Why become a member? ×

Coldplay 'Live' in Dublin.

Oddly

I'm not a particular fan of the band, didn't go to any of their recent 4 nights in Dublin (which by all accounts were excellent), but I have to admit this was very cool.
They pretty much just showed up on one of Dublin's streets and caused traffic chaos as word spread, then they filmed this, their latest video.

Edited by Oddly
  • Like 1

I like Coldplay. They write good songs, put on good shows, have built a loyal base of fans around the world, are very listenable if you're not a core supporter. I've played their songs in cover bands and they have always gone down well with the audiences.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Norris said:

It was on the news this morning that they will be donating 10% of the profits from their upcoming tour to support grass-roots music venues. That's a fabulous gesture

Edit: It seems they are playing at two UK venues where they will be donating...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cy0gll8lp5ko

Musical wallpaper but one of the few major acts putting their money where their mouth is. Massive gesture and will be worth a lot of money to small venues. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Apparently the two Hull gigs will have tickets priced between £70 and £100.

There will also be some limited tickets available for £20, as well as 50% of

all Hull tickets available only being sold to people in nearby postcode regions 

( HU, YO, DN and LN).

I guess they are trying to avoid the recent Oasis ticket fiasco, and although not my

cup of tea think they are to be applauded for taking this stance, along with

the 10% donation to the Music Venue Trust. Good on ‘em. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Norris said:

It was on the news this morning that they will be donating 10% of the profits from their upcoming tour to support grass-roots music venues. That's a fabulous gesture

Edit: It seems they are playing at two UK venues where they will be donating...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cy0gll8lp5ko

11 hours ago, borntohang said:

Musical wallpaper but one of the few major acts putting their money where their mouth is. Massive gesture and will be worth a lot of money to small venues. 

So I had a look at the Music Venue Trust's website to see what counted as grass-roots venues in Nottingham...

Rock City, The Rescue Rooms and The Bodega; all part of the massive DHP group. Rock City doesn't count as a grass-roots venue by any stretch of the imagination, and The Rescue Rooms doesn't really either. Metronome which basically the performance space of Nottingham Trent University. Rough Trade, again part of a much larger organisation and the venue itself is just an otherwise unused space at one end of the bar over the record shop, and Peggy's Skylight which only rarely puts on bands.

I suppose if you think live music begins and ends with stadium and arena gigs then these might count, but there's a load of smaller venues than these who really are grass-roots and far more deserving of the publicity and financial support an organisation like this is supposed to bring.

I'd be interested to know what people living in other cities think of what are supposed to be "grass-roots" venues...

7 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

So I had a look at the Music Venue Trust's website to see what counted as grass-roots venues in Nottingham...

Rock City, The Rescue Rooms and The Bodega; all part of the massive DHP group. Rock City doesn't count as a grass-roots venue by any stretch of the imagination, and The Rescue Rooms doesn't really either. Metronome which basically the performance space of Nottingham Trent University. Rough Trade, again part of a much larger organisation and the venue itself is just an otherwise unused space at one end of the bar over the record shop, and Peggy's Skylight which only rarely puts on bands.

I suppose if you think live music begins and ends with stadium and arena gigs then these might count, but there's a load of smaller venues than these who really are grass-roots and far more deserving of the publicity and financial support an organisation like this is supposed to bring.

I'd be interested to know what people living in other cities think of what are supposed to be "grass-roots" venues...

Jeez, they don't have to give anything away to anyone. The tour still has to be viable, the fact they are giving money away to anyone should be applauded. Why look to pick holes in it?

8 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Jeez, they don't have to give anything away to anyone. The tour still has to be viable, the fact they are giving money away to anyone should be applauded. Why look to pick holes in it?

Maybe the venues in Hull and London that will benefit do actually need the money and aren't part of a well-off parent organisation. All I'm saying is that they were doing the same in Nottingham it would be a mostly empty gesture.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Maybe the venues in Hull and London that will benefit do actually need the money and aren't part of a well-off parent organisation. All I'm saying is that they were doing the same in Nottingham it would be a mostly empty gesture.

Of the 7 venues in Hull listed on the MVT website, I believe 6 of them are independents which will

hopefully benefit a great deal from Coldplay’s gesture. I also wouldn’t be surprised if they chose

Hull for their two gigs knowing that it’s a part of the UK that is often overlooked and in need of

some help. 

• Like 1