Why become a member? ×

Buyers beware

Rayman

Just a note of caution, and I think I’ve done a similar thread before…..

Basically, when you buy used stuff, guitars, amps whatever…. never trust anyone . Check the item over, take your time, make sure it works, plug it in and try it, and just be sure that it is as advertised.

I Say this, because a couple of months ago I bought an Ashdown ABM 500 head. I specifically asked the seller to test it and be sure that it was all good. I picked it up, he was a lovely chap, we talked about gear, life etc…. and I totally trusted him to be genuine. More fool me, because he was a lying t@#t. It was knackered I was told yesterday by Ashdown, who were just servicing it for me. Thankfully Dave Green worked his magic, and it’s now as good as new, after many new parts and some added expense. 

It’s the third item I’ve bought recently, where I discovered down the line that it was not as described by the seller. Often, people sell stuff, not because they’re just moving it on, but because there’s something wrong with it, and they’re going to hide that issue from you.

My point, don’t trust anyone. At all. Thankfully BC has been a pretty safe place for buying and selling, as most (not all it must be said) of us are good people.

Just be careful, that’s all.

• Like 6

I must admit my preference in selling is people collect so I can demonstrate the item is working, likewise with buying I prefer a demo if at all possible. I’m not fussed with driving a few hours, makes for a day out and peace of mind.

• Like 12

18 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I must admit my preference in selling is people collect so I can demonstrate the item is working, likewise with buying I prefer a demo if at all possible. I’m not fussed with driving a few hours, makes for a day out and peace of mind.

Absolutely 

8 hours ago, Supernaut said:

Isn't this called common sense? 

The problems is we’re all very trusting as BC is a community. You trust in the community but individuals can still let you down.

Happened to me, too.

I’m now all about meeting up where possible to avoid this.

I did buy an amp here that didn’t work for me. The seller accepted my reasons, allowed me to return the all and we had an adult conversation to sort out details. It’s how things should be. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rayman said:

Just a note of caution, and I think I’ve done a similar thread before…..

Basically, when you buy used stuff, guitars, amps whatever…. never trust anyone . Check the item over, take your time, make sure it works, plug it in and try it, and just be sure that it is as advertised.

I Say this, because a couple of months ago I bought an Ashdown ABM 500 head. I specifically asked the seller to test it and be sure that it was all good. I picked it up, he was a lovely chap, we talked about gear, life etc…. and I totally trusted him to be genuine. More fool me, because he was a lying t@#t. It was knackered I was told yesterday by Ashdown, who were just servicing it for me. Thankfully Dave Green worked his magic, and it’s now as good as new, after many new parts and some added expense. 

It’s the third item I’ve bought recently, where I discovered down the line that it was not as described by the seller. Often, people sell stuff, not because they’re just moving it on, but because there’s something wrong with it, and they’re going to hide that issue from you.

My point, don’t trust anyone. At all. Thankfully BC has been a pretty safe place for buying and selling, as most (not all it must be said) of us are good people.

Just be careful, that’s all.

There's a bit to unpack here. You picked it up, yet didn't test it?

If you collected it, why didn't you take it back?

Why wasn't the seller approached to contribute/cover the repair cost?

Is the seller from BC?

'never trust anyone'? You're seriously sticking with that?

• Like 6

I trust everyone but expect to be disappointed occasionally. Re the OP, and as happened to me, the fact that an amp is apparently knackered is not proof of or even an indication that the seller was dishonest or even aware of the problem. I’ve seen a trend in almost 20-years of selling here towards the buyer expecting immaculate condition and Amazon delivery/return speeds and terms. We’re mostly* musicians with busy lives moving on gear we no longer use and not looking to make a profit in doing so. We could all be a bit more understanding of this at times.

* There are exceptions sadly

• Like 9

17 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I prefer this now. Once picked up a bass in a train station but then found it had a broken truss rod. Seller didn’t care and had flipped the bass I used as part trade.

• Sad 1

To play devil's advocate, and this doesn't seem to be the case with this particular experience, but I have bought things from trusted people where there ends up being an issue with the item totally unknown to the seller, so long as everyone is on the same page about coming to a positive resolve, then no worries.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I picked up a bass from a service station , met halfway with a BC seller, I never forget when he put it on the table in eating foyer and opened the case, with a sparkly shiny bass. This was followed by exchanging it for cash. It was like a script from a movie. I still find this funny.

My only disappointment is with some couriers who caused damage and some sellers not cleaning the items before sending it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, binky_bass said:

To play devil's advocate, and this doesn't seem to be the case with this particular experience, but I have bought things from trusted people where there ends up being an issue with the item totally unknown to the seller, so long as everyone is on the same page about coming to a positive resolve, then no worries.

Having accidentally (honestly!) sold a combo recently with a non-functioning tweeter I didn't have any problem about buying a replacement for the buyer.  Like you say, its about sorting it and everyone ending up happy with the outcome.  

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Suburban Man said:

Having accidentally (honestly!) sold a combo recently with a non-functioning tweeter I didn't have any problem about buying a replacement for the buyer.  Like you say, its about sorting it and everyone ending up happy with the outcome.  

Or challenging them to a gladiator style pugil stick fight. That's always an option.

• Haha 3

It's not always malicious - one time I sold a bass on here and I didn't notice that there was a crack/possible fretboard delamination at the nut end.

I was gutted because I'm usually so careful. Sorted it out though - offered to either take it back for full refund or some money off and buyer keeps it - negotiated the latter.

• Like 1

I can't count the number of items I've bought here and on FB and eBay.

Only twice have I come home with a piece of absolute crap. Both times my fault. First time for believing the seller and the second for not having the balls to pull out if the deal and demand my money back. 

And once I sold a perfectly good, working bit of gear in great condition and ended up having to buy it back because it was apparently not working. It works perfectly and always did.

Why do I remember these three so clearly? Because they are exceptional.

I'll go on trusting people.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, binky_bass said:

I once sold a pedal, met the guy in a lay-by to do the deal, and a few hours later he messaged me to say it wasn't working. It was only £20 and he said he would like his money back and he would throw the pedal in the bin. Absolutely not - If I'm giving the money back, I want my stuff back. I had no idea there was an issue - there wasn't when I was using it. I drove out to his and picked up the pedal and gave him his £20. We talked for a couple of hours about gear and music etc, he was a decent fella. I took the pedal to a local tech and he immediately found that some of the plastic sheath on one of the tiny wires inside had gotten pinched, and the wire was shorting on another component. A bit of electrical tape solved the problem and it was as good as new.

I had no issue with the buyers experience, and I had no idea there was an issue with the pedal - stuff like this happens sometimes. A couple of years ago when selling an amp, it blew up as I was demonstrating the amp to the buyer. These things happen sometimes, and, if we're honest, they're much more likely to happen with used gear of unknown provenance.

The systems that we operate on as a society are largely built on trust. For the most part, we all engage in these systems in the way they're intended, but there are people who will take advantage. It's never wrong to satisfy yourself that everything is above board, and if you have any doubts whatsoever, it's probably best not to go any further. There is as good as no protection for buyers in second hand markets, and it's your cash at stake.

In the OPs case, it sounds like the seller might simply not have been aware of any issues, and I think that's reasonable when talking about an amp, particularly if we're talking about a hobbyist and not a professional musician. The fact that amps are high-powered electrical devices means that somebody isn't likely to take the cover off and go poking around for any reason (and nor should they unless they have all the necessary skills/experience and equipment, and it seems like it wasn't immediately apparent from how the amp sounded that there was an issue as you only knew of this after it was serviced by a technician. Who knows how long the amp was in this state for, and how long the previous owner had it - perhaps he bought it in that condition too, and, none the wiser, didn't see anything wrong with it, just like you didn't.

I can completely understand your frustration, and you are quite right in saying that it's important to do all the necessary checks before parting with cash, but unless there's more to the story you haven't told us, I'm not satisfied your characterisation of the seller is completely fair.

• Like 3