Why become a member? ×

From other instruments to double bass

hpc364

On 07/10/2024 at 22:54, NickA said:

Tonight I played En Saga by Sibelius.  Bars and bars and bars ...and bars of the same repeated note ( often F on the E string)  I can only play it by clamping my hand around the neck and/or reinforcing my index finger with another on top of it.  Technique be damned, sometimes it's just survival.

...and some music is better heard than played.  Shan't be sorry if we don't do this one again.

Sounds like there might be a market for a double bass capo after all 👍

3 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

I did a gig yesterday and someone came up to the singer and started telling her where she was going wrong. It was quite upsetting for her and I’d not want to make anyone else feel that way.

That's really bad. What's wrong with some people that makes them think this in any way appropriate? At the end of the day, your singer has the gig, she's getting up there and performing, and anybody who doesn't like her singing can go and play their own gigs. I hope she's ok.

4 minutes ago, tinyd said:

That's really bad. What's wrong with some people that makes them think this in any way appropriate? At the end of the day, your singer has the gig, she's getting up there and performing, and anybody who doesn't like her singing can go and play their own gigs. I hope she's ok.

He was a drummer and wanted to “share his knowledge and experiences”, apparently. 

Just now, Burns-bass said:

He was a drummer and wanted to “share his knowledge and experiences”, apparently. 

Rude/stupid/offensive things other 'musicians' have said about a band's performance to one or more members of that band is a whole new thread and I imagine a very long one :(

21 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

In my experience, people who have something to say that's worth hearing generally don't offer their "wisdom" unsolicited like this....

21 minutes ago, NickA said:

My thoughts too.  I wondered about using cable ties, but getting them in place during a 5 bar rest would have been tough.

I have the sense that entirely pragmatic solutions might be frowned upon in orchestral circles? 

• Haha 1