Why become a member? ×

Blu De Tiger. This girl is going to go far.

Mickyk

I don't think she's a brilliant player. She's a reasonably competent player at an intermediate level. Marcus Miller she ain't.

She is, however, a marketable player. If she looked like Olive from On The Busses (I'm showing my age) we would never have heard of her and she wouldn't have a signature bass from Fender. 

Edited by Misdee
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Does Carole Kaye have her own signature model bass..? :/

No she doesn't, and neither does Gail Ann Dorsey, for that matter.

Don't get me wrong, Blue is okay but purely in terms of her bass playing I really don't hear anything extraordinary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

So you have to be a virtuoso to have a signature bass, like Adam Clayton, Gene Simmons or Nikki Sixx?

No, but they are famous for being in bands with a decades-long track record of worldwide success. Their record sales reflect that. You are quite right to point out that none of them are/ were Innovators or virtuoso players. Whatever their signature models celebrate, it isn't that. 

I only mentioned her playing skills because the OP said she was a brilliant player. Objectively, she isn't, but if the  OP or anyone else enjoys what she does or finds it inspiring then great, that's enough for me.

This woman is internet-famous comparatively recently. That's an entirely different phenomenon. Like I said, don't get me wrong, I don't disapprove of her having a signature model, I just don't think it's because of her bass playing being exceptional. That's not unique, though. 

The fact remains though, that if she weren't a glamorous looking girl, we wouldn't have heard of her in all likelihood. That's just the way of the world, I suppose.

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Fender Custom Shop - or the team that became FCS - did a very short run a long time back. Lovely thing 👍

Just out of interest, what was it like, because I can't find any reference whatsoever on the internet? Presumably a P Bass. 

I'll never understand the idea that there is any other criteria, let alone some weird idea of 'worthiness', than 'can we sell this by attaching this person's name to it'

Recently internet famous or not, if Fender think they can flog enough of it to her fanbase to make it worth their while, and attract non fans with a fairly unique pickup config and finish amongst the current fender range, why wouldn't they?

Edit: In case it's not clear I'm not against this, or any signature bass for that matter. I think it's great if any bass player is popular and influential enough that companies like Fender want to work with them, especially if they're attracting a demographic that previously wouldn't have considered picking up a bass.  And I really like the tweaks she's come up with for her sig.

Edited by Ruiner
  • Like 2

A lot of being successful is turning up on time, doing the job and not being an annoying idiot. 

Get that right and you’ll do fine. This applies as much to bass as anything else.

Music producers don’t care much about looks but they do about talent. Perhaps she has great creative ideas, is fun to be around, nails things in one take and gets a great bass sound. (Likely all these things.)

I understand more young women are learning to play guitar and bass. (My daughter is at school) and Fender wants to tap into that. Plus this bass looks cool. 

• Like 5

Just now, Rayman said:

This

I interviewed Carol Kaye once and she wasn’t very complimentary about Fender basses. Being a brand ambassador is more than being a generational talent, you’re forced to sell the product and she’s not going to win many friends on YouTube. 

• Like 2

Just now, Burns-bass said:

I interviewed Carol Kaye once and she wasn’t very complimentary about Fender basses.

She plays a more budget level ibanez these days, so wouldn't be worth doing a fender custom shop, and its not really ibanezes target market to do signatures

26 minutes ago, Misdee said:

Just out of interest, what was it like, because I can't find any reference whatsoever on the internet? Presumably a P Bass. 

Very bling, '58 in blonde with anodised plate and gold hardware. There was one for sale on here for a few years, I was really tempted

2 hours ago, Misdee said:

I don't think she's a brilliant player. She's a reasonably competent player at an intermediate level. Marcus Miller she ain't.

She is, however, a marketable player. If she looked like Olive from On The Busses (I'm showing my age) we would never have heard of her and she wouldn't have a signature bass from Fender. 

I've never heard of her before, so I had a quick listen to a couple of minutes of the OP's clip. She might not be another Marcus Miller, but she's way above a 'reasonably competent player at an intermediate level' - sounds like a very competent pro to me. 

Of course she's got a signature bass because she's a 'marketable player'! As @Burns-bass says above, more young girls are getting interested in playing bass than before and Fender probably see her as someone who might be inspiring to any girl starting out playing bass, who may then aspire to her Fender signature model. Image has always been a factor in success in popular music and it always makes me laugh when any half decent looking woman who manages to break through and get a high profile gig gets comments along the lines of she only got the gig because of the way she looks - do you really think that Nikki Sixx would have his own signature model if he looked like Blakey from On The Busses? 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, peteb said:

I've never heard of her before, so I had a quick listen to a couple of minutes of the OP's clip. She might not be another Marcus Miller, but she's way above a 'reasonably competent player at an intermediate level' - sounds like a very competent pro to me. 

Of course she's got a signature bass because she's a 'marketable player'! As @Burns-bass says above, more young girls are getting interested in playing bass than before and Fender probably see her as someone who might be inspiring to any girl starting out playing bass, who may then aspire to her Fender signature model. Image has always been a factor in success in popular music and it always makes me laugh when any half decent looking woman who manages to break through and get a high profile gig gets comments along the lines of she only got the gig because of the way she looks - do you really think that Nikki Sixx would have his own signature model if he looked like Blakey from On The Busses? 

Agreed 👍

2 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

I interviewed Carol Kaye once and she wasn’t very complimentary about Fender basses. Being a brand ambassador is more than being a generational talent, you’re forced to sell the product and she’s not going to win many friends on YouTube. 

And I admire her even more for it. 

• Like 3