and also has an FX loop. Rack and midi pedals, with attendant cables, is a bit bulky but I'd still use it for the right gig.

Edited by Franticsmurf
  • Like 1

A Joyo Ultimate drive could do the job nicely, or a TC Electronic Mojo Mojo. Both have worked nicely for me. You can get them to go into a very overdriven/distortion territory, but they also do a nice breakup tone too. 

I'd also take a look at the Laney Black Country Customs Blackheath. Different modes to try and sounds great on demos. 

Based on YT reviews/videos I bought the MXR (used)... too much drive for me (even when dialled to minimum).  I'd heard good things about the Ampeg Scrambler, so I bought one (used)... not the right type of 'drive' (for me)!  I'm subsequently back to square one looking for the right kind of OD but I'm not listening to any more online samples and I need to have them trialled in real world scenarios with the band!  LOL