Why become a member? ×

Canva - *Free* Graphics/Promo Creator

colleya

Sharing a little love for Canva.com, a free graphics creation site.

It has loads of templates and editable designs for everything from A3 posters to Instagram posts and facebook banners.

If you work in a school (like I do) you can get a free upgrade to the pro account, which adds features like social media post scheduler, animations, premium content etc etc.

As an example, I have zero artistic ability and I used it to make my new band's logo and this instagram animated/audio promo in about 15 minutes.

#Edit Apologies, I can't make the promo any smaller!

TTFCFinalLogo.png.ecf3d4e68337eb5c2962e9ca2bedde93.png

Edited by colleya
Apology for bigness & add hyperlink
  • Like 4

I work for a charity & only found out last week we get the free pro account. Had a quick mess around & it looks very intuitive & comprehensive. I have a poster design to do for next week so will be giving it a proper tryout tomorrow.

AFAIK Canva's related to the free photo/video site pexels.com - I've been using their endless repository of images & video clips for years. Easy to lose hours there!

• Like 1

I've used the free version of the app for a few years for band stuff. Some of the templates are decent enough for a complete amateur graphic designer like me 😁

Quite like this one that looks like a folded and creased poster, suits our rockin' lion.

BlackWhiteGrungeRockConcertFlyer_20240131_000143_0000.thumb.png.9c74adc07d37c97bfe1ae703c2d74ba5.png

Just be aware that if you want to do anything reasonably complex with Canva you could run into trouble.

These days a significant proportion of my paying work is fixing graphic design that has either not come out the way that was intended when committed to paper or is essentially unprintable. More and more I'm finding that these problematic graphics have been created in Canva. 

I'm finding that PDFs made by Canva are producing some very strange PostScript (the language used by professional printing systems) with multiple nested clipping paths and fill colours created by using a clipping paths around single colour bitmap objects. Both of these make the artwork unnecessarily complex and consequently difficult to edit in Illustrator which is what is normally required to name the artwork printable in the way the "designer" intended.