Why become a member? ×

Thanks FedEx

stevie

18 hours ago, stevie said:

What an excellent idea! Thanks, @Dad3353.

I've done the cling film trick a few times. A good friend has a son who has his own transport company. He gave me a role of the industrial stuff they use to wrap the contents on pallets.

Coming in very handy for our move out of the country.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Beedster said:

That is the absolute bottom line, like many large organisations, they are characterised by a systematic absence of care for or responsibility towards their customers, they are largely unregulated, cover every possible example of professional failing on their part in small print, and make communication and complaint almost impossible 😡

caution mini rant!

I don’t think this is confined to courier companies or large companies. The amount of times I have to clean up and fix work by builders or other trades (independents getting paid well) mechanics, monosyllabic service industry staff etc.

I do everything possible myself now and only reluctantly use a “professional”. I’m not sure when or why this lack of professional pride or courtesy started but if you want a recipe to be miserable in life it’s guaranteed if you work purely for money and not the intrinsic pleasure of doing what you do well and taking pride in whatever you do (however humble it may be).

Rant over 

Edit: From personal experience I don’t use courier companies for anything over around £50. Obviously this is not possible for a business. The state of that package is just shocking. The fact that someone could deliver that or  process it through its journey without feeling a sense of shame or a professional responsibility to escalate the issue is pretty shocking.

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, jezzaboy said:

This exactly. Having worked in the transport/logistics sector most of my days including with several parcel delivery companies, my wife who has always worked in the NHS doesn`t believe me when I say that the majority of the people who work in these companies just don`t give a baboon`s rear.

Around the turn of the millennium, I was working as a motorcycle courier for TNT. The van and bike couriers were reasonably conscientious (can't answer for the lorry drivers, they were in a different part) but one of our jobs was to do deliveries that Royal Mail's drivers couldn't be arsed to do.

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

I think what is being suggested is to wrap the speaker in clingfilm and then box it.

The cab itself didn't suffer water damage. It was sealed in a thick polythene bag - then placed inside a Hotcovers cover, which as many of you know is very tough and protective. The top and bottom edges received edge protectors all round. This was then packed in a double-wall cardboard box custom-made specifically for this cab.

It does look like the clingfilm trick might have helped, but I'm also taking Beedster's warning seriously.

• Like 1

You know UPS has also its lot of dumb workers.

They tried to deliver me a brand new Mesa Boogie combo, I say tried, because when the driver turned the parcel to get it out of the van, you could see on the "invisible" side a hole made by the fork of a ... forklift!?! 🤔😳🫣

And the fork went through the combo, but not the other side of the parcel. 😱🤦

The driver played the innocent role, of course, and I refused the parcel clearly stating the issue on the document!

• Sad 1

First thing to do imho, is to name and shame them on Trustpilot, Facebook/ twitter ( if you use them) . 

when I was on Facebook for a short time , I went to pages of M&S/ oak furniture land, Lloyds pharmacy ( I think that’s all) when I received appalling service. It worked. I then gave positive feedback on their Facebook pages when issues were quickly resolved. ( Fair’s fair etc) 

This has the potential to become a long-running saga. I'm waiting to see what they say about my insurance claim, and I've disputed the £350 credit card charge that came out of nowhere with no explanation. It's taken hours of my time. Then I have to make sure the customer's happy, which probably means supplying a replacement cab without the drivers.

When the time is right, I expect to be following @RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE's advice by taking this to social media. The photo of the damaged packaging is a real shocker.

On 19/09/2024 at 10:24, stevie said:

A big shoutout to FedEx, who shipped the first LFSys cab to the States this week. This is what we sent:

20240909_183949cropped(Large).thumb.jpg.62d9de8ff20b1fb90b8b7d26c3334a15.jpg

and this is what arrived in New York (five days late): Scroll down for the reveal -

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

IMG_3491(Large).thumb.jpeg.afdc01722d6017f1694751d3a34b0642.jpeg

The box was plastered with Fragile stickers, by the way.

was it attacked by a pack of rabid dogs?

did you upset anybody at FedEX?

(I hope you will now!!!)

:(

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, stevie said:

This has the potential to become a long-running saga.

It has that potential yes

But......

Sometimes these things happen, and letting them become a 'cause' just costs you more time and money. Then there's the stress, which can make life miserable for a while. Your credit card company refused the payment, that's the first good thing, so to date I assume this has cost nothing and I imagine will continue to do so, you have the money, UPS don't, possession is 9/10s of the lax and all that. Of course, getting money back from UPS had your card company obliged would be a completely different scenario.

So then there's the cab itself. I assume you have insurance that will cover this. If not perhaps it's worth looking into for next time; there are companies who insure good while in transit, they're generally cheaper than the insurance offered by the couriers and unlike those aren't poacher and gamekeeper at the same time. 

It's f***ING bad luck for a first delivery to the US, and it's appalling service by UPS. But they're a courier company not a Swiss watchmaker, they f*** up with a regularity that defies nearly all statistical models of human behaviour.

I remember David Hockney doing the Grand Canyon photomontage thing, he spent thousands on films and days shooting it section by section, only for the lab to expose one of the films meaning there was a big hole in the artwork. He just shrugged, and IIRC, put the letter from the lab front and centre of said hole!   

image.png.f2d5907b22ebc35ef4c32f57f0f7ccc1.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stevie said:

This has the potential to become a long-running saga. I'm waiting to see what they say about my insurance claim, and I've disputed the £350 credit card charge that came out of nowhere with no explanation.

Be careful - I had a run in with another courier (who I'm not going to mention). I had a parcel from Thomann just after brexit when customs charges weren't streamlined. They invoiced me £60 for customs. I paid by credit card, but the payment didn't show up. I had to pay again then a week or so later both payments appeared on my statement. Phoning them involved an hour on hold and a couple of calls didn't resolve the problem ("we'll have someone call you back"), so I disputed the change and my bank refunded one of the payments. A few months later the courier set debt collectors on me! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beedster said:

It has that potential yes

But......

Sometimes these things happen, and letting them become a 'cause' just costs you more time and money. Then there's the stress, which can make life miserable for a while. Your credit card company refused the payment, that's the first good thing, so to date I assume this has cost nothing and I imagine will continue to do so, you have the money, UPS don't, possession is 9/10s of the lax and all that. Of course, getting money back from UPS had your card company obliged would be a completely different scenario.

So then there's the cab itself. I assume you have insurance that will cover this. If not perhaps it's worth looking into for next time; there are companies who insure good while in transit, they're generally cheaper than the insurance offered by the couriers and unlike those aren't poacher and gamekeeper at the same time. 

The credit card company blocked payment initially but it's now a disputed transaction. I think that means I might have to go through the rigmarole of formally disputing the transaction and providing proof, etc. etc.

The insurance was provided by FedEx themselves to the full value of the item. Poacher and gamekeeper indeed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stevie said:

The credit card company blocked payment initially but it's now a disputed transaction. I think that means I might have to go through the rigmarole of formally disputing the transaction and providing proof, etc. etc.

I think you have the proof.

I bought an Ampeg V4B about 15 years ago, now in the hands of @silverfoxnik. When it arrived the courier had it on a trolley. I assumed it was a furniture delivery, because it was in a large wooden crate, screwed together and inside it was shockproof in bubble wrap. It took me about an hour to unpack. I messaged the seller who suggested that he thought it crazy that people send valuable music stuff in cardboard, which is ultimately shit. I think he has a point. I still have the wooden crate by the way

image.thumb.png.b6f56b83cd9b5e9bec7f4304987e145b.png

image.thumb.png.69de97f717c39d68f2524d3a7e615422.png

image.thumb.png.284509295628bec660b4e2fbbf132272.png

Edited by Beedster
  • Like 2