Why become a member? ×

People are going mad for this?

ubit

1 hour ago, SumOne said:

Yeah, exactly. I think singing something like 'Is it worth the aggravation, to find yourself a job when there's nothing worth working for' basically needs a punky/boozy/aggro/attitude/don't give a shit....sing-shout in the street after a few too many beers sort of delivery, which is what Liam does. Someone with a powerful pitch perfect operatic five octave range isn't gonna really deliver the same message/character.

Indeed. The singing-lesson scene in The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle comes to mind. Surely the whole point of Oasis is that they are cocky, swaggering, musical junk food? Is there really any point in complaining that some people enjoy a bag of Wotsits with a can of lager?

5 minutes ago, Pseudonym said:

Indeed. The singing-lesson scene in The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle comes to mind. Surely the whole point of Oasis is that they are cocky, swaggering, musical junk food? Is there really any point in complaining that some people enjoy a bag of Wotsits with a can of lager?

I get that. In their day they were all that.

My point is they had their day and what they are serving up now isn't worth going mad for and forking out close to a thousand quid for a ticket.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

If you want to relive your youth, go and see some new bands at small venues where you can get up close and personal with them.

unfortunately most people don't share you opinion, they'd rather listen to music that transports them back to more youthful times

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SumOne said:

It's like saying Bob Dylan, Kurt Cobain, Johnny Rotten, Kanye West, Britney Spears etc. can't sing. Sure, they can't sing like an Opera singer but that's not what they are doing. 

I most definitely do not want to see Liam Gallagher in a schoolgirls uniform.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

unfortunately most people don't share you opinion, they'd rather listen to music that transports them back to more youthful times

Going to see a new band in a small venue does take me back to more youthful times. 

Going to see a band who are now just a pale imitation of everything that made them exciting back in the day at some enormo-drome where they are so far away that I would have to rely on the video screens to see them does not.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, diskwave said:

Whats really repugnant to me is his demeanour and attitude. Its all great fun when ur 17.. snarling spitting and hating on everything..but at nearly 50? Theres angry and there's.. someone simply needs help. 

As his brother said: 'he's like a man with a fork in a world of soup' 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Beer of the Bass said:

You just can't win with the Basschat sartorial police. Short skirt, low-cut top and calf boots - disapproval. Sensible anorak- still disapproval!

(this will make no sense if you haven't also been reading that other thread...)

Jeans and a dark tshirt or you aren't coming in!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Jeans and a dark tshirt or you aren't coming in!

You'd be surprised how many musicians can't even manage this.

On the occasions that The Terrortones had to use dep drummers or guitarists, the instruction would be that ideally we'd like them to wear a black leather biker jacket, black T-shirt, black jeans and black boots, but failing that, then a plain black T-shirt and jeans with no obvious visible band or brand logos would suffice and no trainers for the guitarist. The number of people who either couldn't or wouldn't follow this simple instruction was staggering.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Beer of the Bass said:

You just can't win with the Basschat sartorial police. Short skirt, low-cut top and calf boots - disapproval. Sensible anorak- still disapproval!

(this will make no sense if you haven't also been reading that other thread...)

I prefer him dressed in the anorak to him in a short skirt, low-cut top and calf boots.

3 hours ago, ubit said:

I get that. In their day they were all that.

My point is they had their day and what they are serving up now isn't worth going mad for and forking out close to a thousand quid for a ticket.

I suppose that for some people who weren't there back in the day, or would dearly love to be back in the day, it is cheaper than a time machine. I cannot comment on the nostalgic value for others, so the question of whether it is worth the enthusiasm and cost is really down to personal taste and expectations.

6 hours ago, diskwave said:

Whats really repugnant to me is his demeanour and attitude. Its all great fun when ur 17.. snarling spitting and hating on everything..but at nearly 50? Theres angry and there's.. someone simply needs help. 

He's probably musically ageist as well 😎

On 24/09/2024 at 06:04, miles'tone said:

He's good here too.

The style and tunes are obviously subjective but I love their album (big fan of John Squire) and was hoping for a second as Squire has a lot of it written already. 

Doubt that'll ever happen now thanks to all this Oasis malarkey 🙄

Shame, because Liam and John had put a great band together that was moving forwards. 

He's alright, yeah. Squire, on the other hand, could hardly look more bored! If people have paid the least you can do is pretend to be interested. Liked the song, though, and was not aware of the album so I'll go and have a listen.

26 minutes ago, Grooverjr said:

He's alright, yeah. Squire, on the other hand, could hardly look more bored! If people have paid the least you can do is pretend to be interested. Liked the song, though, and was not aware of the album so I'll go and have a listen.

I think he's just got one of those faces. I'm sure he's tingling on the inside 😄

10 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

He comes across the same in interviews. It's just the way he is. Good album though.

Yeah, he's the quintessential introvert. A man of few words who's probably more comfortable painting and making his art in peace. It is a good album. I'm surprised at how much I've taken to it actually as I don't really listen to guitar bands much anymore. I suppose it's nice to offset the bonkers jazz I usually play 😄

• Like 1