Why become a member? ×

Blu De Tiger. This girl is going to go far.

Mickyk

37 minutes ago, MichaelDean said:

My niece is starting rock school next week at 6 years old and has been allocated bass. I really hope she doesn't come under fire like this if she ever becomes a well known player. 

To be fair, it's just one guy saying "she's a girl and she isn't as good as Marcus Miller, it's all woke innit"! Everyone else is saying that it's a positive thing that she's up there as an potential inspiration to young female bassists. 

If your niece (or nephew as well for that matter) is going to make their way as a musician they will need a much thicker skin than allowing themselves to get upset by this type of nonsense. 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Minininjarob said:

I’m a middle aged man just starting out on bass and I’m frankly appalled by some of the comments on here about Blu and whether she deserves a signature bass. No wonder young people - especially females - aren’t picking up basses any more if these sorts of attitudes are around in the bass playing world. 

55 minutes ago, ped said:

Agreed. This thread is nuts. 

Not the first time we’ve seen this type of thing on BC either. :facepalm: :( 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, peteb said:

To be fair, it's just one guy saying "she's a girl and she isn't as good as Marcus Miller, it's all woke innit"! Everyone else is saying that it's a positive thing that she's up there as an potential inspiration to young female bassists. 

If your niece (or nephew as well for that matter) is going to make their way as a musician they will need a much thicker skin than allowing themselves to get upset by this type of nonsense. 

I know. I just don't quite understand where those opinions come from. Possibly went a bit overboard...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MichaelDean said:

She's been playing since she was 7, was touring with bands before COVID, during which she's exploded on social media and has now made a solo career out of singing and playing bass.

I think the playing since she was 7 is key here. Most of us (all?) come from a time where you weren't taught electric instrument, you bought your first electric guitar when you were 15 and joined a band and learned in your bedroom. 

Couple that with the fact shes actually 26 years old, older than she looks and there's obviously a lot of marketing going on here.

A young bass player suddenly appearing on the scene isn't normal, regardless of gender. Usually it's singer songwriters on guitars. 

Personally, I think that wikipedia article needs a lot of work. It doesn't really fit the Wikipedia guidelines, there's a lot of dressing up and wooliness, it reads like a typical stage bio/CV. 

7 hours ago, TimR said:

Bryn Davies.

Along with her many studio and side projects, Davies currently tours with Darrell ScottJack White and Scott Miller.

Davies has lived in Knoxville, Tennessee since 2014 and received a bachelor's degree in Nuclear Engineering from the University of Tennessee in 2019. As of 2020 she is employed as a safety engineer at the Y-12 National Security Complex in Oak Ridge, Tennessee and continues to play bass as a sideline to her new career instead of as a full-time profession.

Never trust Talkbass. Glad to hear she's doing significantly better than was rumoured Tim 👍

11 hours ago, Misdee said:

Why do you assume that I should prioritise diversity and representation? It's your preference and preoccupation, not necessarily mine. You have no right to expect it should be so for everyone else.

Just my tupence worth:

1. She sounds pretty good to me. If I were a young lass rather than an old(ish) bloke I would definitely think yeah I would like to play like her.

2. When festivals first announced a more equal split between male/female artists I thought it was a bit unfair and artists should be judged on merit alone. I have to admit to being wrong on that one. The quality and number of all female bands has definitely been on an upward projection since.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, peteb said:

Would be nice to live in a world where rhino skin was not a prerequisite though.

• Like 4

Just now, peteb said:

But it is and always has been, same as any artistic pursuit (or even sporting for that matter)! 

Doesn't make it right, and doesn't make me wrong to hope for better.  We can do better - most of this kind of "commentary" is bitter, jealous bile.  Can people not just be happy for someone making their way in the world instead of trying to tear them down in a ghoulish zero sum game of "if I'm going nowhere, I'm going to try and make sure I drag you down with me"?  At the very least, keep it zipped.  I don't really directly care that Blu De Tiger has a signature bass, it's a Jazz so I'm immediately out :D but I think it's a good thing for there to be more female beacons of hope in this sausage fest of a pastime/hobby/career/industry.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, peteb said:

I really don't appreciate you  or anyone else misrepresenting what I posted. I never said anything about "woke", or anything to do with that kind of thing. Not least of all because Fender making this signature bass is far from "woke".  

Put simply, the reason Fender have given this person their attention is because she is an a beautiful young woman, not because she is an exceptional  or successful musician. Like I also said, there's nothing wrong with her bass playing, she's pretty good, but not exceptional. I only pointed out that there's nothing unusual about how or what she plays the bass, it's fairly typical. There's lots of similar players. 

I also pointed out that she hasn't had any mainstream commercial success with her music. That's demonstrably true. And I mentioned Marcus Miller as an example because he is a benchmark example of a truly exceptional musician who had a Fender signature bass. That's all I said, and I don't think there's anything contentious in that. The rest is everyone else projecting their own prejudices and preconceptions onto what I wrote. I  can't be held responsible for that.

Like I  already said, if people enjoy  Blue, her music and this bass then great. I never said she shouldn't have her own bass, I never said it was wrong. But it is what it is, let's not pretend otherwise.

Ironically enough, if they offered this bass in a colour other than blue I might buy one. I really like the sound of the humbucker at the bridge, and lightweight is good for me nowadays. It's just that I don't like the colour.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Misdee said:

I really don't appreciate you  or anyone else misrepresenting what I posted. I never said anything about "woke", or anything to do with that kind of thing. Not least of all because Fender making this signature bass is far from "woke".  

Put simply, the reason Fender have given this person their attention is because she is an a beautiful young woman, not because she is an exceptional  or successful musician. Like I also said, there's nothing wrong with her bass playing, she's pretty good, but not exceptional. I only pointed out that there's nothing unusual about how or what she plays the bass, it's fairly typical. There's lots of similar players. 

I also pointed out that she hasn't had any mainstream commercial success with her music. That's demonstrably true. And I mentioned Marcus Miller as an example because he is a benchmark example of a truly exceptional musician who had a Fender signature bass. That's all I said, and I don't think there's anything contentious in that. The rest is everyone else projecting their own prejudices and preconceptions onto what I wrote. I  can't be held responsible for that.

Like I  already said, if people enjoy  Blue, her music and this bass then great. I never said she shouldn't have her own bass, I never said it was wrong. But it is what it is, let's not pretend otherwise.

Ironically enough, if they offered this bass in a colour other than blue I might buy one. I really like the sound of the humbucker at the bridge, and lightweight is good for me nowadays. It's just that I don't like the colour.

You could at least do her the courtesy of spelling her name correctly.

9 minutes ago, Misdee said:

What counts as ‘mainstream commercial success’ is very different today than in Miller’s era though 👍

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Misdee said:

Your clutching at straws now, aren't you?

I'll spell  her name how I like.

Can you explain this lack of respect? 

Is it because she is attractive? Or just that she is more successful than you?

For reference, her name is her given name, not a showbiz nom de plume.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, neepheid said:

It's all you're worth, you curmudgeon.

I don't respond to personal abuse. (Except by stating that I don't respond to personal abuse.)

1 minute ago, BreadBin said:

Can you explain this lack of respect? 

Is it because she is attractive? Or just that she is more successful than you?

For reference, her name is her given name, not a showbiz nom de plume.

Then her parents have a lot to answer for.

Edited by Misdee
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Misdee said:

I don't respond to personal abuse. (Except by stating that I don't respond to personal abuse.)

How convenient.  Dish it out, but can't take it back.  A classic.  I don't see what I said as abusive either, you are being a surly curmudgeon in this thread - surely the weight of replies disagreeing with your stance should tell you that.

Do yourself (and the rest of us) a favour - go and have a think.

• Like 2

Just now, neepheid said:

How convenient.  Dish it out, but can't take it back.  A classic.  I don't see what I said as abusive either, you are being a surly curmudgeon in this thread - surely the weight of replies disagreeing with your stance should tell you that.

Do yourself (and the rest of us) a favour - go and have a think.

No I don't "dish it out". I am always polite and considered in what I post.  Your just making things up now to suit your own narrative.