Why become a member? ×

NBD: 2000s EBMM USA SUB

Beedster

Wow, just wow. I was looking for a Modulus Flea for a specific project, ended up buying a Jazz with graphite neck that was coming close but not quite, and then saw this. I owned one in the mid 2000s and it was a cracker, frankly this is even better. Still getting to grips with it, but there's something magical about the whole Stingray shape and orientation that really does help me do the Flea/RHCP thing 👍

And the board is so dark it could be ebony, on which basis a black pickguard is also going on at the earliest opportunity :) 

image.thumb.png.2bfd99e558371655746c71b17fa51721.png

• Like 18

15 minutes ago, Kev said:

Looks just like my first "proper" bass, I had the tort guard on mine as well, basically learned to play bass on it.  Great instruments!

I can't tell you the answer to why, but there are loads of Stingrays for sale at present and none of them interested me, I saw this and my eyes almost jumped out of my head Tom and Jerry style.....

image.thumb.png.adc4fb595ebe46d61d20edd457d9a5b1.png

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, police squad said:

great basses these. I've had two, shouldn't have sold either of them

Likewise mate, I'm very please to have landed this one, while I prefer an oiled neck to the heavy varnish on the SUB, this one's quite nicely played in, while the body - by coincidence being finished in the same stuff the Socients used to paint their subs in - still looks like it rolled out of the factory yesterday. 

Thinking about an East preamp. The sweepable mids are a bassist's secret weapon for when the guitarist thinks they've won the cutting through the mix war :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Owen said:

I have one of these in 5 string. I have changed a lot of it, but it is a great way to get on the SR train without getting spendy. 

They don’t require many mods though, this one has the Retrovibe Stinger circuit which is a plus but the original was also good. Still want that mid sweep though……

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beedster said:

They don’t require many mods though, this one has the Retrovibe Stinger circuit which is a plus but the original was also good. Still want that mid sweep though……

They totally do not require any mods. But I put a full Bongo electronics set into mine. Excessive? Moi?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Last week after the release of the new Tony Levin album, I bought this:

SterlingbyMusicManRay4PuebloPink(1).thumb.jpg.d653f60a61664944026ab84a4af5abcc.jpg

I simply wired the pickup in parallel and there's not much more to do.

I opted for this series because of the Jazz Bass type neck as I don't like the typical Stingray one.

Terrific bass for the money.

Edited by Hellzero
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The SUB was easily one of the best value for money instruments ever made!

I've owned two, still have one and I ADORE them.

I wish i had never sold the first one but super lucky to have found my current one for a bargain price.

Solid piece of kit that I cant fault. Hard working and hard-wearing, it's an easy choice for live work.

• Like 4

During my Musicman phase I owned a couple of these and (like another person above) shouldn’t 

have sold them. Actually preferred the sound of the Subs over my other 2 band and 3 band Rays.

Only issue I had was their weight, both being quite chunky ( no body contours ) but that may have

just me being unlucky. Never felt the need to mess with the EQ, the standard set up worked so

well. I didn’t mind the painted neck either. All they needed was a different scratchplate and then were

good to go.
Like all MM stuff, their prices do seem to have rocketed, but still a great buy compared to a

regular US Ray. 

• Like 4

I think it just got even better...... :)

Then                                                                                                                                     

image.thumb.png.3401ba297448ca32bbecb8125dd9ca3c.png

Now

image.thumb.png.9dfbf17ce6e8708f2916df4b0d81c29a.png

Edited by Beedster
  • Like 8

16 hours ago, Hellzero said:

Last week after the release of the new Tony Levin album, I bought this:

SterlingbyMusicManRay4PuebloPink(1).thumb.jpg.d653f60a61664944026ab84a4af5abcc.jpg

I simply wired the pickup in parallel and there's not much more to do.

I opted for this series because of the Jazz Bass type neck as I don't like the typical Stingray one.

Terrific bass for the money.

They don't do the 5 string in this finish, otherwise I would be powerless......

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Beedster said:

I had an sweepable East preamp in my Ray for a while, can’t fault it. And the bonus, for me, was the treble boost switch akin to a Sabre, super useful 👌

I only took out the East due to sentimentality (you know the score mate) when I put the bass back to stock, as I first had it in 1996. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chiliwailer said:

I had an sweepable East preamp in my Ray for a while, can’t fault it. And the bonus, for me, was the treble boost switch akin to a Sabre, super useful 👌

I only took out the East due to sentimentality (you know the score mate) when I put the bass back to stock, as I first had it in 1996. 

Annoyingly not in stock at present 😕

• Sad 1

On 21/09/2024 at 02:37, basshead56 said:

I've owned two, still have one and I ADORE them.

I wish i had never sold the first one

I had a black passive one when they first came out. Got rid because I play finger style, and the edge of the body painfully dug into my arm.

I should have kept it and just buffed the edge to take the sharp corner off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MacDaddy said:

I had a black passive one when they first came out. Got rid because I play finger style, and the edge of the body painfully dug into my arm.

I should have kept it and just buffed the edge to take the sharp corner off.

It's funny because while I remember that as a downside, I don't really notice it on this one, and in fact it appears to have a very slight softening of the upper edge anyway that you can see in the photos. The finish all seems consistent so I'm guessing that's how it left the factory? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Beedster said:

It's funny because while I remember that as a downside, I don't really notice it on this one, and in fact it appears to have a very slight softening of the upper edge anyway that you can see in the photos. The finish all seems consistent so I'm guessing that's how it left the factory? 

Odd, can’t recall having that on the ones I owned back in the day - but it’s a bonus for sure IMO, had to sell my Old Smoothie as the slab body exacerbated nerve pain, was gutted as it sounded amazing. 

Edited by Chiliwailer
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Beedster said:

When I first saw the pic, I thought it had been refinished because of how that forearm "contour" looked, but saw close up it's still the textured finish, and thought it unlikely!

Mine definitely didn't have any kind of rounding there, very much the slab body, not that it ever bothered me.  Only a Ric's binding does that to me...

14 minutes ago, Chiliwailer said:

Odd, can’t recall having that on the ones I owned back in the day - but it’s a bonus for sure IMO, had to sell my Old Smoothie as the slab body exacerbated nerve pain, was gutted as it sounded amazing. 

3 minutes ago, Kev said:

When I first saw the pic, I thought it had been refinished because of how that forearm "contour" looked, but saw close up it's still the textured finish, and thought it unlikely!

Mine definitely didn't have any kind of rounding there, very much the slab body, not that it ever bothered me.  Only a Ric's binding does that to me...

You know what, I'm going to check it's not been contoured and refinished there and that I simply didn't spot it. It's certainly a very good job if so 

4 minutes ago, Beedster said:

You know what, I'm going to check it's not been contoured and refinished there and that I simply didn't spot it. It's certainly a very good job if so 

Sounds like a win-win to me if it has been, though odd it’s still textured…. or maybe someone at the factory was daydreaming with the sander on? 😂