Why become a member? ×

Lakland DJ5 v Cort Elrick NJS 5 (added more questions/options!!!)

Bigwan

Considering a 5 string Jazz guys and kind of have it narrowed down to either a Lakland DJ5 or an Elrick NJS5. No chance of road testing either before buying - Northern Ireland is truly a bass wasteland...

So has anybody got experience of both these instruments? I've previously owned 4 Lakland Skylines (JO4, 55-01, 55-02 dlx, BG5) and love their 5 string neck so I'm leaning that way myself, but could do with further input! And maybe suggestions of alternatives in the usual Basschat style! Preferably a passive 5 with 70s pickup spacing, 18-19mm string spacing, available used for around a grand. I've already considered a Sire V5 but I'd need hands on before I'd go that route.

Edited by Bigwan

I’ve owned both, I prefer the Lakland in terms of playability and sound. Ones passive and ones active however so there’s a fair difference (my Lakland is now active tho tbf). The Cort is very modern sounding, and it definitely IS a great bass, you won’t go far wrong with it, but for me the Lakland sounds tremendous and I much prefer playing it, altho even with a preamp in its more traditional J Bass than the Cort. The reason I changed the Cort was cos it felt a bit too modern and zingy for me, even tho that is exactly what I liked about it when I got it, after maybe 10-15 gigs it had worn off. I change basses like I do underpants sometimes (up to twice a month 🤣) but I’ve not been happier with a bass than I am with the Lakland - YMMV 

I've only owned two Laklands and they have both been terrific. The Plek'd necks are a dream. The

55-02 I bought off Paddy feels top drawer. 

What I will say about my NJS-5 is that not only does it play brilliantly  but also sounds very even across the strings and throughout the length of the fretboard. All the strings can be heard clearly when all the other instruments are going too. With some basses the D and G strings can get a bit lost. On the Cort everything is very clear. 

Are you considering an Elrick NJS5 or a Cort NJS5? (EDIT: Just seen that the tread title says Cort….buf if you had additional budget, read on).

Over the years I’ve owned both a DJ5 and an Elrick NJS5, I’ve not played any of the Cort Elrick basses though.

While I kinda would expect mostly to be suggesting the DJ5 over the Elrick (Because I’m more of a straight Passive bass fan typically, and separately, I LOVED the DJ4 I owned for a bit too), if I’m honest with myself, I would probably have to recommend the Elrick NJS5 ahead of it (not the Cort I should stress). Yes it did the bright modern thing if you needed it to, but the Bartolini pickups and pre could really warm up as well. Plus passive switch too.

If it’s the Cort NJS5 you’re looking at, I can’t comment on that, and so would default to recommending the DJ5.

FWIW, my old NJS5 is for sale HERE, not by me, Andy bought it off me for stock.

You can hear it on this song in passive mode:

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 1

Has anybody with experience of these basses tried a Markbass Gloxy GV5 by any chance? Not the prettiest basses around but they sound pretty killer, have my preferred P-bass body shape and they're well under budget...

• Bigwan changed the title to Lakland DJ5 v Cort Elrick NJS 5 (added more questions/options!!!)