Why become a member? ×

Blu De Tiger. This girl is going to go far.

Mickyk

I've been following Miss De Tiger's career with interest since around the start of the pandemic. There's no doubt she has bass chops, and knows how to hold down a groove. I'm sure she will go on to greater things and is in my opinion an ambassador for young up and coming players.  Always good to see new and interesting bass players breaking through. Purely from a bass point of view, and regarding her signature model, its way too bling for an oldie like me, and a fairly hefty price tag for a MIM bass imho.  Back in 2020 she was playing an Ocean Turqoise American Elite Jazz, and some of the live sessions, and tab sessions she did really popped using that elite jazz bass. It may be a little pricey compared even to her new signature model, but I'd plump for the Elite Jazz in Ocean Turquoise every time. Just curious who the target audience might be for her new signature model. I think its safe to say her signature model has even out sparkled the Adam Clayton purple signature jazz🙄

It's been disheartening to sit and read so many people misrepresenting what I said about this girl and try to assassinate my character. Never let the facts get in the way of virtue-signalling. Some of you seem to be having a whale of a time. I wish I could take each and every one of you to task but I literally don't have the time, and besides which, it would be a bit of shame to spoil your fun. You really seem to have got the bit between your teeth.

I would just like to reiterate that I never said that she couldn't play, I never said she played badly. I just said she wasn't a brilliant player. An endless queue of supplicants posting how "she plays better than me" doesn't make her so either. Like I said, she's pretty good, not great. Great is a high benchmark, though. Great is Marcus Miller level playing, or Jaco or Tony Levin. To be brilliant you have to be original, innovative. She's a capable player but there's nothing particularly new or original about her music.

And as many folks have quite rightly pointed out, you don't have to be an outstanding musician to have a signature bass. Look at the Fender DeeDee Ramone P Bass, or the Nate Mendel.I could name lots more. Manufacturers just want to sell basses, I agree. But show me where I said this Tiger woman shouldn't have a signature bass and I'll buy one despite the fact I hate the colour scheme. Looking at it every day will be punishment in itself.

On the subject of the actual bass, when she says "I want my bass to inspire and empower people to become their best selves" and similar twaddle I can't help but think "Have you ever bought a brand new Fender bass and experienced their legendary quality control? You would be better occupied hoping that their isn't a gaping 3mm gap between the neck pocket and the neck and that every note above the 15th fret doesn't choke." It would be lovely if Fender put out a YouTube video of their disappointed customers returning their defective purchases to the retailer for a refund or replacement. I've been there myself too many times.

And if her looks haven't played a significant role in her being plucked from the chorus of internet bass players, what has? Do you really think her good looks are incidental to her burgeoning media profile? You are very naive if you do. I never criticised her for it, I never said she shouldn't do it. Like I said to begin with, that is the way of the world. But you shouldn't blame me for noticing. Somehow that is considered a heretical point of view when all I'm doing is stating the obvious.

You are all so keen to pile on me and characterise me as a bitter old man, but that's only because you can only deal in stereotypes. You think because someone has a certain viewpoint they must be like the clichés you associate with those attitudes. It's the way you try and make sense of things you can't accommodate.

It's a good job it's water off a duck's back to me, but  some of you ought to be more tolerant of other people's opinions. I might disagree with some people's opinions on this subject, but I am not trying to make personal attacks on them because of their differing beliefs. The way some of you behave is tantamount to bullying. Someone else might not be so robust and take it to heart.

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Misdee said:

And if her looks haven't played a significant role in her being plucked from the chorus of internet bass players, what has? Do you really think her good looks are incidental to her burgeoning media profile? You are very naive if you do. I never criticised her for it, I never said she shouldn't do it. Like I said to begin with, that is the way of the world. But you shouldn't blame me for noticing. Somehow that is considered a heretical point of view when all I'm doing is stating the obvious.

There is no evidence that this is the case and you’re diminishing her ability with a sexist opinion. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, mike257 said:

I'm not sure what it says for how welcoming a space the forum is for them that Juliet hasn't logged in for two years, and Cici hasn't for almost a year!

There was a time I didn’t log in for a year. That they have not means nothing.

We do need to make this a female-friendly space though and I’m not sure that we are always hitting the spot….but at least we are doing better than talkbass. 

• Like 1

I made it through that rig-rundown video, but only just. It was made last year, so I guess she was still only 25, but I found it a bit cringeworthy. There are 99 ways to describe something other than ‘sick’ and the surfer dude ‘totally’ vibe wore a bit thin for me. interesting what she said about improv/jamming on bass when she was DJ’ing. That’s something I’ve not heard of before, but what a great idea! I was going to watch the Aguilar pod-cast video, but I was knackered and had to turn in. Might give it a look later.

4 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

There was a time I didn’t log in for a year. That they have not means nothing.
We do need to make this a female-friendly space though and I’m not sure that we are always hitting the spot….but at least we are doing better than talkbass. 

They’re probably both too busy on tour and being promoted by their record company 😎

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

There is no evidence that this is the case and you’re diminishing her ability with a sexist opinion. 

Good looks do sell

Which is why I haven’t been bought 

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Misdee said:

It's been disheartening to sit and read so many people misrepresenting what I said about this girl and try to assassinate my character. Never let the facts get in the way of virtue-signalling. Some of you seem to be having a whale of a time. I wish I could take each and every one of you to task but I literally don't have the time, and besides which, it would be a bit of shame to spoil your fun. You really seem to have got the bit between your teeth.

C'mon, that's mainly BS and you seem to enjoy coming in and aggressively posting about a subject then getting all upset if people call you out on it. FWIW, I agree with most of what you now say - my issue was that saying that she was 'intermediate' was diminishing her, as was the general tone of your initial posts. 

23 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

No, he's right, her appearance is a big part of her success and to point this out is not being sexist. But so what! Looks have always been a big part of success in popular music, male or female. I put forward the case of Nikki Sixx, but the same applies going back to Frank Sinatra and Elvis. Don't you think that part of the Beatles initial appeal was that Paul McCartney was very good looking and record companies knew that would appeal to teenage girls? 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, peteb said:

Paul McCartney was very good looking and record companies knew that would appeal to teenage girls? 

By all accounts what Pete Best lacked in the drumming department he more than made up for in the looks department and attracted Epstein’s attention.

45 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

The last girl to join was accused of being AI. 🤷‍♂️

16 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

By all accounts what Pete Best lacked in the drumming department he more than made up for in the looks department and attracted Epstein’s attention.

Which by several accounts led to his sacking - his good looks were taking attention away from McCartney, while he and Lennon were setting themselves up as the leaders and focal point of the band. 

Bands eh...! 

Edited by peteb

In this very modern & respectable world today’s Metro has an article about the most desired James Bond actor. Pierce Brosnan tipped it. I’m sure they didn’t base it on looks at all……

Edited by Lozz196

12 minutes ago, peteb said:

No, he's right, her appearance is a big part of her success and to point this out is not being sexist. 

And you know this how? It is sexist to suggest that a female has been successful because she is female and looks good as apposed to her skill.* Whether she looks good or not, is opinion. 
Do you think her audience is old men wishing they could sleep with her or people trying to learn something new and enjoy music? I hope and believe it is the latter.

*obviously removing the women/ men who do literally sell themselves on looks.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

And you know this how? It is sexist to suggest that a female has been successful because she is female and looks good as apposed to her skill.* Whether she looks good or not, is opinion. 
Do you think her audience is old men wishing they could sleep with her or people trying to learn something new and enjoy music? I hope and believe it is the latter.

*obviously removing the women/ men who do literally sell themselves on looks.

That's just idiotic and is justifying everything that @Misdee has been saying!  

FWIW, I would guess that her success is largely down to her being an aspirational figure to her followers on social media who are impressed by both her abilities and her image. I would imagine that many (if not most) of these followers will be female. 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Misdee said:

I would just like to reiterate that I never said that she couldn't play, I never said she played badly. I just said she wasn't a brilliant player. An endless queue of supplicants posting how "she plays better than me" doesn't make her so either. Like I said, she's pretty good, not great. Great is a high benchmark, though. Great is Marcus Miller level playing, or Jaco or Tony Levin. To be brilliant you have to be original, innovative. She's a capable player but there's nothing particularly new or original about her music.

And as many folks have quite rightly pointed out, you don't have to be an outstanding musician to have a signature bass. Look at the Fender DeeDee Ramone P Bass, or the Nate Mendel.I could name lots more. Manufacturers just want to sell basses, I agree. But show me where I said this Tiger woman shouldn't have a signature bass and I'll buy one despite the fact I hate the colour scheme. Looking at it every day will be punishment in itself.

On the subject of the actual bass, when she says "I want my bass to inspire and empower people to become their best selves" and similar twaddle I can't help but think "Have you ever bought a brand new Fender bass and experienced their legendary quality control? You would be better occupied hoping that their isn't a gaping 3mm gap between the neck pocket and the neck and that every note above the 15th fret doesn't choke." It would be lovely if Fender put out a YouTube video of their disappointed customers returning their defective purchases to the retailer for a refund or replacement. I've been there myself too many times.

You are all so keen to pile on me and characterise me as a bitter old man, but that's only because you can only deal in stereotypes. You think because someone has a certain viewpoint they must be like the clichés you associate with those attitudes. It's the way you try and make sense of things you can't accommodate.

It's a good job it's water off a duck's back to me, but  some of you ought to be more tolerant of other people's opinions. I might disagree with some people's opinions on this subject, but I am not trying to make personal attacks on them because of their differing beliefs. The way some of you behave is tantamount to bullying. Someone else might not be so robust and take it to heart.

Oh my goodness, you should go into comedy with a performance like that. 😂

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, peteb said:

That's just idiotic and is justifying everything that @Misdee has been saying!  

FWIW, I would guess that her success is largely down to her being an aspirational figure to her followers on social media who are impressed by both her abilities and her image. I would imagine that many (if not most) of these followers will be female. 

Abilities and image. Exactly the two reasons I found Jaco and Mick Karn so aspirational in the 80's, but Mark King and Pino less so. If that makes me superficial so be it 😀

She's attractive albeit in a fairly conventional way, although generally conventional is more palatable for mainstream success than anything even vaguely extreme. 

She knows how to make the most of her image which I can see will upset a forum of mostly middle-aged men many of whom wouldn't know an image if it slapped them around the face and seemingly most of the time can barely dress themselves.

The music itself is the problem because from what I've heard IMO it's the sort of thing that mostly appeals to other musicians, and the sorts of pseuds that think a bit of showy technical ability is more important than having a memorable tune, and again the majority of these are men.

And good on her if she's been able to persuade Fender into making her a signature bass. I'm sure that there's plenty of people on here who would like a (free) signature instrument from their favourite manufacturer. 

What happens next will depend on what she wants to do. I can imagine that after being a TikTok/Instagram/YouTube star, joining a gigging band might be a bit of a come-down.

6 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

She's attractive albeit in a fairly conventional way, although generally conventional is more palatable for mainstream success than anything even vaguely extreme. 

She knows how to make the most of her image which I can see will upset a forum of mostly middle-aged men many of whom wouldn't know an image if it slapped them around the face and seemingly most of the time can barely dress themselves.

The music itself is the problem because from what I've heard IMO it's the sort of thing that mostly appeals to other musicians, and the sorts of pseuds that think a bit of showy technical ability is more important than having a memorable tune, and again the majority of these are men.

And good on her if she's been able to persuade Fender into making her a signature bass. I'm sure that there's plenty of people on here who would like a (free) signature instrument from their favourite manufacturer. 

What happens next will depend on what she wants to do. I can imagine that after being a TikTok/Instagram/YouTube star, joining a gigging band might be a bit of a come-down.

All good points but again relates to the 'what is commercial success?' question raised earlier. Why would she need to join a gigging band, she can no doubt have an easier, more financially rewarding, and potentially happier life generating content, recording music, and monetising other processes related to these? If either of my daughters wanted to be a musicians these days and were given the choice of an 18-month World tour (and those of you who've done them know that the excitement wears off after a week), or being around their close friends, doing what they love doing but having a normal life beyond it, I suspect I know what my advice would be 👍

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

There are 99 ways to describe something other than ‘sick’ and the surfer dude ‘totally’ vibe wore a bit thin for me

Honestly I have met some people that talk just like that, it isn't that unusual for her age and origin, and probably also from not being used to being interviewed standing up in a one to one, there is a level of stress in that.

7 hours ago, Misdee said:

You would be better occupied hoping that their isn't a gaping 3mm gap between the neck pocket and the neck and that every note above the 15th fret doesn't choke." It would be lovely if Fender put out a YouTube video of their disappointed customers returning their defective purchases to the retailer for a refund or replacement. I've been there myself too many times.

Actually one of the videos of that very bass the guy said that on one of the ones he had, the screws on the bottom of the pickguard didn't actually connect to the side of the wood by the chambering, so he opened the other two he had up, and they didn't have that problem.

15 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

4 minutes ago, Beedster said:

All good points but again relates to the 'what is commercial success?' question raised earlier. Why would she need to join a gigging band, she can no doubt have an easier, more financially rewarding, and potentially happier life generating content, recording music, and monetising other processes related to these? If either of my daughters wanted to be a musicians these days and were given the choice of an 18-month World tour (and those of you who've done them know that the excitement wears off after a week), or being around their close friends, doing what they love doing but having a normal life beyond it, I suspect I know what my advice would be 👍

You know she's been fronting her own touring band for yonks, right?