Why become a member? ×

Neuraldsp Nano Cortex

Bigwan

Like, I get it, it just clearly isn't for me as an owner of it's big brother. I can see someone who just wants to utilise the huge capture library (and it is huge) as a preamp/overdrive/amp sim. But if I was in the market, I would get a Line 6 Helix Stomp no?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Killerfridge said:

Like, I get it, it just clearly isn't for me as an owner of it's big brother. I can see someone who just wants to utilise the huge capture library (and it is huge) as a preamp/overdrive/amp sim. But if I was in the market, I would get a Line 6 Helix Stomp no?

I suppose it depends on whether you want to select from a set list of effect/amp/IR blocks or a huge capture library!

10 hours ago, Killerfridge said:

But that's just it though, its capture only, with a very limited selection of onboard effects (no compressor!), so all you can do is capture stuff yourself, limited to one capture in any preset, or sift through all the junk on the cloud and try and find something that works.  No multiple rows, no clever signal chains, nothing.  I thought it would be a plugin player, but its not compatible with them either.

At the price point, why would you buy this over something like the HX Stomp, a fully useable multi fx/amp modeler? 

Again, I'm sure they've done their research and their targeting Kemper and Tonex and their offerings in this area, but I'm just struggling to "get" it.

• Like 1

It's being sold to people who've bought in to the IR capture hype. Personally I can't see the point. IMO no sound generation method is irreplaceable. The Helix (just as an example) has over 200 distortion pedal models or amps that have drive/distortion as one of their parameters. With that many options to choose from you should be able to find something that will be a close enough replacement or might be even better than any device you are trying to capture.

5 hours ago, BigRedX said:

It's being sold to people who've bought in to the IR capture hype. Personally I can't see the point. IMO no sound generation method is irreplaceable. The Helix (just as an example) has over 200 distortion pedal models or amps that have drive/distortion as one of their parameters. With that many options to choose from you should be able to find something that will be a close enough replacement or might be even better than any device you are trying to capture.

I agree, I personally don't get why a digital capture of a specific amp you own is so much better than a digital capture of a specific amp that Line6 or whoever own. 

13 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

I agree, I personally don't get why a digital capture of a specific amp you own is so much better than a digital capture of a specific amp that Line6 or whoever own. 

I think a lot of people who're interested in these units have a sound that they're completely happy with already, they just want a more convenient form factor.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrDinsdale said:

I think a lot of people who're interested in these units have a sound that they're completely happy with already, they just want a more convenient form factor.

That's what I'm imagining: you've got an amp/cab setup that you like, now you can just capture it and send it to FOH/in ears

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BigRedX said:

So are these people doing their own rig captures are doing them in a properly acoustically treated space using a distance mic on the cab(s). Because let’s face it that's the only way you are going to get the actual sound that you like.

If you’re trying to capture an amp and cab then sure.

I think it’s more common to pair a capture of an amp with an IR for the cab. For that you just need a DI or a load box.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BigRedX said:

So are these people doing their own rig captures are doing them in a properly acoustically treated space using a distance mic on the cab(s). Because lets face it that's the only way you are going to get the actual sound that you like.

Some are - but it's also not always necessary depending on the equipment being used. Some take the capture directly from the speaker outs (and a loadbox). Others only require close mic and then the signal being sent through the amp by the capture unit is a bunch of weird reference tones and nothing like a guitar.

More of them come out well than you might expect.

• Like 1