Why become a member? ×

5 string recommendations........

Freddi375

Hi guys,

Has anyone had experience of playing a Stingray Special 5, Sandberg TM5 and Sire V5 5 string?

I'm looking to switch from 4 to 5 string permanently.

Particularly interested in the neck as need something comfortable for my smaller hands.

I currently play a Fender Jazz 4 string, but dont like the Fender Jazz 5 necks I have tried.

Any help, opinions appreciated 🙏 

Cheers

Freddie

Edited by Freddi375

I’ve owned 5 string Sandbergs and Stingrays.

I found the ray a lot more comfortable. It’s only 0.5mm narrower at the nut, but the neck shape itself was a lot better for me. The ‘berg seemed to have annoying shoulders on the neck shape.

The ray also has 17.5mm spacing at the bridge which is a fair bit narrower. So the neck stays a bit narrower all the way.  Some people find that a bit tight, but I like it.

I’d have another 5 string ‘Ray, but I wouldn’t have another Sandberg 5. I should point out I really like Sandberg 4 strings.

Edited by fretmeister
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Freddi375 said:

Particularly interested in the neck as need something comfortable for my smaller hands.

If not stuck on FSOs, look at Ibanez SRs, of which there are dozens of models new and S/H.

Or Cort. Cort also have the GB Series, and the Elricks if you are in the FSO-ish category and the A, B and C series; if you like the more modern.

I've owned many SRs and still own 7. The necks are smallish and fairly consistent in feel between all the SR models (Atlas variants are a bit chunkier) and have a large variety of pickup configs depending upon the years. If you can, try some, even so you know if you like the ergonomics of the neck, and the much smaller bodies, compared to FSOs.

I have 2 Corts, A6 and A5 Ultra Ash, and they're both great, even though they have larger necks than the SRs. But not hugely.

21 hours ago, Freddi375 said:

Hi guys,

Has anyone had experience of playing a Stingray Special 5, Sandberg TM5 and Sire V5 5 string?

I'm looking to switch from 4 to 5 string permanently.

I currently play a Fender Jazz 4 string, but dont like the Fender Jazz 5 necks I have tried.

Any help, opinions appreciated 🙏 

Cheers

Freddie

Can I just quickly ask, what's the main reason you're looking to switch to 5 string?

I've got a Ray 5 Special, a Sandberg Cali Central 5, and used to have a Fender USA Pro Jazz 5. I don't have particularly small hands, but still found the Fender neck dimensions quite uncomfortable which is why I moved it on. The Sandberg is 35" scale so that changes the feel somewhat, but it's a slimmer nut and still a lot more comfortable than the Fender... though the way they do their fret ends doesn't really hit the spot for me. The Stingray sounds great (though the preamp does faintly pick up Radio 1) and the neck is very comfy, but it needs waxing every so often to keep the factory fresh feel. I've never played a Sire, and although I keep considering one (the P5R-5 specifically) I keep coming back to the fact that the neck dimensions look - on paper at least - to be quite Fender-inspired, and I know I'm not a fan of that. Of the basses you've shortlisted I'd go with the Stingray.

I do own and like Ibanez SR 5s as suggested above, but I'd try one (including on a strap, not just sitting down) before investing, as they're overall a rather different proposition to handle if you're coming from a Fender Jazz.

I have an SRay 5 HH and it’s an easy bass to play. As has been said, it’s 17.5mm and it’s 34”. Many 5ers are 35”. Don’t underestimate the impact of that on your hands.

I’ve had a few Iby SRs, they are lightweight and mostly 16.5mm and 34”. They are a level easier on the hands than the SRay IMO.

As an aside, I went to 5s. Now for anyone looking to do that I would say consider 6. 4 to 5 I found difficult. 5 to 6 seemed straight forward in comparison. I now play 6 with a 30.5” scale.

Good Luck

Stingray 5 Special has a great neck profile and dimensions but unless there are specific features you want that the Special has, any StingRay 5 is easy to get round. Only issue is that the G is close to the edge of the board and may need a bit of adaptation in technique to stop pushing the string off the edge of the fret. 

I only ever had one Sandberg 5, a VS5 and I thought it was a really good feeling/playing bass. The plek'd neck allowed for a silly low action.

Cort NJS-5 Elrick is 35" scale and has a slightly bigger profile at the first few frets than I generally go for but I genuinely love mine. So much to like about that bass and I gig mine regularly over instruments costing three times as much. 

I had a Sire V5-24 and while I liked the neck profile, I couldn't get the action quite as low as I wanted and the roasted neck was way too dark. 

The neck I am really enjoying playing at the moment is my Lakland 55-02. Again plek'd neck and crazy low action. Bigger neck than any of those above but supremely playable.

I've come to realise that I don't mind a bigger neck profile if the action can be made low. And also that if push came to shove and I could only afford one 5 string I'd pick a Stingray 5 every time 🙂

Edited by dub_junkie

I would consider the Sire Z7-5 as well. The neck is superb, a few companies do the rolled-edge fingerboard thing, but these are above the norm.

It definitely has the Stingray vibe, and more. Mine is also pretty light for a 5 string at 9.0 lbs. 

My buddy has a passive HH Fender Dimension and it has a lovely neck which has a slightly symmetrical profile. Sound wise it’s not quite a stingray but unique enough to not be Fender either. The only problem is the prices they are going for. He bought his used for £650 a few yrs back. 

Ive played all 3, own 2 Stingray5s and have owned a Sire V3 5er (same neck profile as the V5/V7 5ers). The neck in the Sandberg is the thickest of them 3, and I particularly hate big pole Dead-lano pickups so for me the Sandberg is the worst option. The Stingray5 neck is a super comfortable slim C (20mm@fret 1). The Sires' profile is fine but not as thin and the nut is a little wider.

Now, if you're planning on going 5 string Jazz, the best one I've owned (and still own) is the MarkBass Gloxy Val GV5. Blows any Jazz 5er I've ever played out of the water. Neck is a SKINNY sharp C (thinner than Sires) and the sound is AWESOME, way more barking/growly than any Sire or Sandberg, those MarkBass pickups are amazing and the preamp, even tho' its mids are not semiparametic (as in Sires), is way superior. I've got my GV5 for 450€ used in like nwe condition, totally unbeatable.

Only bad thing I can say about it is knobs are PLACED WRONG if you want to play with a pick (which I often do), they're too close to the strings. I've taken care of that in mine (invasively). Other than that it's the best 5 string Jazz I've owned and/or played. Gives so many (i.e. "expensive" Metro Expresses), a run for their money.

modded_front1.jpg

modded_front3.jpg

Edited by andruca

I have a Sandberg TM5 and a pre-Special Stingray 5. The Sandberg is lightweight and has a wide variety of decent tones, and is superbly playable thanks to the Plek setup. The neck feels great, with a wide and shallow profile and a flattish fingerboard. 

The Stingray is heavier and bulkier feeling (although this will be less apparent with a Special) but the neck is slimmer, albeit deeper and rounder in profile than the Sandberg. I sometimes find difficult parts easier to play on it. It sounds fantastic of course, although it’s not as versatile as the Sandberg being a single pickup model. The B string is slightly better, sounding richer and closer to the tone of the other strings right up the neck. 

I like them both but tend to take the Sandberg out for gigs due to the wider tonal options and better ergonomics.