Why become a member? ×

Milestone basses you've owned

odysseus

Like a lot of you folk on here, I have owned quite a few basses over the years - probably 30 or so.  What was your trajectory of increasingly good basses - ones that stood out along the way and surpassed your previous instruments in some way.

First bass I owned - a metallic pink Charvel that I thought was great... until I played something else.

1st milestone bass (second bass purchase) - Ibanez Roadster that I played in a mate's music shop and subsequently traded the Charvel in for.  Way more playable and gigged it for 3 or 4 years, and bought another off Ebay as a back up. Better sound, better action, active etc.

2nd milestone bass (probs 8th purchase) Musicman Stingray HH - probably my first 'quality' bass bought off Ebay - that funky sound, the solid neck, 5 way selector, and it was black. Lovely! Had it for about 12 years before selling.

3rd milestone bass (probs 15th or 16th?) - Status Stealth I got off the local FB music page. Fantastically playable, great action, very light, easy to learn to slap on. And one singer particularly liked the fretboard lights switched on... which I could have done without TBH... always felt a bit of a tw@t with those on.  Still got that bass though!

4th  milestone bass (last purchase) was a second hand  Mayones Jabba 4 that I got off Bass Direct 3 years ago. Absolute beast of a bass - like a Fender Jazz but better, with active/passive options - difficult to explain how, but I wanted one for ages and I just clicked with it as soon as it arrived. Not selling that one ever! 

I've had plenty of Squiers, Fender Modern Player jazz, Fender USA jazz, Yamahas, Ibanez, a Dingwall 5er, A status 5er etc. in between, but these were the notables.

Anyone else? 🙃

The first would have been my first bass, a Hayman 40/40 that I put together from parts. The next was a somewhat tatty Fender Precision - the cheapest one in Musical Exchange but also the best feeling neck. It was a milestone because it was a Fender and that's what you aspired to. The next was a Warwick JD Thumb - absolutely wonderful neck, I had to have it despite the astronomical cost.

There was then a hiatus of about 20 years, and I fancied a 5 string. Tried various ones without finding one that was the equivalent of the Thumb in playability, until I happened across an eBay auction for an Antoniotsai (there were always a few back then) and thought I'd chance it, and it really was a lovely bass to play.

The one subsequent milestone was my first Sei, a headless fretless 5. Since then, other basses have matched what came before but nothing has been a real milestone, and I'm not sure that there could be another one.

• Like 1

When I got a Fender P bass that was a step up on the Epiphone and Jim Deacon I’d had before it. 

Then I was gifted a music man SR4 that was a real step up in value and build quality.

Probably peaked when I had an Overwater J5 and a Warwick Thumb NT5.

Both gone due to finances but hoping to one day add a vintage Fender and a Ken Smith 5 which for me are as good as it gets.

• Like 2

*Edited to add photos*

First proper bass I owned was a Hohner 'The Jack' headless back when I started to identify as a bassist rather than guitarist. At the time I was a bit self conscious that regular basses (i.e. long scale with large headstocks) looked a bit silly hung around my 5'7" frame, so headless made sense to me. I soon overcame that and a couple of headed basses came and went. I sold the Hohner during a lull in my playing career but recently purchased a different one from this parish which has recently seen a lot of action in the build up to a couple of gigs I'll be playing in the next few months.

Scan088-1.thumb.jpg.94062306909c048af9b4abb9df0f2dad.jpg

The next milestone bass was another headless, my Spirit XZ2. Milestone because it's been with me the longest and will probably be the last bass to go should I have to sell up. It has a drop D bridge and I've fitted a GK3B pickup to drive a Rioland V Bass. Its played or been sat as a back up for probably half the gigs I've played.

DCSF0042.jpg.83029b15e0411dabb7f870f29d93c281.jpg

Next milestone was my Sterling Stingray 34HH. Still the most expensive instrument I've owned (even with the discount my mate got for being in the trade). One of my influences is Tony Levin and that got me interested in the Stingray. It has a range of tones on tap and for the main band I play in that's ideal as the repertoire of songs is many and varied. It's heavy

DSCG0955.thumb.jpg.0a26165c01a12804ca2b91848df9a862.jpg

The last one (for now) is my Fender Player Precision. Simply because it was the first Precision style bass I'd played and I was immediately smitten by the sound and the way it fits in with any band I've played with. I was a Precision sceptic until I was persuaded to try one.

Precision.thumb.jpg.86090f2be1303a6c49a6406e4369d9bb.jpg

Edited by Franticsmurf
  • Like 3

I suppose the below are my milestones:

First bass - a Kay EB-O type short scale bass. Not the best instrument but the one I learned to play on.

Second bass - my first decent instrument, a Yamaha BB1100s. It took me through my first proper band, first recording sessions, first video, first UK tour. I wish I still had it.

First Fender Precision - a Mexican one, when I bought it I found the sound completely underwhelming, until I played it in my band, suddenly the sound I’d yearned for for years was there in my hands.

First US made Fender Precision - it just took things to the next level, and I’ve been hooked ever since, for me the US Fender Precision is THE bass!

Fender JMJ Mustang - increasing back issues made me go short scale, I thought I might resent them due to having to put the Precisions aside but to my amazement I love short scale, as well as being better on the back they’re more practical to cart about and sound great as well. I started on short scale in 1980, forty plus years later I’m back there & loving it. 

• Like 2

First good bass was a MIJ Westone Spectrum which was also my first gigging bass back in 1987-1990. I’d be curious to play it again and see how it stands up to the other basses since. 

A couple of basses later came my 1970 sunburst Precision which I still have. That was my first really good bass. 

A Peerless-built Epiphone Jack Casady was my first and only hollow-bodied bass which I bought to scratch an itch in 2016 or so and sold a few years later. 

And my recently-sold MIJ Fender mustang was my first and so far only short scale bass. 

I’d happily take back that Westone, the Epiphone and the Mustang, tho saying that I haven’t missed any of them enough to replace.

Update - the running total I think is that I’ve owned 31 basses over 38 years of playing. 

Edited by bassbiscuits
  • Like 1

1) My first own bass was a 4001. That was also the test bed for different string gauges.

2) A modified Status copy by Washburn was the one which I actually played several hours a day for years, and learned to play something.

3) A Modulus Quantum 5 SPi Custom was the substitute to a Vigier, because that red Passion 5-string was sold when I had saved the money. MG had a super sound, but the string width was too tight. I played it quite a lot, and learned to play a 5, but the bass never became mine.

4) After many years I found a Passion II 4-string and an MG Genesis 5. Both feel like they came from another planet. No need to change anything else than strings.

Of course there has been trials. Fender (Sadowsky, Pensa, Lakland, BassStar, Maruscxyz#%#, you name it) has never felt fine. Alembic has that certain vibe in its name, but every instrument has been very tough to play, and far too heavy. Ken Smith, Zon, Wal, Music Man, Steinberger, Kramer/Spector/Warwick... good sounds, but no match.

I have always been to light weight and light strings. Therefore double bass has been one complicated instrument. I have never learned to use a bow, and my playing style isn't by the book. But I love the sound, whenever I have the opportunity to use one on stage. It requires very different plucking technique, and the strings feel massive and slow under my fingers. Good for ballads, but any uptempo jazz, and I'm lost.

• Like 1

First bass in 1985 - Squier P in Sunburst bought from Paul Garvey Music in Newcastle- It was either that or a Westone - I’m always a bit of a brand snob and the Squier had ‘by Fender’ on it. Anyway it sounded ok but I remember the BBOT bridge rusting after a while. That was followed by various things including a couple of headless active things.

2. Fast forward to 1992/3 and I was in the Midlands. Cue a trip to the Bass Centre - I left with a magnificent Warwick Corvette 5 String in Bubinga with wenge neck (later enhanced with Overwater active circuitry) Definitely a Milestone which was with me for a few special gigs including one at Newcastle Arena at the millennium.

3. Turned 50 and was gifted a Fender Jazz Elite 4 in white which is my current go-to. Does everything and is so playable.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Franticsmurf said:

First proper bass I owned was a Hohner 'The Jack' headless back when I started to identify as a bassist rather than guitarist. At the time I was a bit self conscious that regular basses (i.e. long scale with large headstocks) looked a bit silly hung around my 5'7" frame, so headless made sense to me.

When I was 13, I want to play bass, but I got pushed into guitar. As a teenager, I only ever played bass on borrowed instruments, and I can remember nothing about them, except that they were hard work. Tuners so far away, action so high.

When I was 18, a Hohner The Jack landed in my lap (where on earth were all these basses coming from? did their owners not mind me pinching them for months on end?) and it was a milestone for me too: at last I felt that a bass could be as comfortable to play as my Westone guitar. I get sorely tempted every time one comes up for sale here!

• Like 2

Nothing too fancy.

#1 yamaha bbg4s - first decent bass I got as a Christmas pressie when I was 15. Modded it then sold it but I did end up buying another one in the same colour a few years ago for a bit of nostalgia

#2 fender aerodyne jazz in candy apple Red. Bought the mid 20s and played it for 12 years almost entirely exclusively. I uses this during my best "originals" period of my life appearing on almost all my bands recordings. Sold it which i do regret.

#3 yamaha bb734... bought this a few years ago and love it. Hopefully I have no reason to change and it is my automatic go to for everything. 

I've had many many other basses but I think these are the ones that will always come to mind when I think back!

Edited by Elfrasho
  • Like 1

First bass - Squier Affinty Precison,

your standard starter bass in 2002

2nd bass and first 5 string - Ibanez K5, 18th birthday present in 2003

First (and only) bass with custom options - Mayones Be4, bought under endorsement when I was in a metal band, something like 2008

After that, nothing else really jumps out as a milestone until

(Almost) new American made Stingray 5 Special, in 2024 - about a month ago, partly for my 40th next year. The best quality instrument I've ever owned and right now I can't imagine liking anything else more

When I was a youngster I had a Hohner B Bass V, which was essentially a Jack but with a head, five strings and a JJ active configuration.  It was a milestone for me because that was the bass that made me realise that bass playing wasn't an easy job and that if I wanted to get better at it I'd have to work hard and actually learn my craft; so...  I sold it and moved to rhythm guitar instead.

Fast forward to 2022 and I sacked the guitar off, bought a Player P and am loving it.  For me, those two are my milestones - neither posh, vintage, sought after or particularly special, but they're the ones that stick in my mind when I think about the countless instruments I've owned.

Edited by Jackroadkill
  • Like 2

1. Burns Sonic Bass. The first bass I ever owned, bought in 1981, and the one I used in my first two bands including the recordings that got CBS records interested in signing the second band I was in.

2. Overwater Original 5-string Bass. The 4th bass I bought (in the early 90s) and the one that took over as my main bass from the Burns until...

3. Gus G3 5-string Bass. Bought in 2002 and has been my main bass ever since for all bands that need "conventional" bass guitar parts, apart form a brief stint when I was mostly playing fretless bass and another when I was using a Warwick Star bass for image reasons. I currently own two - one in black, with humbuckers and passive electronics and one in red with single coil pickups and active electronics. Unless I was being paid a lot of money to be in a band that demanded I use a particular bass for image reasons I couldn't see myself ever needing to buy another bass to do typical bass guitar parts.

4. Eastwood Hooky 6-string Bass. Bought in 2021 and the culmination of several years of searching for a suitable Bass VI to use in one of my bands where it is required in order to be able to play both "bass" and "guitar" parts. Playing and sound-wise it is perfect but, if I had the funds this would be replaced immediately with a Gus made with the same string spacing and scale length as the Eastwood.

• Like 1

Two major milestone basses for me...

My 2nd bass was a 1979 Black/Maple Ibanez Roadster. Definitely my 1st 'proper' bass, one I sold 4 times but always bought back. The last time I bought it back I vowed to keep it, and have managed to keep the promise to myself so far! That's milestone bass #1.

Milestone bass #2 (and its a big one both literally and figuratively) is Binky my beautiful 10 string beast. I had him made during my Uni days, I'd never even owned a 5 string, I went straight from a 4 string to a 10 string bass! I ridiculous step-up, but one I do not regret. I will be buried with Binky. 

If I had to put a number on it, I'd say I've owned north of 2000 basses/guitars over the years (currently there's 40 odd around the house/studio!) and those two, for different reasons are my main 'milestone' basses I think. 

• Like 2

way back in the late 80s I was playing a JayDee Mark King bass. Didn't really have a clue what I had and would love to try it now.

But my first P Bass was the milestone bass for me. I realised in about 1988 that was the sound I needed.

Several P basses later and they are still the sound I love the best, even though I mostly play a JMJ Mustang.

I did have an epic Steinberger XL2 for a bit. Again, a bit of a game changer back in the day and a very impressive bit of kit

I guess my milestone basses (as in personal milestones) would be:

1. Columbus Jazz - the bass that started me on this whole journey.

2. First Fender Precision (#S749320) - I've said before how I spent an entire month's salary on this bass and had to walk to and from work for the rest of the month. A Precision is what I always wanted and this was my first.

3. My current #1 bass - 1966 Precision - it was the best Precision I'd ever played when I saw it in Tiger Music (in Brighton), and it still is (getting on for 40 years later). I've owned and played a vast number over the years, but this is head and shoulders above all of them. It killed off my pre-CBS snobbery at a stroke and opened the exit door for all the old basses I had then.

• Like 4

First bass, aged 15: Tanglewood Nevada, a p bass copy in sunburst. So glad I went for an actual lefty bass instead of getting a right hander and holding it upside down.

Second bass: listening to Pearl Jam really opened up my ears to fretless in a rock scenario. I got a fiver string fretless for my 18th, a Kramer Striker, and I still have it to this day, and it gets at least one gig per year. It was a toss up between this and a Steinberger Spirit "cricket bat". Again, I think I made the right choice. If I got a call to play on a recording this bass would come with me. I know it better than any other.

First high quality bass: Warwick Streamer LX. This actually knocked my confidence because it just didn't really come alive for me. But, I played a mexican jazz in a shop and that did so I learned that it's not just about how much you spend. 

Best high quality bass: Musician Stingray (US made, three band EQ) bought late 2018 to celebrate a decent tax rebate and a new job. It's still my "number 1" for playing live though I rotate it with others. The punchy attack and high end sizzle just lend themselves to most of what I have done in bands since I bought it. It also reacts very well to being played with a pick.

There's been many others: a cheap six string, a Washburn Status, a Hohner headless cricket bat, an Aria Pro SB, Fender jazzes, a precision or two, a Harley Benton jazz, Epiphone Jack Casady... Some still with me, some not. They're great to have and to use, but they're not the ones I'd save from a burning building.

• Like 1

I've owned 3 milestone basses.

The bass that started me off and on which I learnt the most, a Framus Star bass.

My first "pro" bass, a Fender Precision. I knew I'd "made it" when I played my first gig with this bass.

My first 5 string bass, an MM SR5. Made the transition from 4 to 5 very easy.

I've owned far better basses than these 3, but I learnt 99% of what I know on these guys.

• Like 1

I've had a few that were important to me. One that changed the course of my life. And another one I'd like to track down and get back. 

My first bass was an "Axe" Precision copy that I got in 1991. It was not a good instrument. :D I upgraded it with some Seymour Duncan pickups (the ones that had the little white EQ switches actually built into the pickup) but, eventually realised you can't polish a turd, and sold it to the local music shop and got something better. I actually came across it again some years later, and, blimey, it was horrible. :D So, it was important in as much as it was my first bass, but, facing facts, it was a piece of 💩.

The first really significant one is a Spector NS5-CRFM that I bought in 2005, because the act of buying that bass took my life in a totally different direction. I'd been looking for a nice Spector for a while, and I found this one online, but it was in the US and the person selling it wouldn't ship internationally. Luckily, I had a holiday to the US booked, so I thought I'd ask this girl I knew a little bit from some online interactions (who was at uni in the next town over from where I was going to stay on my trip) if I could get it delivered to her, and then pick it up while I was over. She said yes.

And we've been married 18 years and have three kids who wouldn't exist if it wasn't for that bass. And I still have it - it's a family heirloom now! 

The one that got away was a bass I had made by Chris McIntyre, back when he was working at The Gallery in London, This would have been back in about 1996. It wasn't a proper Sei - that came later. :) I bought a through-neck body from Brandoni, and got Chris to basically transform it into something entirely different - different body shape, longer neck (ie, it went from having 22 frets to 26), different headstock, Kahler trem, everything. I loved that bass on a very fundamental level. Playing it got me through some very difficult times in the late 90s (suffice to say a whole lot of things fell apart in a very short space of time), and it's probably not an exaggeration to say that I might not be here today but for that bass.

I foolishly sold it to the Notting Hill Music Exchange in 2001 because I needed the money. I've been looking out for it sporadically for the last 23 years. I have lots of other nice basses now (two lovely custom Maruszczyks, my wonderful Sei, a MM Bongo, the aforementioned Spector and a few others) but I'd love to get that one back again. It'd be like coming full circle. This was it: 

blackbird_bass_1.jpg.9758618303658eed5b517ea0e41cfe58.jpg