Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM 500 Evo III
£150
Leicester

bassbiscuits

Ashdown ABM 500 Evo III amp head, bought from @Jono Bolton of this parish earlier this year. 

As explained in Jono’s original advert, it's a wide version that was produced when there were a surplus of combo units and not enough head units to meet demand.

The amps were taken out of the combo chassis and placed into head sleeves. This one was at a later stage fitted into an ABM900 case which is slightly larger, hence the one-inch space between the bottom of the amp and the wooden case.

While it looks a bit odd it’s never the less a good working amp. There’s a note written onto the chassis inside confirming it was serviced in 2020. I believe the amp is from 2010 if I’ve understood the serial number correctly. 

The VU meter lights up but the dial doesn’t seem to respond - can’t say it’s worried me enough to fix it. Everything else works as it should. 

Anyway, it’s a decent loud Ashdown amp for little money if you’re ok with the slightly unusual look. Gigged it a couple of times and while it’s sounded great I’ve decided I prefer my Markbass rig. 

Only looking to get back what I paid for it which was £150. 

Meet up or collection would be good given the size/weight but get in touch if you’re interested and I’ll help if I can.  

cheers

IMG_6675.jpeg

IMG_6679.jpeg

IMG_6685.jpeg

IMG_6684.jpeg

IMG_6680.jpeg

IMG_6644.jpeg

IMG_6643.jpeg

IMG_6642.jpeg

IMG_6686.jpeg

Edited by bassbiscuits
Edited for typo
  • Like 1

How sad am I, what a cracking design and build.  Real size components in a sensible sized layout.  Large heatsinks with the fans located to do something useful. Repairable providing the components still exist.  All this for £150 :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jezzaboy said:

Just a bit of info. The writing on the inside means it was serviced by our own @DGBass a man who knows these Ashdown`s inside out and who I have bought a few from myself. I imagine he would know some history of the amp.

Ah nice one! That’s cool and definitely worth knowing. Much appreciated 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jezzaboy said:

Just a bit of info. The writing on the inside means it was serviced by our own @DGBass a man who knows these Ashdown`s inside out and who I have bought a few from myself. I imagine he would know some history of the amp.

I used this for a while before I eventually ordered my custom shop ABM 600 RC and I think thats about when it was sold on to the previous owner. A very loud, very clean and smooth running 575 watt example if I recall, and solid as a rock. It's a genuine 240V model and not one of the 230V versions. I've found the 240V models run cleaner and can be less prone to noise than 230V models. Not sure why. All new ABM's are 240V builds. This one also had a brand spanking new ABM EVO IV main pre-amp board fitted during lockdown, supplied by Guy Morel from Ashdown. It's worth as much as the asking price and means the pre-amp is very low noise and high quality. A lot of amp for the money, in a slightly bigger case. GLWTS. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DGBass said:

I used this for a while before I eventually ordered my custom shop ABM 600 RC and I think thats about when it was sold on to the previous owner. A very loud, very clean and smooth running 575 watt example if I recall, and solid as a rock. It's a genuine 240V model and not one of the 230V versions. I've found the 240V models run cleaner and can be less prone to noise than 230V models. Not sure why. All new ABM's are 240V builds. This one also had a brand spanking new ABM EVO IV main pre-amp board fitted during lockdown, supplied by Guy Morel from Ashdown. It's worth as much as the asking price and means the pre-amp is very low noise and high quality. A lot of amp for the money, in a slightly bigger case. GLWTS. 

Thanks @DGBass - that’s really helpful to share its history. Good to know it’s been used and enjoyed as a solid, reliable amp too!