Why become a member? ×

Opinions/Advice Much Appreciated on Amp for Newbie

The Attic Man

Hi all,

sorry I don't post very often but I know when needed you wonderful bass heads have the expertise, wisdom and know how.

Basically I'm a old (53) newbie been attempting to learn since last October, I was gifted a bass (a early 90's Encore) and a small peavey amp. I've purchased a Blackstar headphone amp that I like. But I think the speaker is going in the peavey amp.

I'm thinking of possibly purchasing a amp and would appreciate your imput.

In no particular order I'm thinking of  . Blackstar Unity

. Fender Rumble Studio 40

. Orange Crush Bass 50 Combo

. Positive Grid Spark Black

I'm considering to go down the used route to try and save a few quid hopefully, I'm not in desperate need of it but i want to get some gear  🤣.

Thanks for your help.

Dave

Of the those listed the ones with extra plus points for me are 

Fender Rumble 40v3 - has drive on it

Orange Crush 50 - has onboard tuner

Person I’d look at the Rumble, being able to blend in some overdrive to the sound is a handy feature to have

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, JapanAxe said:

The Fender Rumble 40 punches well above its weight (it's pretty light) - I've heard one used in a 20-piece big band and it coped with ease.

The Orange Crush Amps are well made and sound ok.

No experience of the others.

Many thanks yeah I'm drawn to the rumble with all the onboard sounds etc and I don't know why but I like blackstar I'm sort of looking at them 2 I think i need to go somewhere and try them out 

19 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Of the those listed the ones with extra plus points for me are 

Fender Rumble 40v3 - has drive on it

Orange Crush 50 - has onboard tuner

Person I’d look at the Rumble, being able to blend in some overdrive to the sound is a handy feature to have

Many thanks yeah I've heard good things about both of those two and I also like the blackstar unity. I'm drawn to the rumble for all the extra sounds it packs  thanks so much for your input 

Rumbles are the standard recommendation for beginners or those who don't want to spend a lot. I would suggest you look at 100w, rather than 40. Most 40 or 50w combos have 8" (10" if you're lucky) speakers and won't set the world alight, especially if you want to use drive or dirty sounds (when they sound like an angry wasp). They won't gig, despite what anyone claims (barring maybe with an acoustic duo in a wine bar). They're also not that easy to sell on, as will inevitably happen should you a) improve and want something more capable or b) lose interest.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, The Attic Man said:

Hi all,

sorry I don't post very often but I know when needed you wonderful bass heads have the expertise, wisdom and know how.

Basically I'm a old (53) newbie been attempting to learn since last October, I was gifted a bass (a early 90's Encore) and a small peavey amp. I've purchased a Blackstar headphone amp that I like. But I think the speaker is going in the peavey amp.

I'm thinking of possibly purchasing a amp and would appreciate your imput.

In no particular order I'm thinking of  . Blackstar Unity

. Fender Rumble Studio 40

. Orange Crush Bass 50 Combo

. Positive Grid Spark Black

I'm considering to go down the used route to try and save a few quid hopefully, I'm not in desperate need of it but i want to get some gear  🤣.

Thanks for your help.

Dave

Welcome aboard - I’m a relative newbie and of more advanced too. When I started I was looking for an amp and I was so glad I made the time to go and try some out. I could barely fret a note but the guys in PMT and Richtone were so helpful and nice even though it was clear I couldn’t play. 
I wasn’t expecting the amps to sound so different to be honest, so I am glad I tried them out. 
One warning - don’t try amps you can’t afford it’s infuriating!!

I tried Ampeg combos and thought they were ok but a bit “meh”, I tried Ashdown, again I thought they sounded a bit boring. I didn’t try an Orange because no one had them in stock but wasn’t bothered as I don’t like the look of them. 
Then I tried a Fender Rumble - wow! So clear but punchy, just plucking one note I was like “yes that’s the sound I want”. I could turn up the drive if I wanted to to make it sound more gritty and there was a few buttons I could press to make it sound different (I didn’t know what they did at the time but they were a scoop option, vintage option etc). 
Couple of things to think about - I had briefly borrowed a small practice amp and hated it as there was barely any bass in it. When I tried the Rumble 40 then the 100 there was so much difference. I could hear what I was playing with the 40 but the 100 sounded like a PROPER amp. I figured that the extra money on the 100 would be well spent as I could feel like a real bassist (and to a beginner that means a lot!) and I thought it would do me for home practice as well as maybe my first band playing too. The 40 would not have worked in a full band. 
Also, as an electronics sort of guy I didn’t want the built in effects like the Studio version has. I figured that there is more to go wrong, and I might be paying more for something I don’t need or want and I could always buy a pedal or two later if I needed them once I knew a bit more about playing bass. 
I was going to buy new as I wanted the guarantee from a shop. In the end I got a 2nd hand GK amp but I was literally on the way to buy the Rumble 100 new when the GK was offered to me. If anything happended to my GK I’d be buying a Rumble 100%. 

Hope that helps!

• Thanks 1

I'd be on the lookout for a Roland Bass Cube if I were in your position. Lots of sound options. You should be able to pick up the Bass Cube 30 for under a ton I should think. I've no experience of the others on your list I'm afraid, but I'd stay well clear of the Spark.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

Rumbles are the standard recommendation for beginners or those who don't want to spend a lot. I would suggest you look at 100w, rather than 40. Most 40 or 50w combos have 8" (10" if you're lucky) speakers and won't set the world alight, especially if you want to use drive or dirty sounds (when they sound like an angry wasp). They won't gig, despite what anyone claims (barring maybe with an acoustic duo in a wine bar). They're also not that easy to sell on, as will inevitably happen should you a) improve and want something more capable or b) lose interest.

28 minutes ago, Minininjarob said:

Welcome aboard - I’m a relative newbie and of more advanced too. When I started I was looking for an amp and I was so glad I made the time to go and try some out. I could barely fret a note but the guys in PMT and Richtone were so helpful and nice even though it was clear I couldn’t play. 
I wasn’t expecting the amps to sound so different to be honest, so I am glad I tried them out. 
One warning - don’t try amps you can’t afford it’s infuriating!!

I tried Ampeg combos and thought they were ok but a bit “meh”, I tried Ashdown, again I thought they sounded a bit boring. I didn’t try an Orange because no one had them in stock but wasn’t bothered as I don’t like the look of them. 
Then I tried a Fender Rumble - wow! So clear but punchy, just plucking one note I was like “yes that’s the sound I want”. I could turn up the drive if I wanted to to make it sound more gritty and there was a few buttons I could press to make it sound different (I didn’t know what they did at the time but they were a scoop option, vintage option etc). 
Couple of things to think about - I had briefly borrowed a small practice amp and hated it as there was barely any bass in it. When I tried the Rumble 40 then the 100 there was so much difference. I could hear what I was playing with the 40 but the 100 sounded like a PROPER amp. I figured that the extra money on the 100 would be well spent as I could feel like a real bassist (and to a beginner that means a lot!) and I thought it would do me for home practice as well as maybe my first band playing too. The 40 would not have worked in a full band. 
Also, as an electronics sort of guy I didn’t want the built in effects like the Studio version has. I figured that there is more to go wrong, and I might be paying more for something I don’t need or want and I could always buy a pedal or two later if I needed them once I knew a bit more about playing bass. 
I was going to buy new as I wanted the guarantee from a shop. In the end I got a 2nd hand GK amp but I was literally on the way to buy the Rumble 100 new when the GK was offered to me. If anything happended to my GK I’d be buying a Rumble 100%. 

Hope that helps!

7 minutes ago, Bigwan said:

I'd be on the lookout for a Roland Bass Cube if I were in your position. Lots of sound options. You should be able to pick up the Bass Cube 30 for under a ton I should think. I've no experience of the others on your list I'm afraid, but I'd stay well clear of the Spark.

Thanks so much for your input, really appreciate it.

Yeah don't think I can afford a 100W unless I buy 2nd hand or save for ages 🤣 very good point about the Studio 40 and i.e. more to go wrong, I may go down the route of Blackstar/Fender/Orange with no modelling. I definitely need to actually try some out, I'm in no rush so will wont buy on the impulse unless i see an absolute bargain 2nd hand :)

. Cant ever see me being good enough for a band (although i would love it) once again thanks so much for your words of wisdom / experience.

1 hour ago, The Attic Man said:

Yeah don't think I can afford a 100W unless I buy 2nd hand or save for ages 🤣 very good point about the Studio 40 and i.e. more to go wrong, I may go down the route of Blackstar/Fender/Orange with no modelling. I definitely need to actually try some out, I'm in no rush so will wont buy on the impulse unless i see an absolute bargain 2nd hand :)

. Cant ever see me being good enough for a band (although i would love it) once again thanks so much for your words of wisdom / experience.

Yes you will be good enough for a band. You don't need to be [famous bass player] to make a wonderful noise and have a great time with like minded people.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Attic Man said:

I didn’t think I’d be in a band but I made it something I would try and I love it, we haven’t played a gig yet and the guitarist is as new as me so it’s been a voyage of discovery for me too. 
The studio 40 rumble with the effects is more expensive than the standard 100w version so it’s a no brainer to get the 100w version if you can. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bremen said:

Yes you will be good enough for a band. You don't need to be [famous bass player] to make a wonderful noise and have a great time with like minded people.

11 minutes ago, Minininjarob said:

Couldn’t agree more!!

Same here, until you join a band there’s a lot of mystique about how good people in bands must be. Then you join one and realise that same with anything, accountants, firemen, footballers etc there are different levels, and that once committed that’s the first level.

• Like 3