Why become a member? ×

Anyone willing to help an old duffer create some backing tracks...?

The Saint

As per the thread title really.

But before you all start running to assist, there's a few things you should know...

I've been playing in a band for a few years but since covid hit, things have reduced to a trio. Me on rhythm guitar and vocals, a mate on lead guitar and my wife doing percussion and backing vocals. My mate is not likely to be playing after Christmas as he's taken early retirement , bought a motor home and will be on his travels.

My wife and I have done a quite a few gigs as a duo and it works well at small gigs and house parties.  But we don't have a full enough sound to make me happy when we plays bars and the like.

So, all this has lead me to think about using backing tracks. A Marmite subject if ever there was one, but I want to give it a go. We live in France and gig mainly in the summer months. All the tourist bars are full of solo/duo acts using tracks. That's what people expect on a night out around here.

This is where I'm currently at. Several kind people have helped me out here, but I don't feel obliged to have some poor soul answering all my banal and sometimes extremely basic questions. I've bought some tracks in the past, blissfully unaware that you can't change the key (well, maybe by semi-tone) so I started looking at Karaoke Version and similar. I get that you can change key, tempo and the like with that.

Then stuff like Moises came along and I suddenly started to think this might be the answer.  I don't about the legality of these things when it comes to performance, so maybe I'd have to use it only for practice sessions, of course...!!

Would any kind BC'er be willing to chat to me over the next few weeks in order to help me get started..? I'm really not up to speed with music technology and YouTube research has left me with more questions than answers.

By way of gear I have a MacBook Pro, GarageBand, some small mixers and not a lot of knowledge.

Thanks in advance.

Graham

Edited by The Saint

Hi Graham,

I use Moises a lot. It’s really easy to remove different instruments from a track then export the result for use as a backing track. I assume you want to do the same, I.e create backing tracks from existing recorded material? 

Happy to help or do a bunch of tracks for you. 

Cheers

ped

• The Saint changed the title to Anyone willing to help an old duffer create some backing tracks...?