Why become a member? ×

Blu De Tiger. This girl is going to go far.

Mickyk

1 hour ago, peteb said:

I've never heard of her before, so I had a quick listen to a couple of minutes of the OP's clip. She might not be another Marcus Miller, but she's way above a 'reasonably competent player at an intermediate level' - sounds like a very competent pro to me. 

Of course she's got a signature bass because she's a 'marketable player'! As @Burns-bass says above, more young girls are getting interested in playing bass than before and Fender probably see her as someone who might be inspiring to any girl starting out playing bass, who may then aspire to her Fender signature model. Image has always been a factor in success in popular music and it always makes me laugh when any half decent looking woman who manages to break through and get a high profile gig gets comments along the lines of she only got the gig because of the way she looks - do you really think that Nikki Sixx would have his own signature model if he looked like Blakey from On The Busses? 

It depends what you call intermediate. I've seen better and I've seen worse. To my that makes her intermediate.

A top level player would be someone like Marcus Miller, ie with a deep knowledge of jazz ect.  I am reluctant to rate someone as being a "pro" level player because being a professional just means they do it for a living, it doesn't mean they are any good in terms of musical ability, taste or judgement. In my estimation this girl is an intermediate player, not exceptional but pretty good within limitations. There's nothing remotely new or original about how or what she plays, it's the same old thing lots of bass players on YouTube and Instagram play, same influences, same style. Nothing wrong with that though, if that's what people enjoy then great.

Anyhow, what struck me most when I watched the clip was not the music but more how she speaks and what she says. She wants to "inspire and empower" and for her bass to help people "live their best lives". This is the nonsense that young people thrive on nowadays, and a huge burden for them to take upon themselves. No wonder they are miserable.

And regarding Nikki Sixxx, I don't really know what to say. He always looked ridiculous to me. I never saw him as trading on his good looks. Or indeed his musical ability.

Carole Kay plays an Ibanez SRX700. Which were about £850 in 2006

Blu is all over my socials at the moment. I don't understand why anyone would be famous for being a bass player, unless they'd got countless recordings under their belt or been in a famous band for a long time. 

I see Daisy Pepper quite a bit. She plays with a few of the local musos. She's streets ahead of many bass players I know, she has a DarkGlass endorsment but she's not driving the socials as well as Blu. 

Edited by TimR

27 minutes ago, Misdee said:

It depends what you call intermediate. I've seen better and I've seen worse. To my that makes her intermediate.

A top level player would be someone like Marcus Miller, ie with a deep knowledge of jazz ect.  I am reluctant to rate someone as being a "pro" level player because being a professional just means they do it for a living, it doesn't mean they are any good in terms of musical ability, taste or judgement. In my estimation this girl is an intermediate player, not exceptional but pretty good within limitations. There's nothing remotely new or original about how or what she plays, it's the same old thing lots of bass players on YouTube and Instagram play, same influences, same style. Nothing wrong with that though, if that's what people enjoy then great.

Anyhow, what struck me most when I watched the clip was not the music but more how she speaks and what she says. She wants to "inspire and empower" and for her bass to help people "live their best lives". This is the nonsense that young people thrive on nowadays, and a huge burden for them to take upon themselves. No wonder they are miserable.

And regarding Nikki Sixxx, I don't really know what to say. He always looked ridiculous to me. I never saw him as trading on his good looks. Or indeed his musical ability.

I had a great laugh reading that. Do you have your own chair in the pub? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Does Carole Kaye have her own signature model bass..? :/

I feel like that wouldn't work out for a few reasons. She played a Fender on the records she's famous for, but today she favours an Ibanez which is a discontinued model. So if Fender approached her about a signature model, she's unlikely to play it, and Ibanez would have both the extra expense of bringing back a defunct model and the perception that people influenced by her older work are just going to buy a P-bass.

On top of that, she's quite an unfiltered, opinionated character prone to lengthy social media rants. She's a hugely important figure in popular music, but I wonder if she might not be the easiest person for companies to work with.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Misdee said:

There's a real, tangible gender inequality in the music industry (speaking as someone who works in it) and the more positive role models there from all demographics and backgrounds who can actively and visibly use their presence to show young people who might not otherwise see the creative industries as a viable career route that it's actually possible to follow your dreams and make a living out there, the better. 

If a bunch of young girls see Blu amongst the sea of typical blokes with guitars and think "maybe there's a space for me here after all?", then that's a positive thing. Doesn't sound like nonsense to me.

As a dad of two daughters, and having given work and experience opportunities to many of my wife's students when she spent 10 years teaching in another male-dominated creative industry, I'm acutely aware how important it is for people to have role models they can relate to, and the difference that can make in how they perceive their ambitions and their chances of success. 

Honestly, it's sad to see such a negative reaction to someone trying to put positivity out in what they do. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

She might not be as "good" as Marcus Miller/Jaco/Raphael/Donatello/Splinter/your favourite bass player from 40 years ago but she's much more in the current zeitgeist; I don't know her or her music but it's nice to see a bass player who's seen as both being part of a change in the established order of things and interesting enough to appeal to a demographic of future bass players who may otherwise not be exposed to the instrument.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mike257 said:

There's a real, tangible gender inequality in the music industry (speaking as someone who works in it) and the more positive role models there from all demographics and backgrounds who can actively and visibly use their presence to show young people who might not otherwise see the creative industries as a viable career route that it's actually possible to follow your dreams and make a living out there, the better. 

If a bunch of young girls see Blu amongst the sea of typical blokes with guitars and think "maybe there's a space for me here after all?", then that's a positive thing. Doesn't sound like nonsense to me.

As a dad of two daughters, and having given work and experience opportunities to many of my wife's students when she spent 10 years teaching in another male-dominated creative industry, I'm acutely aware how important it is for people to have role models they can relate to, and the difference that can make in how they perceive their ambitions and their chances of success. 

Honestly, it's sad to see such a negative reaction to someone trying to put positivity out in what they do. 

Like a lot of people nowadays, you automatically equate equality with virtue, and inequality with injustice. 

11 minutes ago, Misdee said:

Like a lot of people nowadays, you automatically equate equality with virtue, and inequality with injustice. 

I've worked in live touring for over a decade and by and large, it's an absolute sausage-fest and not representative of the population as a whole. 

When I've spoken to young female techs and musicians, one of the big things I hear about is the lack of role models, or I hear that having a role model/mentor who they could relate to was a hugely important part of their journey. When I hear incredibly talented and capable women telling me they're leaving the industry because they're finding it hard to thrive in such a "boys club", it tells me something is seriously wrong. 

Having people (like Blu - although I hadn't come across her before this thread) who are visible and setting that example is, as I said, a positive thing. 

Your reply suggests you don't think encouraging people from more diverse backgrounds in to the creative industries is a good thing. Why is that?

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, mike257 said:

I've worked in live touring for over a decade and by and large, it's an absolute sausage-fest and not representative of the population as a whole. 

When I've spoken to young female techs and musicians, one of the big things I hear about is the lack of role models, or I hear that having a role model/mentor who they could relate to was a hugely important part of their journey. When I hear incredibly talented and capable women telling me they're leaving the industry because they're finding it hard to thrive in such a "boys club", it tells me something is seriously wrong. 

Having people (like Blu - although I hadn't come across her before this thread) who are visible and setting that example is, as I said, a positive thing. 

Your reply suggests you don't think encouraging people from more diverse backgrounds in to the creative industries is a good thing. Why is that?

Why do you assume that I should prioritise diversity and representation? It's your preference and preoccupation, not necessarily mine. You have no right to expect it should be so for everyone else.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, mike257 said:

I really got into Justin Townes-Earl whose double bass player was outstanding. She quit the business and now sells houses

4 minutes ago, Beedster said:

I really got into Justin Townes-Earl whose double bass player was outstanding. She quit the business and now sells houses

Well Justin died of an overdose, so I think he endured a crueler fate. There's worse things in life than being an estate agent. 

1 hour ago, Misdee said:

Well Justin died of an overdose, so I think he endured a crueler fate. There's worse things in life than being an estate agent. 

Regardless to that, as an estate agent her income potential would be orders of magnitude higher than that of a session bass player.

Bryn Davies.

Along with her many studio and side projects, Davies currently tours with Darrell ScottJack White and Scott Miller.

Davies has lived in Knoxville, Tennessee since 2014 and received a bachelor's degree in Nuclear Engineering from the University of Tennessee in 2019. As of 2020 she is employed as a safety engineer at the Y-12 National Security Complex in Oak Ridge, Tennessee and continues to play bass as a sideline to her new career instead of as a full-time profession.

11 minutes ago, TimR said:

Bryn Davies.

Along with her many studio and side projects, Davies currently tours with Darrell ScottJack White and Scott Miller.

Davies has lived in Knoxville, Tennessee since 2014 and received a bachelor's degree in Nuclear Engineering from the University of Tennessee in 2019. As of 2020 she is employed as a safety engineer at the Y-12 National Security Complex in Oak Ridge, Tennessee and continues to play bass as a sideline to her new career instead of as a full-time profession.

Let's face it, it's not rocket science is it?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Jackroadkill said:

She might not be as "good" as Marcus Miller/Jaco/Raphael/Donatello/Splinter/your favourite bass player from 40 years ago but she's much more in the current zeitgeist; I don't know her or her music but it's nice to see a bass player who's seen as both being part of a change in the established order of things and interesting enough to appeal to a demographic of future bass players who may otherwise not be exposed to the instrument.

To be fair, Marcus has had a lot longer to get good at it. She’s better than me by a country mile so good luck to her, regardless of gender or looks 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Regardless to that, as an estate agent her income potential would be orders of magnitude higher than that of a session bass player.

Which of course was my point, she apparently struggled to get gigs post-Justin, part of the problem being the still male dominated Nashville session scene 

43 minutes ago, Minininjarob said:

I’m a middle aged man just starting out on bass and I’m frankly appalled by some of the comments on here about Blu and whether she deserves a signature bass. No wonder young people - especially females - aren’t picking up basses any more if these sorts of attitudes are around in the bass playing world. 

Agreed. This thread is nuts. 

• Like 7

Just have a look at her Wikipedia page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu_DeTiger?wprov=sfla1

She's been playing since she was 7, was touring with bands before COVID, during which she's exploded on social media and has now made a solo career out of singing and playing bass. Why is anyone getting upset about it? She's currently popular with millions of streams on Spotify and has great chops. No-one should be surprised someone reached out about a signature model. If it inspires people to start playing bass, that's super cool. 

Bass lines also need to fit the music. Maybe she's got mad jazz skills, but doesn't need to use them day to day in what she wants to do. 

Has Mikey Way from My Chemical Romance set the world on fire with his playing style, or is he in a popular band? A signature bass is a popularity contest. 

My niece is starting rock school next week at 6 years old and has been allocated bass. I really hope she doesn't come under fire like this if she ever becomes a well known player. 

Edited by MichaelDean
Fixing autocorrect
  • Like 11