Why become a member? ×

NBD: 2000s EBMM USA SUB

Beedster

14 minutes ago, Chiliwailer said:

Sounds like a win-win to me if it has been, though odd it’s still textured…. or maybe someone at the factory was daydreaming with the sander on? 😂

You'd know much better than I Dan, but wasn't there talk at the time that EBMM were using body blanks that had been rejected for the standard USA models, possible I guess that this started life destined to be a 'Ray but fate intervened?

3 minutes ago, Beedster said:

You'd know much better than I Dan, but wasn't there talk at the time that EBMM were using body blanks that had been rejected for the standard USA models, possible I guess that this started life destined to be a 'Ray but fate intervened?

Not sure Chris, I actually thought these were Basswood , or was it Poplar, bodies, whereas the ‘regular’ ones were ash or alder, could be mistaken though  🤔

Edited by Chiliwailer

Have to say that I'm no expert but to the touch and to the eye this does not appear to have been refinished (there is some slight inconsistency in finish but not at any junction and that's more likely play-wear, it's 20-years old after all), but there is a clear and substantial contour....

image.thumb.png.c9199f863d4bc6006d8ea5d4b1564cc2.png

It's a pretty decently done contour and the finish appears intact. I'm loving this bass more by the minute 👍

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Chiliwailer said:

Yeah, seems to be Poplar. 

I stripped one 18 years ago as it had a custom finish that was a bit excessive. I was anticipating glorious grain, but instead I got almost white poplar. It took stain and oil well, but you can't have grainy where this is no grain. 

BTW, NEVER try to strip a SUB, nothing commercially available touched the finish, I ended up using a chisel IIRC :) 

• Like 1

Mine is definitely slab-bodied. It is an early version according to the serial number and having only “sub” not “sub bass” on the headstock. Not sure if later ones were contoured. Either way, the finish looks stock. Good score.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Beedster said:

I stripped one 18 years ago as it had a custom finish that was a bit excessive. I was anticipating glorious grain, but instead I got almost white poplar. It took stain and oil well, but you can't have grainy where this is no grain. 

BTW, NEVER try to strip a SUB, nothing commercially available touched the finish, I ended up using a chisel IIRC :) 

I knew I had seen a stripped one and suspected it was you Chris. So it is your fault that I own one. 

I bought mine while playing ebay roulette. "There is no chance the seller will accept that offer. Oh. They did.". I sent it off to be resprayed. The guy doing was less than impressed by the finish. I (lamely) offered to strip it, but he said that a lot of his prepping to paint involved mending poor stripping jobs. I did not fight him. Before sending it to him I discovered thag acetate took the rubber off fairly well. During the process I had a tummy tuck and forearm contour done. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Owen said:

I knew I had seen a stripped one and suspected it was you Chris. So it is your fault that I own one. 

I bought mine while playing ebay roulette. "There is no chance the seller will accept that offer. Oh. They did.". I sent it off to be resprayed. The guy doing was less than impressed by the finish. I (lamely) offered to strip it, but he said that a lot of his prepping to paint involved mending poor stripping jobs. I did not fight him. Before sending it to him I discovered thag acetate took the rubber off fairly well. During the process I had a tummy tuck and forearm contour done. 

Ebay roulette is a good way of putting it. and if you do it late evening no matter how drunk the bidder, there's always the chance the same is true of the seller, who might inadvertently accept a stupidly low offer as the result of the booze. I've never done that of course :) 

2 hours ago, Beedster said:

Have to say that I'm no expert but to the touch and to the eye this does not appear to have been refinished (there is some slight inconsistency in finish but not at any junction and that's more likely play-wear, it's 20-years old after all), but there is a clear and substantial contour....

image.thumb.png.c9199f863d4bc6006d8ea5d4b1564cc2.png

It's a pretty decently done contour and the finish appears intact. I'm loving this bass more by the minute 👍

In certain light I think I can see a line where it's be refinished at the edges of the contour, but I take my hat off to whoever did it, great job 👍

Just now, TPJ said:

I have a 5 string USA SUB with the East preamp. Makes it so much more versatile. It's supposedly just like the 2 band eq when the mids are left flat, but for me, the magic is with the sweepable mids. 

Yep, best of both worlds, John East is a magician 👍