Why become a member? ×

Blu De Tiger. This girl is going to go far.

Mickyk

I think the "Oh wow, a woman playing a bass" sentiment is still too prevalent, and certainly being played on here.

Suzi Quatro and "the girl who played for Robbie Williams" (Yolanda Charles) at a stretch, would be the only two the general public would be aware of. Very sad really. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TimR said:

I think the "Oh wow, a woman playing a bass" sentiment is still too prevalent, and certainly being played on here.

Suzi Quatro and "the girl who played for Robbie Williams" (Yolanda Charles) at a stretch, would be the only two the general public would be aware of. Very sad really. 

Never heard of Gail Ann Dorsey then?

1 hour ago, TimR said:

I agree! 

The trouble is that many people react in one of two ways to a woman playing bass because it is still seen as a novelty, despite all the names being quoted here (and I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Tal Wilkenfeld). Either they are condescending and refuse to believe that they get any recognition on their own merits 'because they're a gurl', or, they fall over themselves to over-praise a girl's playing 'because it's a gurl', which is also condescending in my book. Blu DeTiger is a pretty good player, but many here have reacted in a way that they wouldn't to the many dozens of similar players out there. 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

42 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

Kim Deal

Patricia Morrison 

Carol Kaye

Melissa Auf der Maur

Sheryl Crow

Kim Gordon

Et al

You think if you asked the man in the street to name some female bass players they'd even have heard of them, let alone name them off the top of their heads.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TimR said:

You think if you asked the man in the street to name some bass players they'd even have heard of them, let alone name them off the top of their heads.

A small edit above and it’s probably almost as accurate.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TimR said:

I did sit down once and try to make a list of Bass players the general public would know as bass players. I didn't get very far even with the men.

A guitarist I played with once didn't even know who Jaco was. 

Jaco is forgivable, I played with a drummer who’d never heard of Paul McCartney, who is probably the most broadly famous bass player in the planet? 

14 hours ago, Dood said:

For basschatters, it's worth sharing that the Bass Gear Magazine newsletter is free to receive and you won't get bombarded with daily spam like some. Furthermore, all of the full video reviews, interviews and columns in the magazine are also free to read! 

You can subscribe via the link above. You can either enter your details on a side panel or at the bottom of the screen depending on what page you are looking at. 

You absolutely should follow the BassGearMag YouTube channel too!

Done.

Thanks for the nudge.

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, BreadBin said:

Maybe read before rushing to score a point? The post to which you responded stated that the "general public" would be unlikely to be aware of anyone other than Suzi Quatro and "the girl who played for Robbie Williams". I'm sure Tim knows who GAD is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan Dare said:

Maybe read before rushing to score a point? The post to which you responded stated that the "general public" would be unlikely to be aware of anyone other than Suzi Quatro and "the girl who played for Robbie Williams". I'm sure Tim knows who GAD is.

Ironic that you are calling me out when Tim is one of the worst for point scoring posts. I've never known anyone else who can confuse their opinion with fact more! 

• Haha 1