Why become a member? ×

Tried listening to Adele today.........

Beedster

I asked my youngest who she'd like to listen to while did did some work in the garden this morning, and my heart sank when she replied 'Adele please Dad'.

OK, very few of her songs appeal to me, but wow, the box I use for music in the garden really exaggerates the bass, and the bass playing on many of Adele's songs is beautiful, and for what appear at first listen to be pretty average songs in terms of structure, also really quite inventive. 

Loved this line

• Like 4

Oh thank heavens... I thought this was going to be another "Bah! Modern music is rubbish!" thread. 😀

She's got a hell of a voice and can certainly write a song.... anyone who can listen to "Someone like you" and not feel a flicker of emotion* should hand themselves in to their local police station immediately.

Some bloke called 'Pinot Palladin' (?) on Bass for '21' - he sounds half decent and I'm sure he'll go a long way.

* Anyone who replies 'hatred' or 'disgust' - straight to prison.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, StingRayBoy42 said:

Oh thank heavens... I thought this was going to be another "Bah! Modern music is rubbish!" thread. 😀

She's got a hell of a voice and can certainly write a song.... anyone who can listen to "Someone like you" and not feel a flicker of emotion* should hand themselves in to their local police station immediately.

Some bloke called 'Pinot Palladin' (?) on Bass for '21' - he sounds half decent and I'm sure he'll go a long way.

I must admit, I'm enjoying it. She appears to be one of the current wave of artists famous for producing relatively sad/introspective ballads while at the same time recording some much less well known up-tempo stuff (James Arthur is another god example, took my daughters to see him a while back expecting an evening of melancholy and was instead treated to some great music and some great musicianship). And yes, her voice is something else when you give yourself a chance to really indulge it. Hell of an artist.

And I didn't realise it was Pino, makes sense, the playing and parts are immaculate :)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I remember her doing Someone Like You at The Brits. All the other acts had dancers and costume changes, she had a piano player and sang. She stole the show.

Funnily enough just listened to it, only thing could make it better is some bowed double bass towards the end 👍

• Like 3

6 hours ago, StingRayBoy42 said:

And Chris "Daddy" Dave on kit. She does not mess around. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

Criticise Adele at your peril on Basschat!

That was comedy, I think my sole contribution on the final page summed it up perfectly

On 16/05/2023 at 21:15, Beedster said:

What an amusing thread 🤔

👍

Edited by Beedster

Very much like the Beatles, I don't care for her music particularly, but I recognise the talent in her voice and songwriting, she's a rare thing.

She doesn't speak for me is all. 

At least she can write more than one type of song eh? Looking at you Sheeran.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, neepheid said:

So, where's her signature bass so we can have a moan about that?

;)

Well, I guess it might be something like this one.

I’m a huge fan of Adele. Great voice, great writer and she’s very funny with it.

Scroll to 4:45 if you don’t want to hear the song. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I suspect that because a) I don't like singing as the whole point of a song, b) I don't like moany songs about boyfriends/girlfriends/break-ups, c) I do like something a bit different, d) I do like a bit of a pumpin' beat,  then I'm not really the target market for Adele.

Still, she can belt 'em out, seems relatively reasonable and likes a bit of a joke, so I have nowt against her.

Though I'd prefer not to have to listen to her!