Why become a member? ×

Can you take mother of pearl out of a neck and put it into another ?

Bef

I have recently bought a 70s jazz bass off of Facebook marketplace for £150 and the neck is warped so I’m looking at getting another neck to body on the body. The only problem is that despite it not being a high end bass it has big square mother of pearl inlays ? Instead of the normal dots. Im completely in love with it and wondering if it would be possible to somehow transfer it from my the current bass neck into another ? Might be a dumb question but any answers would be appreciated.

For reference it’s an Avon rose morris 3407 jazz bass ( I tried adding a link to a picture but couldn’t figure it out )

Hmmm, I've never done anything like this but I'd have thought there's a few things to consider.....

If you're thinking of buying a neck with block inlays and dropping the old inlays in, will the inlays be the same shape and depth as the holes? It might take some sanding/filling to work, but I think sanding the inlays, while not damaging the fretboard, if they were too tall would be a tough job.

How bad is the neck? It might be easier to remove the whole fretboard and put that on a new neck? 

Tbh, I have no idea though. The folks in the repair forum would be the most helpful 😃 

1 hour ago, Jonesy said:

Hmmm, I've never done anything like this but I'd have thought there's a few things to consider.....

If you're thinking of buying a neck with block inlays and dropping the old inlays in, will the inlays be the same shape and depth as the holes? It might take some sanding/filling to work, but I think sanding the inlays, while not damaging the fretboard, if they were too tall would be a tough job.

How bad is the neck? It might be easier to remove the whole fretboard and put that on a new neck? 

Tbh, I have no idea though. The folks in the repair forum would be the most helpful 😃 

Thank you for the reply, 

I don’t actually know how bad it is as it’s my first bass but there’s basically no space between the fretboards and strings at the top and very far off at the last frets so I can only assume it’s quite bad. 

I think I’ll probably just buy a new neck and put it on and hang the old neck on my wall as I don’t want to risk breaking or damaging anything. It was a passing though so but there was nothing online about it ( which prob isn’t the best sign) so I just thought to ask on here. 

Thanks 😁

1 hour ago, Bef said:

I don’t actually know how bad it is as it’s my first bass but there’s basically no space between the fretboards and strings at the top and very far off at the last frets so I can only assume it’s quite bad. 

That sounds like it needs the relief either reducing or increasing (I'm not sure which way round you're using "top" and "last frets"), and possibly shimming.

If the strings are close to the frets at the headstock end but far off at the body end, there's either too much relief in the neck or the neck is tilted forwards.

If the strings are close to the frets at the body end but far off at the headstock end, there's either too little relief in the neck (possibly a backbow) or the neck is tilted back.

Either take it to someone who knows what they're doing to see if it can be set up, or learn to do setups yourself (it's not hard).

And you can just paste the URL of the image into your post, as long as it starts "https://" and ends ".jpg", ".png", or ".gif"